Trenca Ties Career-Best Feature Finish With Runner-Up Result at Outlaw Speedway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - WOODHULL, N.Y. (Aug. 30, 2018) - Joe Trenca nearly captured his first career winged sprint car feature victory last Friday at Outlaw Speedway, where a late-race caution came at the wrong time.

The Mucci Motorsports driver opened the Patriot Sprint Tour action at the oval in Dundee, N.Y., by charging from seventh to fourth place in a heat race. That lined him up on the outside of the second row for the 25-lap main event.

7e80db8b-fbf5-4d52-a730-cb6d1678f068.jpg
"We were fast all night and it came down to lapped traffic," he said. "It was a game changer. We were a lot better than the leader, but were only in it for a couple of laps. We really, really didn't need to see that caution. The lapped cars were four wide in front of us. It was dicey in traffic. It was a heck of a race. I finally got the right opportunity and took advantage of it, but the roles reversed the next lap for him and then the caution came out."

Trenca took the lead on Lap 19, but was passed back on Lap 20. A caution then came out to give the leader a clear track with only a handful of laps remaining.

"I knew if we didn't beat him into turn one and clear him with a slide job we wouldn't win," he said. "We threw the slider, but I left him enough room to get around on the outside. It just wasn't enough and we settled for second."

The weekend wrapped up on Saturday at Woodhull Raceway, where an early incident in a heat race hampered Trenca.

"The night got screwed up in the heat race," he said. "We ran from fifth to third into turn one. We threw a slider for second and we got ran into and pushed off the track. That dropped us to last. We made it back to fifth, but that hurt us in points."

Trenca advanced from fifth to third in the dash before gaining a position to finish 11th in the main event.

"The track was one lane," he said. "Every time I'd try to make something happen I'd pass a car and then lose a spot."

Trenca kicked off this week by testing a non-wing super modified to gain some laps before this weekend's 62nd annual Budweiser International Classic 200. Trenca will drive for Jason Simmons Racing during the marquee event at Oswego Speedway in Oswego, N.Y.

"The practice went very well," Trenca said. "I learned some different points on the track where we have to pick up some speed. We're really not too far off. The driver of the other car on the team took my car out and he ran two tenths quicker than I did. I was able to watch him and learn a lot."

Trenca will qualify on Friday prior to Sunday's main event. He will return to sprint car action on Monday at Weedsport Speedway in Weedsport, N.Y., with the Lucas Oil Empire Super Sprints.

QUICK RESULTS -

Aug. 24 - Outlaw Speedway in Dundee, N.Y. - Heat race: 4 (7); Feature: 2 (4).

Aug. 25 - Woodhull Raceway in Woodhull, N.Y. - Heat race: 5 (5); Dash: 3 (5); Feature: 11 (12).

SEASON STATS -

24 races, 0 wins, 1 top five, 7 top 10s, 14 top 15s, 20 top 20s

UP NEXT -

Friday and Sunday at Oswego Speedway in Oswego, N.Y., for the 62 nd annual Budweiser International Classic 200 and Monday at Weedsport Speedway in Weedsport, N.Y., with the Lucas Oil Empire Super Sprints

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JoeTrencaRacing

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JoeTrencaRacing

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Schoenfeld Headers

Schoenfeld Headers is the manufacturer of competition headers, mufflers and exhaust systems specializing in circle track, drag, tractor pull and boat headers. For more information, visit http://www.SchoenfeldHeaders.com .

"Doug Schoenfeld and my grandfather have known each other for a really long time," Trenca said. "Doug has been a huge supporter and is a really good sponsor."

Trenca would like to thank Mucci Motorsports, Mid Country Machinery, National Parts Peddler, FK Rod Ends, Stars and Stripes Tool Inc., Weld Wheels, Fast Axle, Wilwood Brakes, Pulse Racing Innovations, Curtis Berleue Photography, Seals-It, Shute's Water Systems, Total Seal Piston Rings, Shell Shock Helmets, Don Ott Racing Engines, MyRacePass and Inside Line Promotions for their continued support.

PARTNERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES -

Trenca is seeking additional marketing partners to get more experience by traveling and taking advantage of opportunities in the 410ci sprint car ranks. To learn more about options to team up with Mucci Motorsports, call Joe at 315-481-6080.

Back