The V-6 mod at Eldora!

Very impressive! I thought he would have had a good chance in the feature.
I didn't know that you were able to run V-6s in the mod class.
Did you take a look at the headers on that car?

the v-6 cars will without a doubt run with any v-8 car out there.here in central missouri(fulton) we have one,his name is roger mosier and his produces 525hp,alot less when you look at it compared to a v-8 but they are much lighter that far forward then the v-8s.when it dries out is when these motors really shine however when tacky and in the right hands watych out..brian franz in kansas as well has good luck with the v-6 he runs on occasion.

I was wondering if that car was a V-6, he had that bumble bee sound going on. If my memory is correct I thought when UMP Modifieds first came about you could run a V-6, but that was later changed to V-8's only. Am I dreaming this or does anybody else remember if it was ever that way.

UMP Engine Rule:

34. Any American made engine may be used as long as rear of engine bell housing flange is mounted at least 72” forward from the center of real axle. Engine offset must be kept within 2” of center line of front cross member. Engine height minimum 11” from ground to front center of crankshaft. No aluminum blocks!

One has to wonder if there might not have been more V-6s if the Busch series hadn't scrapped them. There's alot of free R&D work that the mod guys would have to do on their own now. About the only racers I know of who run the V-6s would be certain classes in drag racing's Comp Eliminator, and with things like the torque ranges being different for the different type of races,I'm guessing a lot of things they try might not work as well in a stock car format?

PITDRIFTER said:
If Memory Serves Me Correct, Dean And Darrell Didn't Run The V-6 The Whole Season.

I think they ultimately blew the motor, but don't quote me on that.

I'd think you'd be more likely to see such an oddball motor run by someone in the IMCA-mods than UMP just to avoid the claim rule problem.

Hoffman V6's

Darrell tried the V6 for an entire season, I will check but it seems that it was 1996. He ran the V6 the same year that Hobson won the track championship at I-55. The engines were old Busch series motors, specifically from Mike Wallace, and we went through (3) complete motors throughout the entire year. When we had problems with the motor it was usually fatal.

The 5-cylinder story is true, Darrell had won the heat & dash (at I-55 Raceway), and sometime during the dash lost a cylinder. We actually were going to load up, and decided to dis-able the damaged cylinder and ran the car in the feature and won with it.

The motors ran extremely well, they were just sluggish on restarts. We tried about every transmission combination known and just couldn't get the lag out of the motors we were using. This explains why they do so well in the slick.

The next year he went back to the V8.

Dean also tried a V6 later, but it was only in a handful of races.

Hope this helps.........

Back