TV watchdog group files complaint with FCC over Junior's language

Speed Racer

aka "mach5driver"
From Press Release
October 18, 2004
05:40 PM EDT (21:40 GMT)

LOS ANGELES -- The Parents Television Council, the nation's most influential advocacy organization protecting children against sex, violence and profanity in entertainment, filed an indecency complaint last Thursday with the Federal Communications Commission against the NBC network for airing Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s expletive after the Sunday, October 3 NASCAR race.

The PTC and its nearly one million members nationwide have asked the FCC to levy a Notice of Apparent Liability against each NBC affiliate that aired the program.

The program that contained the indecent material was broadcast live around 5 p.m. ET and was seen in homes across the country on NBC network affiliates.

"NBC knows that NASCAR has a huge family audience. NBC and its affiliates should be fined for airing the S-word at a time when millions of children were likely to be in the viewing audience," said L. Brent Bozell, president of the PTC.

"After the fact, NBC announced they would be putting all future NASCAR race coverage on a 5-second tape delay. But frankly, NBC should have taken this action long before the Earnhardt incident, especially given NBC's past problems with indecent language during live broadcasts, including Bono's utterance of the F-word during the 2003 Golden Globe awards.

"This is precisely why Congress needs to increase indecency fines. Television networks need to get serious about halting the flow of indecent material over the broadcast airwaves, but that won't happen when the financial penalties can be absorbed as a reasonable cost of doing business.

"We are demanding that the FCC impose the maximum fine allowable under the law against every NBC affiliate that aired this offense. We further demand that the FCC consider license revocation as a real option given the repetitive nature of these offenses," said Bozell.

Give me a BREAK !!!! The people need to get their kids out from in front of the T.V. and take them into the real world. Then tell them if they use that language that you will clock their block.. And truley mean it !!!!!

I do think Sensorship is a Good thing to some extent. But the S word is nothing to be pissing and moaning about !!!!

Why is it OK to say "pissing" but not the "S" word. Dirtgirl should be fined 25 I-55 drinking points!

dirtgirl said:
Give me a BREAK !!!! The people need to get their kids out from in front of the T.V. and take them into the real world. Then tell them if they use that language that you will clock their block.. And truley mean it !!!!!

I do think Sensorship is a Good thing to some extent. But the S word is nothing to be pissing and moaning about !!!!

I agree dirtgirl. But after the "wardrobe malfunction" at halftime of the Superbowl, why wouldn't networks put EVERY live broadcast on a delay? :confused:

kreke13 said:
Why is it OK to say "pissing" but not the "S" word. Dirtgirl should be fined 25 I-55 drinking points!

Go ahead and take 25 points away I'll just make them back up again and then some :p LOL!!!

when you watch baseball or football,,,mainly football you can here here them use bad words,,or baseball when the grab their crotch,,,nothing is ever said about that !!!!

Send them an e-mail........I did. Here is some tidbits of my response to the "morality pushers"

Do you know where the channel changer or off button is on your T.V. or radio?
You are typical of people who try to legislate morality. Organizations such as yours sicken me. I am a parent of two young children and I don't need a bunch of "nose in the air" pompous jerks telling me what is acceptable for them to watch or hear. It is my responsibility not yours. If the "S" word that Dale Earnhardt Jr. uttered on the air the other day is the worst your children hear, consider yourself lucky. If your children become traumatized because they see a women's bare breast, maybe it's how you are raising them. The REAL world is just that....REAL. Your little fairy tale world where everything is prim and proper doesn't exist and never will. Why don't you just concentrate on raising your own families to the best of your ability instead of wasting your time trying to push your views off on the rest of the world.

Why not give parents some credit? Like we all need to be led by the hand to your almighty "we know what is good and you don't" fantasy world. It insults me more than anything I have ever seen on TV.
And so what if a million people agree with you.........millions more disagree. All you are is self-promoting morality pushers. Which in my opinion makes you no better than a drug pusher. Have a nice day.
(Oh and by the way there are all kinds of sexual induendos in the movie Shrek.....is that a bad movie for kids to watch?)

These people are a joke......and the REAL world needs to tell them that.

JMO

Why dont they look at the NBA? Make em cover up those gang tattoos, clean up their act. I think the NBA is about the worst for trash talk and poor behavior. Just look at all the stupidity shown by the best two players the league has to offer, Shaq "I'm an overgrown 2 year old" O'neill and Kobe "spoiled brat" Bryant. Squabbling all over the press like 2 little dysfunctional children. And the NBA is hyping the game where they face off against each other on Christmas day, no less, like its the playoff final or something.

Both of those idiots make Dale Jr look like a saint. Cussing and all.

You never see drivers getting arrested for drug possession, making drug deals, rape, now do you? Yet it happens in other sports regularly. I think that perhaps those in power need to lay off NASCAR and start tackling the image athletes in other sports portray.

If your going to force NASCAR drivers to maintain squeaky clean images, then it should extend to stick and ball sports too.

Nice job Dennis. You are absolutely right, and a lot of studies into what makes kids who they are prove it. Parents have the greatest impact. If you sat there and said to your kid, "check out Jacksons tit, aint she hot? LETS REWIND THE TAPE AND WATCH IT AGAIN!! WOO HOOO" Then your kid goes away thinking that what she did makes her cool, attractive, desirable.

If you sat there and said, "holy crap, what the hell was she doing pulling something like that at halftime? How stupid, anything to sell a record." Then your kid goes away thinking that what she did was stupid.

Bottom line, you shape your childs view by how you respond to this junk, not by what other people actually do. Parents make the difference, not activists.

Right on Todd..........did you watch the Rams game last night? They kept zooming in on the Bucs coach, who looked like a crazed demon most of the night. Every other word was the F word. So what if you couldn't hear it, most people can read lips. Zach watched the game with me. He knew the guy was cussing his head off. I told him the guy was acting like an moron, and that kind of unsportmanlike conduct wouldn't cut the mustard in our house. He just smiled and me and nodded. He knows whats what.....because we raised him that way. I just don't understand people like those who run this crock of S**T organization. (OK I'll pay the fine....at my parents house it was always a dollar into the cuss jar.) :eek: :D

Who the hell(-10 points)are these idiots to decide wut is right for my kids to listen to.Whats next"R" rating on Nascar.So I guess from now on if a driver at a local track sez any of the forbiddin words he will lose points,pfffffffffffffffffffft,maybe I`m outta line here but these #^*holes(-10 points)just need to stick thier noses back in each others backsides(-20 points) and leave us working class alone.

Geez Dennis, you sound just like my dad... lol

It never ceases to amaze me how much I sound like my own Dad when I'm talking to my kids. I swear 25 years ago he didn't know a thing. :p
Your old man sounds like my kind of guy buddy! :p :D

Wiz you owe $4 to the cuss jar. :D :D

These ppl just need to get a life!!!! They are soooo bored with their uppity life, watchin the maid clean their house...do their laundry...walk the dog and scoop the poop.........they have nothing better to do than sit around and think of ways to stir the pot!!! I mean come on.....when kids go to school they see, hear and DO much worse things than spouting off the word ****!!!!!! Your right t.nie, kids take direction from their parents, thats where they learn the difference between right and wrong, not from TV, games or any other inanimate object!!

Point here is..they r picking and chosing who they r going after. Thats a plain and outright fact. Howard Stern is being made an example of(yes...the radio tuner can change folks if you dont like his stuff). Like i said..on the WWE..oh man..they talk about things that make me wonder why they dont get banned...from the it all together..although its funny..its adult humor. Just goes to show you..doesnt matter what the common folk think or want..good ole washington d.c. will do as they please.

Back