Tim Tungate Tops O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Tim Tungate Tops O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series' "Butterball" Wooldridge Memorial at Richmond (KY) Raceway

RICHMOND, KY -- In front of a standing-room-only crowd, Tim Tungate netted his biggest career victory Saturday night at the Richmond Raceway as the Campbellsville, KY native picked up $5,000 in the 18th Annual Paul "Butterball" Wooldridge Memorial. Tungate becomes the 13th different winner in 14 O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series events for 2005.

Timmy Yeager and Chris Combs were slated to set the pace for the 50-lap "Butterball" Wooldridge Memorial, but problems forced Combs to hop in an Aaron Hatton backup car as 4th-starting Hatton moved up to the outside pole. When the green flag waved, it was a three-car dance for the point between Yeager, Hatton, and Tim Tungate when a log jam in turns three and four saw nearly half the field involved in an accident which brought out the red flag. Of the 11 cars involved, only two were unable to continue.

When racing resumed, it was a complete restart with Yeager, Hatton, and Tungate three-wide for the top spot. Hatton inched ahead as Tungate tucked under his rear deck lid with Yeager, Tyrel Todd, and fast qualifier Paul Harris following. A lap four caution would seemingly keep Hatton within striking distance, but the race leader fell to the infield with transmission problems. Tungate inherited the point and led the field back to the green with Yeager and Todd in hot pursuit. Ten laps into the race, 14th-starting Johnny Wheeler and 16th-starting John Gill were methodically picking their way through the pack as they had cracked the top five. One lap later, Gill worked by Wheeler for 4th and then took 3rd from Todd on lap 12. Wheeler and Todd then engaged in a door-to-door dance for 4th swapping the position several times until a lap 21 caution slowed the pace.

On the restart, Tungate remained at the head of the field followed by Yeager, Gill, Todd, and Wheeler. Just after the halfway point, Yeager found some bite at the top of the Action Track and slowly began to reel in Tungate. With 20 laps remaining, Yeager had tracked down the race leader and was looking for a pass. For several laps, Yeager rolled his mount high in turns three and four, getting a nose alongside Tungate, only to have the "Stone Cold" motor back ahead down the front chute. As the fans attention was glued to the battle for the lead, Tyrel Todd worked back around John Gill to take third as Gill and Johnny Wheeler now duked it out for 4th.

With 12 laps to go, Tungate started slicing through the back of the pack as the Campbellsville, KY veteran started inching back ahead of Yeager. Putting lapped cars between himself and the second place car, Tungate was able to set his ride on cruise control over the final few laps and roll his ride across the stripe first in the 50-lap, $5,000 to win, 18th Annual "Butterball" Wooldridge Memorial. The win is the biggest of Tungate's career and his first with the series in 2005. He becomes the 13th different winner in 14 O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass Dirtcar Series events for 2005.

Tungate's Logan and Jane Parrott owned CJ Rayburn Monte Carlo is powered by an AMS Racing Engine and carries sponsorship from J&L Title, Guardian Mortgage, Ancil Reynolds RV, ABC Child Care, Phillips Lane Restaurant, White Construction, James Medical Equipment, Mulch Madness, Children's Palace, Price's Grocery, MDW Transport, Jeff's Food Mart, Cox Properties, SpeeDecals, and Shelly's Hot Styles. Product sponsors for Tungate include K&N Filters, PPM Racing Products, and Bell Helmets.

"Winning this race means a lot to me," Tungate said after the race. "I grew up watching 'Butterball' at Taylor County and he was one of the very best here in Kentucky. You know, I made it a personal goal of mine about five or six years ago to win this race. We came close back in 2001, but to get this win here today is just great and it means so much to me." Tungate continued, "I have to thank Tony Rose from American Racers, CJ Rayburn for building a great race car, AMS for putting together a great engine, and (car owners) Logan and Jane Parrott for everything they've done. I also have to thanks my fiancée, my fans, all of my sponsors, and my pit crew. These guys that work on my car are outstanding."

Harrodsburg, KY's Timmy Yeager finished second in the Ferguson Drywall/Three Rivers Materials/Pro Power/Rayburn Monte Carlo. Third went to Eubank, KY native Tyrel Todd driving the Pulaski Steel & Supply/Gerald's Auto Parts/Bullock/MasterSbilt Monte Carlo. 16th-starting John Gill of Mitchell, IN was fourth in the Harrod Farms/Perry's Auto Sales sponsored AMS powered Rayburn Grand Prix. Mike Hawley rounded out the top five driving the Mike's Backhoe/Penske Shocks/Custom/Rayburn Grand Prix. Paul Harris finished sixth with 23rd-starting Benji Lee 7th, Johnny Wheeler 8th, 24th-starting Mike Wooldridge 9th, and Scott Douglas 10th.

30 O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series Late Models were on hand with Paul Harris setting fast time during Racing Optics Time Trials. VP Fuels Makin' Power Heat Races were won by Timmy Yeager, Chris Combs, and Tim Tungate while Johnny Wheeler won the O'Reilly Auto Parts B-Main.

The O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series presented by Arizona Sport Shirts is off this weekend and will travel to the Soggy Bottom Raceway on August 6th for their next event which will be a double-header with NARA Battle of the Bluegrass Open Wheel Modifieds. For more information on the O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series, visit our website at www.naradirtcar.com.

Race Summary

Richmond Raceway - Richmond, KY

18th Annual "Butterball" Wooldridge Memorial

Saturday, July 23, 2005

O'Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series presented by Arizona Sport Shirts

Racing Optics Fast Qualifier: Paul Harris - 14.976

VP Fuels Makin' Power Heat #1: Timmy Yeager, Aaron Hatton, Shannon Thornsberry, Paul Harris, Mike Hawley, Johnny Wheeler, John Gill, TJ Wooldridge, Jason Hinkle, Michael England

VP Fuels Makin' Power Heat #2: Chris Combs, Michael Chilton, Tyrel Todd, Jason Barrett, Victor Lee, Benji Lee, Brandon Hardgrove, Brad Neat, Frankie Coomer, Blake Chinn

VP Fuels Makin' Power Heat #3: Tim Tungate, Mike Jewell, Whitney McQueary, Marty Stepp, Bobby Carrier Jr., Scott Douglas, Wayne Chinn, Mike Luna, Mike Wooldridge, Jerry Rutherford

O'Reilly Auto Parts B-Main: Johnny Wheeler, Michael England, John Gill, Wayne Chinn, Scott Douglas, Mike Luna, Mike Wooldridge, TJ Wooldridge, Brandon Hardgrove, Brad Neat, Frankie Coomer, Jason Hinkle, Blake Chinn

18th Annual "Butterball" Wooldridge Memorial: Tim Tungate, Timmy Yeager, Tyrel Todd, John Gill, Mike Hawley, Paul Harris, Benji Lee, Johnny Wheeler, Mike Wooldridge, Scott Douglas, Michael England, Bobby Carrier Jr., Jason Barrett, Mike Luna, Wayne Chinn, Mike Jewell, Victor Lee, Aaron Hatton, Shannon Thornsberry, Michael Chilton, Chris Combs, Blake Chinn, Whitney McQueary, Marty Stepp

Race Statistics:

Entries: 30

Lap Leaders: Aaron Hatton 1-4, Tim Tungate 5-50

Cautions: 4

Red Flags: 1

BoB Rookie of the Race: Mike Luna

PPM Racing Products Hard Charger of the Race: Benji Lee (started 23rd, finished 7th)

BoB Provisionals: Blake Chinn and Mike Luna

Track Provisionals: Benji Lee and Mike Wooldridge

O’Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series Points (after 7/23/05)

1. 2650 Whitney McQueary (Dunnville, KY)

2. 2555 Tim Tungate (Campbellsville, KY)

3. 2405 Mike Jewell (Scottsburg, IN)

4. 2355 Aaron Hatton (Mt. Sterling, KY)

5. 2345 Michael England (Glasgow, KY)

6. 2305 Chris Combs (Isom, KY)

7. 2235 Tyrel Todd (Eubank, KY)

8. 2085 Wayne Chinn (Tipp City, OH)

9. 2080 Frankie Coomer (Austin, IN)

10. 1730 Blake Chinn (Tipp City, OH)

2005 O’Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series Sponsors

O’Reilly Auto Parts – Title Sponsor and “Official Auto Parts Store of the O’Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series”

Lucas Oil - “Official Oil Products of the O’Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series”

VP Racing Fuels - “Official Race Fuel of the O’Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series”

2005 O’Reilly NARA Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series Sponsors include: O’Reilly Auto Parts, Lucas Oil Products, Arizona Sports Shirts, VP Racing Fuels, Oval Craft, Hoosier Racing Tires, PPM Racing Products, BERT, CJ Rayburn Race Cars, American Racers, Real Wheels, Wayne Bowen Racing Supply, Trailer Parts & Sales, DJ Designs, Racing Optics, Smith Automotive and Machine, Ringers Gloves, Cruise With The Champions, Rattliff Motors, Honda of Prestonsburg, Bullock Racing Engines, and All-Star Performance

Back