They got rid of a dirt track, now this!

sprinted

Love dirt track racing
This is copied from Jayski's site:
Dover Motorsports shuts down Memphis track: Dover Motorsports, Inc. announced that it was ceasing all operations at Memphis Motorsports Park and that it would not be promoting any events in Memphis in 2010. As previously announced, the Memphis facility had been under an agreement of sale to Gulf Coast Entertainment but Gulf Coast was unable to secure financing. "This was a difficult decision for us, but one that ultimately was dictated by economics," said Denis McGlynn, President and CEO of Dover Motorsports. "We greatly appreciate the many years of dedication shown by our Memphis employees and their efforts to make Memphis such a great destination for the racing community - from racing fans and drivers to sponsors, team owners and sanctioning bodies. For all concerned, including the Memphis community, it is truly sad to see Memphis Motorsports Park taken off the racing schedule. NASCAR has approved the realignment of our NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series events from Memphis Motorsports Park to our Nashville and Gateway facilities

But they did move next year's Nationwide race from Memphis to Gateway. So Gateway will have 2 Nationwide races next year.

2 NNS Races at Gateway??

They can't fill the stands for the one NNS event they run. I guess next October Dover will use the small attendance figures to justify shutting down Gateway too.

The lower tier races (Nationwide, Trucks, Arca) hardly ever sell out. Did you see all of the empty seats for the truck race at Talledega today? I may be wrong but this October date could be a good one for Gateway. With all of the local dirt tracks down for the year, they could have a good turnout if the weather cooperates. Let's hope everything works out for them.

I agree... I think the October date is great... nighttime dirt stuff is over, bunch of fans still hungry for a race. They should do a 4 ticket for a $100 deal right up to the race. If there is good weather, they'll get a good crowd

If fans turn out in large numbers in the October race, it will only help Gateway's chances of ever getting a Sprint Cup race. I know those chances will still be slim at best, but anything that improves the track's image to NASCAR is a good thing.

Back