This amplifier has air bags!

cngracin

Small Block Chevy Killer!
(Not racing related but it is car related ;-) I started out typing a quick PM with a couple questions for our resident open-wheel and VW expert, and then got dihedral of the keyboard so I thought I’d post it on here.) :cool:

Well I’m sure most of ya have seen the Volkswagen car commercials featuring guitar players jammin’ away on electric guitars, plugged into VW cars. All the while Volkswagen is offering a free guitar with purchase of a car on a voice over. Obviously these spots caught MY attention! ;) I’m always impressed with Slash as a player; He’s an animal with the guitar! The Spinal Tap spot cracks my arse up. “I’m all right!” after Nigel (I think that’s the dudes name not sure, I never got really into Spinal Tap) falls off the roof of the car. GOOD SCHTUFF! :D I have not seen the 3rd one, I only heard it from the other room; was that John Mayer? That’s what my ear told me, but not sure.

First time I saw the commercial with Slash I thought “COOL” for ‘bout 30 seconds… Then I thought “that’s kind of a dumb idea.”

The guitars: They are First Acts… Low end pieces, right there. As a collector, somewhat cool “conversation piece” with the VW inlays BUT it’s a First Act; that’s not really ANY motivation for a player. Secondly, when a guitar is assembled and shipped, they are not quite really ready to play off the rack. They require at least some minimal set-up… Who’s going to do that? … And lastly, who’s going to repair it later? I’ll bet there will be several people over the years to come taking those guitars back to dealerships for repair. :eek:

The radios: Just what everybody wants in their new car, right? :rolleyes: A one of a kind radio with an instrument jack in it. What happens when THAT goes bad? How long is some manufacture going to make direct replacements for those? Other thought n the radio, I’d imagine MOST people that would go out and buy one of these “packages” are the same people that would want to upgrade from a factory radio. That ain’t goin’ to work now is it?

The practicalities: I’ve played guitar longer than I’ve even been able to drive a car. Over that MANY years, how many times have I thought “Boy, I wish I could throw the car door open and start rockin’ out!” … eh, yeah, a handful of times maybe over a BUNCH of years. Enough times to think about spending 5 figures on a NEW CAR over going to a music store and buying a battery or 12v powered practice amp for 100 bucks or less? No, not really!

The marketing: Well… at least it’s getting some attention. I know I’ve had more than one conversation about the commercials and the cars. At minimum it’s pretty cool, or is that just me??????

Spinal Tap’s:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lx3H1WJdU44

Slash’s:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Aqv9Z6W4nCY

I was selling VW's when they had the TREK mountain bike and K2 ski special editions. I guess I see what you’re saying I have never heard of First Act. With TREK and K2 they were some of the top and most recognized brands at the time (and still are). Even though the models they gave away were entry level, they were the entry level of the best or most popular brands. You would think an entry level Fender would really get people going but I’m sure they not looking for musicians just getting people talking and its are working

Back