Timms takes checkers in Larry Phillips Memorial

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Wheatland, Missouri (September 2, 2017) It was all smiles for Randy Timms and his team following the running of the Larry Phillips Memorial, Saturday night, at Lucas Oil Speedway, in Wheatland, Missouri. Starting 14th Timms pushed forward early on and proved he was going to contend. The win for Timms is his first ever in Lucas Oil MLRA action.

However, it took a crazy late race turn for the winner to emerge. With two laps to go, Jesse Stovall's rear end broke on the Shannon Scott owned Rocket he was driving. He dove off into the infield and a three car scrum ensued for the win.

"Apparently it took some misfortune for my teammate, but we'll take it any way we can get it," Timms said. "I didn't even know Jesse left the track. I thought we were racing for second. When we came off four and I saw (a lapped car) in front of me, I looked up and was like, 'holy crap, did we just win this?' I was rolling around and saw 5 (his car number) on the scoreboard. I was like, 'what happened?'"

Initially it appeared third starting Billy Moyer Jr. was headed for the checkers, but he went over the top of turn two and Timms gave him no room to breathe. Once out front Timms flew down the backstretch and through the final two turns to score the $5,575 payday, in memory of Larry Phillips.

Behind Timms 24th place starting Rodney Sanders earned the Casey's General Stores Hard Charger of the night, with a hard fought race through the field.

Stovall wrestled the lead away just before lap 20 from Payton Looney, who set the pace early. Stovall appeared to be headed to Andy's Frozen Custard Victory Lane prior to his mechanical failure. It's the second year in a row the reigning series champion had a large lead in this race wiped out, due to mechanical gremlins.

Lucas Oil Speedway Contingencies 9/2/17
Andy's Frozen Custard Victory Lane - Randy Timms
Casey's General Store's "Hard Charger of the Race" - Rodney Sanders
DirtonDirt.com "Pole Award" - Dave Eckrich
GRT Race Cars - Jeremy Grady
Hooker Harness "11th Place Finisher" - Jesse Stovall
KRC "Hard Luck Award" - Tony Jackson Jr
Landrum Springs "Landrum Springs Performer of the Race" - Terry Phillips
Malvern Bank & Trust "Most Laps Led" - Jesse Stovall
Midwest Sheet Metal "Points Leader Spoiler Challenge" - Terry Phillips
Mittler Brothers Machine and Tool "Crew Chief of the Race" - Bob Arnold
Performance Bodies "Performer of the Race" - Randy Timms
Real Racing Wheels - Payton Looney
Sunoco "Rookie of the Race" - Rodney Sanders
Wehrs Machine - Chase Junghans

Swift Springs Heat 1 (10 Laps): 1. Payton Looney 2. Jeremy Grady 3. Terry Phillips 4. Dean Moore 5. Chase Junghans 6. Joe Godsey 7. Scott Crigler

Casey's General Stores Heat 2 (10 Laps): 1. Jesse Stovall 2. Logan Martin 3. Tony Jackson Jr. 4. Randy Timms 5. Chris Jackson 6. Austin Siebert 7. Rodney Sanders

Chix Gear Racewear Heat 3 (10 Laps): 1. Dave Eckrich 2. Will Vaught 3. Jeff Roth 4. Bob King 5. Kaeden Cornell 6. Jacob Magee

Malvern Bank Heat 4 (10 Laps): 1. Billy Moyer Jr. 2. Joseph Gorby 3. Brad Looney 4. Austin Rettig 5. J.C. Wyman 6. Mark Harrison

MAVTV Feature (50 Laps):1. Randy Timms 2. Rodney Sanders 3. Billy Moyer Jr. 4. Terry Phillips 5. Austin Siebert 6. Austin Rettig 7. Bob King 8. Dave Eckrich 9. Joe Gorby 10. Mark Harrison 11. Jesse Stovall 12. Chase Junghans 13. Will Vaught 14. Joe Godsey 15. Payton Looney 16. Kris Jackson 17. Logan Martin 18. JC Wyman 19. Jeff Roth 20. Jeremy Grady 21. Scott Crigler 22. Brad Looney 23. Tony Jackson Jr. 24. Dean Moore 25. Kaeden Cornell

For all of the latest news and information fans are encouraged to visit the series website at www.MLRARacing.com.

Fans may also "like" the Lucas Oil MLRA Facebook page by clicking www.Facebook.com/lucasoilmlra or follow us on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/MLRA.

Back