U joint help??????

G2J

I'm trying to put a 9 in. ford in my gm metric street stock, and I'm having trouble finding a U joint..... The measurements on the GM side are 1 1/8 cap dia. and 2 9/16 between the inside snap ring and 1 1/8 cap dia. and 3 7/32 between the cap ends (outside snap rings) on the ford end.
Has anyone else had this problem? and if so how was it rectified????
Thank You,Greg

Where are you located? I think you have a yoke that is a weird size but not uncommon. Mark Leuck at Authorized Auto in Wood River does my shafts and does excellent work.

Simple enough...
Go to a real parts store,not Auto Zone or Advance or O'riely's and a real parts guy knows how to look up what is called a cross joint.It's been a while since I looked one up but, for some reason I think its just a common cross joint.
If all 4 caps are the same diameter then it should be a breeze.

I tried napa, delco, precision, neapco, I spoke to a drive shaft shop today, and they said they may be able to switch the caps accordingly....I guess if all the measurements are correct I'll be in business. Thanks, Greg

try fastshafts.com they said in articel in speedway Ill.it can be done but will not last due to lil variance in measurement and it's weak call the pro like fastshafts and they will tell you

I have always got my U-joints at Autozone (even though they are a pain to deal with most of the time....:D ) It was a PDQ u- joint. I have the part number at my shop but i don't know it off the top of my head. It was called a univeral u-joint. This one imparticular had bigger caps for the GM drive shaft and smaller caps on the ford rearend side. Also i never have had a issue with breaking them due to different sizes. Hope you get it figured out.

Tom

P.S. Try not interchanging the caps from different u-joints. Alot of time the u-joint and the needle bearing are different sizes. If you stretch to make one work like that then it will probably fail. Also don't try removing a needle bearing or two to make it go on there. Do it right the first time....:D

I got it today, and it is correct,it is a mix and match deal, but all measurements are correct.... I gave them the measurements, and the guy immediately said "they dont manufacture one like that, But I think I can make it" Looks like they took the joint that smaldirt28 was speaking of, and put the 1.125 caps on the ford side of it....$22.00 ... priceless!!!!!
Sure beats having a whole new shaft made...Thanks to Driveshafts Unlimited in Arnold MO. And to all who replied Thank You, Greg

hey tom you have to go fast to break something lol

HAHAHAHA really funny hound dog. If i got all my parts from your work i wouldn't even make it to the track to run.....:eek: :eek: :eek: ....

Glad to hear you found the u-joint. They can be a bear to find the right one the first time. Make sure you write down part numbers so you don't have to go through the hastle again.....lol....My garage wall was full of part numbers, etc.....:D

Tom

tom I wouldn't autozone on my car even before I started my place put a belt on my truck in 97 it lasted 1 week and it looked older than my truck did youjustmad you couldn't get a sponsor which are hard to come by big boy

tom I wouldn't autozone on my car even before I started my place put a belt on my truck in 97 it lasted 1 week and it looked older than my truck did youjustmad you couldn't get a sponsor which are hard to come by big boy

Mad????? Never once did i assume that i would ever have any sponsorship from your work. It was kind of like one of those "let it go in one ear and out the other" when you told me about that.......:D :D.....As a matter of fact it was your idea not mine:eek: :eek:

hey tommy maybe I won't defend sportsman guys anymore either, at least the guys at my store will look it up-your buddies don't even recognize there competition

I goto Autozone alot..just have to be careful what you buy and the brand of product. They can get you some nice belts but you have to pay more than the generic brand. They sell AC fuel pumps and alot of name brand stuff for cars. Just saying dont knock them and i used to have a business account with them. I put their warranty behind the work i did. You have to trust them a little to do that and they treated me REAL well when a parts failure did happen.

a few thoughts

Hey, dont bash em, usually if you tell the truth about abusing the parts in a cool way, they find a way to warranty every piece of steering linkage you can turn into a pretzel!!!!!I hate to use them, but do sell out to lower prices and convenience...Seems kind of funny, several years ago they were trying to cut out the repair shop, yet in recent years have obtained trucks and want to cater to the repair shops...funnier yet... HOW COME THEY WONT PUT THEIR NAME ON THEIR DELIVERY VEHICLES????? sure are proud of that stuff arent they????

did you ever think that the customers IE the shops or jobbers don't want there customers to know where they are getting there parts from that;s why we have to walk inthe shop area with parts not the front door unlike sone parts houses have a freaking hat on top and by the way I can get you the parts for the bricklin with no problem

I goto Autozone alot..just have to be careful what you buy and the brand of product. They can get you some nice belts but you have to pay more than the generic brand. They sell AC fuel pumps and alot of name brand stuff for cars. Just saying dont knock them and i used to have a business account with them. I put their warranty behind the work i did. You have to trust them a little to do that and they treated me REAL well when a parts failure did happen.
sounds like every parts that wants to stay in business

Back