Tri-City Northern All-Stars (1/4 mile)

bnkr

Just saw an ad on this website for Tri-City Speedway's NALMS race on August 11th. Why has this race been scheduled for the 1/4 mile? Whose decision was this? What a bummer to see the big half-mile sit idle for this show. When Tri-City's schedule was originally released, didn't they advertise "4 Late Model Specials on the Big 1/2 Mile!!"? I know a lot of the weekly racers won't run the 1/2 because it is hard on engines, etc., but what a shame that a touring series event like this, in the middle of the week, must be run on the 1/4. I can't remember seeing too many good Late Model races on Granite's 1/4 mile. Any answers or additional comments would be appreciated ... maybe we can get this event put back on the 1/2 where it belongs. Thanks.

bnkr

It saddens me to know that we've got such a great 1/2 mile track in the area that is only being used a few times a year. Like I've said in earlier posts, I wish that the 1/2 mile was used weekly by UMP for the latemodels. But we all know how that is for this area and the UMP saturation. It does make me wonder why they decided to put this particular race on the 1/4, which I think is a fine track itself. Might not have been a TCS decision. NALMS may have decided to run the the shorter circuit.

The 1/2 is allright, but the 1/4 is plenty racey. Big race tracks almost never make for better racing. They just make for more tore up crap.

I think they should put the modifieds back on the 1/2. That was the best show around seeing John Seets, Tom Seets, and Ray Walsh battle it out every week. And that also brang in the biggest crouds i think.J/M/O

NALMS requested the event be run on the 1/4 mile. This will also allow an opportunity for some of the area's short-track aces who don't particularly care for the big track a chance to shine.

Although I like the idea of it being on the 1/4 I don't think that the short track aces argument is a good one. They had races at Godfrey, Mount Vernon, Highland, and a bunch of other places in the last month. Alot of people wanna see real late models on the 1/2 at Tri-City. They are getting two chances this year which is way ahead of recent times, but I'm not going to argue any further being that it goes against my beliefs.

I'm still of the opinion that Tri-City could make more money running a UMP sanction on Sundays. Unless we have a rainy Friday there is no saturation on Sunday.

i think the 1/4 of a mile is better then the 1/2 mile i think the racing is closer together more exciting

Thanks, Doug. I was just curious whose decision this was. I still believe it is a big mistake. Nothing against the 1/4 mile -- in fact, if someone forced me to choose between watching races on a 1/4 or a 1/2 for the rest of my life, I would undoubtedly choose the 1/4 -- but I can see Late Models dice it up on a 1/4 mile track practically any day of the week. What should set Tri-City apart and make people want to attend this event is the unique nature of Granite's 1/2 mile. Look at the recent MARS event -- I believe there were only about 25 Late Models there, but what a show!! Judging by the remarks of several fans that I talked to and the comments posted on this board, the event was a tremendous success. If it had been held on the 1/4 mile, it would have been just another Late Model race. I'm not mad, and I'm not bashing anyone -- I may end up going to the race regardless, it is just sad that one of the "4 Big Late Model Events" is now relegated to the small track. I know Bob Sargent has quite a bit of influence within the NALMS these days -- the same gentleman that promotes racing at numerous venues, including the Springfield and DuQuoin miles. You would think, since they are coming to Tri-City anyway, and the 1/2 mile is there, he would want to use it to showcase the series and make this event stand out. Oh well, I have rambled on long enough -- I guess I should look forward to the remaining "2 Big Events" on the 1/2 mile.

bnkr

We were hoping to have the car ready to run all four shows on the half mile but arent there yet. I figured I'd get to run at least the last one but now that its on the qtr iI wont go. I doubt very seriously that you'll see guys like Gundaker Dixon etc. there either. We've all raced on it and unless its really heavy its pretty much on the bottom and wait for the guy in front of you to slip to gain a position, thats not alot of fun or very entertaining. While on the 1/2 the cars may spread out more there is usually always two grooves and less tore up equipment, just ask the guys who have been running the 1/2 and now they're running the 1/4. As far as the motor deal I would rather run lower RPM and smoother trhottle(1/2) than higher RPM and in and out of the throttle tearing the motor and drive train in every direction. Go for a 100 yard walk at a steady pace, then do it again a little faster with some stop and go's in there and see which one wears you out faster. A well known engine builder told me this and then just said " physics".

Back