Tuned-Up Outlaws: Reigning Champ Richards, Teenager Hubbard Build Momentum For DIRTcar Nationals Wit

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
CONCORD, NC - Feb. 1, 2010 - Two young guns on the World of Outlaws Late Model Series one about to turn 22 and already the reigning tour champion, the other a teenager anxious to follow the national schedule for the first time proved last weekend that they re ready for the start of the 2010 points chase.

Tuning up for the WoO LMS lidlifters on Feb. 11 and 13 during the 39th annual DIRTcar Nationals by University of Northwestern Ohio at Volusia Speedway Park, defending champ Josh Richards and Rookie of the Year candidate Austin Hubbard shined brightly in their season debuts. Both drivers tallied a victory and an impressive third-place finish during the three-night Super Bowl of Dirt Racing VI at Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick, Ga.

Richards, 21, of Shinnston, W.Va., hit paydirt first, pocketing $10,000 for capturing the 50-lap O Reilly Southern All-Stars Series A-Main on Friday night (Jan. 29). Then Hubbard, a rising talent from Seaford, Del., who will celebrate his 18th birthday on Feb. 17, registered the biggest win of his career with an emotional $12,000 score in the 60-lap finale on Saturday night (Jan. 30).

That Richards reached Victory Lane right out of the gate in his Rocket Chassis house car wasn t a surprise; coming off a 2009 season that saw him lead the WoO LMS in A-Main triumphs en route to his first-ever points title, he s arrived as a full-fledged superstar who deserves race-favorite status whenever he takes to the track. But Hubbard s upset win was another matter yes, he s the most ballyhooed teenage rookie to tackle the WoO LMS since, well, Richards in 2005, but who could have predicted that he d have a headline-grabbing five-figure win under his belt before even climbing into his new high-profile Beitler Motorsports No. 19 ride for the first Outlaw event of the season?

The fresh-faced, high-energy Hubbard certainly didn t expect his quick breakthrough, which came in his father Mike s distinctive Hulk-themed Rocket No. 11 that s reserved for most of his non-WoO LMS appearances this season.

I just figured it would probably be summertime before it would happen, said Hubbard, whose richest previous win was worth just over $4,000. I guess that s why I was so excited (after Saturday night s checkered flag).

Yes, Hubbard was a bundle of emotion when he reached Victory Lane at Golden Isles. If anyone wondered what kind of personality the kid has, he flashed it by executing one of the most memorable post-race celebrations in dirt Late Model history.

After pulling his Hab-Nab Trucking machine to a stop on the homestretch, Hubbard climbed out the window, stole a mischievous glance toward his happy crew standing nearby and began pulling off his shoes. Then he unzipped his driver s suit, removed it from his body and with the crowd beginning to wonder just what he was doing, he ripped off his fireproof-underwear top and took off on a topless sprint down the straightaway, flapping his arms wildly as he ran.

I stripped down to my Carbon-X bottoms, said Hubbard, describing his impersonation of Ricky Bobby s hilarious, semi-clothed racetrack jog in the movie Talladega Nights. It must have been about 40 degrees, but that didn t matter in the moment. I just wanted to show how excited I was and I m pretty sure I got my point across.

As Hubbard told DirtonDirt.com afterward (with his uniform back on): It was just like a volcano of feelings. I pretty much felt like I was walking on a mountain and climbing higher.

Of course, the fans loved Hubbard s antics, roaring their approval as he circled the parked cars of runner-up Scott Bloomquist, who challenged but couldn t rattle the upstart from the First State, and third-place Richards, who charged forward from the 19th starting spot. With one amazing flourish, Hubbard had established himself as not only the national dirt Late Model scene s Next Big Thing, but also one of its most interesting characters.

Everyone was talking about Austin Hubbard after Saturday night, assuring that his t-shirt sales will skyrocket for the rest of his Florida trip, which will reach Volusia Speedway Park on Feb. 8 when DIRTcar UMP Late Model action begins during the DIRTcar Nationals by UNOH.

Did anyone know Hubbard would show so much skin after his first big win? There were some murmurs that he d go full-on Ricky Bobby, but only a select few were in on his plan.

We talked about it coming home from Eldora (after the World 100) last year, said Hubbard, the second-youngest starter (behind Richards) in the history of the prestigious World 100. I said, When I win a big race for the first time, I m gonna strip down and run around in my long underwear.

Hey, when I win a race I m gonna show emotion. I m not gonna get out of the car and give you a sideways thumbs-up. We all work so hard at this, so when I win I m gonna enjoy it.

Now fans across the country will be anxious to see Hubbard emerge victorious at their track. What will he do next?

I wanted to do (the Ricky Bobby) when I won a World of Outlaws race for the first time, but I couldn t wait, said Hubbard, who threatened to pull off a win in his first start of 2010 when he led Thursday night s feature before being overtaken by eventual winner Bloomquist and settling for third place. I have to come up with something different now.

Richards is one driver who believes Hubbard will be a force throughout the 2010 WoO LMS campaign. The low-key Richards gave the pole-sitting Hubbard some calming advice before the start of Saturday s A-Main and was there in Victory Lane to shake hands with a bare-chested Hubbard, who appears to be following Richards s path to dirt Late Model stardom.

Austin is a good racer and did a phenomenal job, said Richards, whose Friday-night triumph was his first-ever at Golden Isles. All of us at Rocket are very proud of him and know that this is just the beginning for him. The World of Outlaws Late Model Series tour is grueling but it will make even a good racer better, so I am looking forward to watching him continue to grow during his rookie season.

The dirt Late Model portion of Volusia Speedway Park s DIRTcar Nationals by UNOH is headlined by 50-lap, $10,000-to-win WoO LMS cards on Thurs., Feb. 11, and Sat., Feb. 13. There are also four UMP Late Model events $7,000-to-win shows on Feb. 8, 9, and 10, and a $10,000-to-win finale on Fri., Feb. 12.

For tickets to the 39th annual DIRTcar Nationals by UNOH, visit www.DIRTcarNationals.com or call Volusia Speedway Park at 386-985-4402. A ticket package for all six nights of dirt Late Model racing is available for $175.

In addition, for the first time in DIRTcar Nationals history, all fans will have the chance to see the competitors and their teams up close during each race nightt. A FREE Fan Pit Pass is available to every ticket-buying fan who comes through the main gates every night; fans can show their grandstand ticket and sign in to the pits at a table near the pit entrance.

For more information on the WoO LMS, visit www.worldofoutlaws.com.

The World of Outlaws Late Model Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including Arizona Sport Shirts (Official Apparel Company), Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Crane Cams (Official Valvetrain), Hoosier Racing Tires (Official Racing Tires), Fusion Energy Boost (Official Energy Boost), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser) and VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors Champ Pans, Eibach Springs, Hoosier Tires, Integra Shocks, Jake s Custom Golf Carts, Ohlins Shocks, Racing Electronics, Quarter Master, Wrisco Aluminum and Bill Pink Carburetors; Engine Builder's Challenge participants Cornett Racing Engines, Custom Race Engines and Pro Power Racing Engines; and Chassis Builder Challenge participants Rocket Chassis and Team Zero by Bloomquist.

Back