Trouble w/ WoO and DIRT?

ghost67

Possible future problem with WoO/DMI?

Found this over on the South Jersey Dirt Racing message board. Anyone out there in TF land that subscribes to NSSN and can verify this?

Interesting reading.........
Author: John Mc Date: 2/23/2005 2:09:22 PM

This is from the latest issue of NSSN:

The Struggle Continues; Kinser Says It's Too Late To Start A Rival Sprint Car Series This Year

February 23, 2005
By NSSN Staff

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The future of the DIRT MotorSports (Boundless Motor Sports) operated World of Outlaw Sprint Series, not to mention the other dirt-racing series operated by the company, continues to be murky.

But despite the buzzards circling around the organization, competitors in the WoO Sprint Series, which was formed in 1978, have decided, at least for now, not to go forward with a plan to break away from the sanctioning body, which is led by Paul Kruger, and was purchased from Ted Johnson late in 2003.

Nineteen-time series champion Steve Kinser openly discussed the situation, acknowledging the competitors have "a back-up plan" in place should DIRT MotorSports go out of business.

"We have 15 to 20 guys that are standing together on this thing," Kinser said. "We have guys ready -- they are racing people -- to invest in this thing and take it over if these guys do get in trouble. It would be easier for us if they do go broke, or if they are not able to do want they need to do. But if we do that, and take 15 or 20 guys and say we're not going to run with you, then we will hang out a bunch of promoters and we don't want to do that.

"We've talked about going off and starting over again, but we can't leave the promoters hung out. We might have to struggle through what we've got, then wait until the end of the season. Either that or they are going to run broke before that, and if they do that, we have enough good solid people to take this thing over and pay the point fund and start this thing over.

"Ted Johnson had us in a bad situation and this put it in a worse situation when he sold it to these people."

Kinser said a breakaway sprint-car series came very close to happening this season.

"We were thinking about taking off and saying the heck with them, but I got to calling some of the promoters and they all signed contracts, and it would put them in a heck of a situation," he explained. "I said that I think we need to go ahead and try to make this thing work, and the best thing they could do is try to run off or go broke, and then we'll go ahead and take it over, and if not, by the end of the year we are still not happy, we will go ahead and start next year competing against them.

"The promoters and the drivers are all going to stick together. If they (DIRT) can get the job done, and do it right, we'll stick with them. If they can't, we are going to oust them, and that is basically all I can say.

"Nothing is going to happen now. If we tried to do that, with the contracts that the promoters have signed, there would be no way they could have another race."

While some of the major track promoters including Tony Stewart at Eldora Speedway did not sign the contracts they were issued by DIRT, Kinser estimated that about 80 percent of the promoters on the WoO schedule have signed binding contracts for this season.

He also acknowledged that none of the WoO Mean 15 drivers have signed the contracts that were mailed to them by DIRT officials.

"None of us drivers have signed any of the contracts, and we are not going to," he said. "These things are like life-binding contracts. We can't sign that. They haven't proved anything to us. I have always signed a year-to-year contract, and I never really have signed a contract with an organization, and if I were to do something like that, it is going to be a year-to-year thing. I can't sign anything long term."

Kinser, who recently posted his 514th WoO victory, said that while the teams are worried about the state of affairs within the DIRT organization, all money has been paid.

"They've paid all our point money and all our appearance money. That part of it has always been good," he said. "But we are not used to having 15-20 page contracts stuffed down our throat."

Kinser pointed out there is no problem with product or the World of Outlaws brand.

"The main thing is that we went to Volusia and we had the grandstands full on Friday night and we had the grandstands full on Sunday night," he said. "They had the All Star races and they didn't have any crowds. When I start worrying about the World of Outlaws is when I look up in the grandstands and there's nobody sitting up there."

Kinser believes that whether or not promoters have signed contracts with DIRT, scheduled WoO events will be held.

"These promoters are going to have a race even without a contract because they make money," he said. "They still fill the grandstands up, and they still make money. The problem is they don't like a whole lot of different stuff in the contracts."

What could be the problem if he states that he has never had a beef with getting paid? I really don't understand what the deal is. Sure they are in debt but if you are getting paid what could be so bad. I work for Goodyear Tire and they are approximately 6 billion dollars in debt and I haven't missed a check. I wish he would have expanded a little more on the deal. I guess maybe he didn't like the contract? Of course, I don't know a whole lot, but it seems to me that Boudless is always getting the short end from everyone. No body seems to like them for whatever reason, but the drivers always say that they are getting paid. What could be so bad?

When something is done a certain way for over 20 years people tend to get nervous when it is suddenly changed around. Everyone was griping about sprint car racing needing to go to the next level, well in order for it to do that, there has to be some major chances taken. Time will only tell.

I think that they are trying to change sprint car racing to much because they are not racing people. They are just buying all these series and then what. They have many people upset about the whole starter deal for 2006. If anyone gets sprint and midget this month alot of people are mad about that deal.

It's obvious things are not 100% OK with the WoO. The sprints still lack a major national sponsor. Why? I really enjoy watching the WoO and I personally think they bring an exciting program to almost every track they race at but articles like this indicate what many of us have been hearing for the past several months, there's storm clouds brewing and it may rain real hard, real soon on the WoO parade. I had hoped for better things after Ted's final departure but so far, no such luck. Not only do you need smart financial people in your racing organization to make it a success, you also need smart racing people. (Ask me about the bar and restaurant I owned for a year. I should have bought a racetrack caused I proved to everyone, including myself, that I didn't know sh*t about the bar/restaurant business.)

Whatever happens, good luck to the WoO racers! Amen.

TTG/MM

Why, in dear God, did Pennzoil ever drop the sponsership? The Pennzoil World of Outlaws was one of the most recognized racing names out there, besides NASCAR and NHRA.

This is big bucks racing....there's got to be someone willing to slap their name on it.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a similar scenario play itself out on the stock car side of Boundless d.b.a. DIRT Motorsports. Stay tuned, 2005 looks to be a bumpy ride.

it kinda doesn't suprise me that there is talk like this. seemed like they were buying up every sanctioning body they could find, and now there are money problems... hate to see/hear this,because racing as a whole takes a hit,and in times of a tough economy, it's doubly hard. art.

Thanks for the link. I am glad to see a glimmer of hope to balance out the predictions of despair. Even if it is the "corporate line".

Here's to mid-season!

Back