UMP adds $$ to each tracks local point fund in 2005!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
UMP will add $1,500 to each tracks late model and $1,000 to each track modified point fund in 2005.

UMP will continue to have a state and national point fund as well. The UMP Modified National Champion will earn $20,000 for the title in 2005.

UMP Sanction Fees are only $60 per modified event and $100 per late model event for each track.

Was there much discussion of the mandatory membership rule? Is it actually mandatory, or have I interpreted it wrong?

Well Thats Mighty White Of Them To Give Back Some Of The Bundle They're Gonna Make On This Membership Crap!
Still Only Benefits Those Who Run For The Points.

jdearing said:
Here is the promoter info:
http://www.umpracing.com/news/2005umpinfo.htm

Not much discussion of the membership.

Ok, now, I’m even more confused. Under New for 2005!, we see the sentence: “The only requirement will be that tracks must make sure that a percentage of all drivers are members of U.M.P. and each track must be current on their sanction fees.” But under Also in 2005! the sentence “The final thing we request is that all tracks make sure their local drivers are members of U.M.P.” seems to contradict the first statement. How can it be both ways? To determine if a driver is local, wouldn’t he have to declare a home track? If a driver isn’t local, but doesn’t have a home track, and just races for money instead of points, can he fly under the UMP radar and not buy a membership? Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but if I’m confused by the wording, I’m sure others might be too.

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20050121046193.jpg

I have a better appreciation for UMP as a result of running sportsman cars for a few years. There was no consistency in the rules(tires carbs motors weight), no consistency in the interpretation of rules, fewer tracks to race etc etc.

We racers benefit more than most people realize. Why should some pay for the benefits and others not? Believe me its well worth the membership fees to have these things.

jdearing said:
Simple, Pay the membership fee. Every other sanctioning body requires you to buy it.

Funny, that's the same thing I said when there was such a fuss about the NASCAR memberships at Tri City a coule of years ago.

Doug said:
Funny, that's the same thing I said when there was such a fuss about the NASCAR memberships at Tri City a coule of years ago.

Even funnier that two people who put NOTHING into the purse (i.e. get in free to the tracks, one I know for sure and the other probably has figured a way to get free food and drink etc.) AND I would bet gets paid on a yearly basis more from these tracks (Jimmie doing many of the websites, Doug doing the announcing) than most racers get out of the track can come on here and tell drivers what they should be CHARGED to put on the show for the promoters.

:mad:

Big Bad Bear said:
...two people who put NOTHING into the purse...

I guess finding sponsorship and spreading goodwill count for nothing? I can tell you stories of many people who would not have known about various tracks if it weren't for Jimmy's efforts on this and other websites. Those people translate into butts in the seats, which translates into money to pay the bills. And then there's the free publicity given to local tracks over the radio which result in other butts in the seats. Yup, we're just a couple of good-fer-nuthin' mooches.

I have no problem paying for the license, I just want to make sure that I am benefitting from being a member. A weekly newsletter and a sticker are not enough. If IMCA comes with insurance then I think UMP/DIRT should be able to provide that as well.

Doug said:
I guess finding sponsorship and spreading goodwill count for nothing? I can tell you stories of many people who would not have known about various tracks if it weren't for Jimmy's efforts on this and other websites. Those people translate into butts in the seats, which translates into money to pay the bills. And then there's the free publicity given to local tracks over the radio which result in other butts in the seats. Yup, we're just a couple of good-fer-nuthin' mooches.

In case you don't realize ... what puts butts in the seats are the cars on the track. Many of the drivers are doing this with "house money" because of their love for the sport. ALL drivers do our share of finding sponsorships, spreading goodwill, and giving free publicity to the tracks via results and stories in the local news papers. Also we tell folks who know nothing about racing what we do every weekend to get folks out to the track. We spend countless hours to get ready for the show, and all this at a LOSING proposition ... so, yes, folks taking money out of the gate could be considered (your word, not mine) "mooches." Sorry ... ;)

Doug, just wanted to add ... you missed my whole point ... until you are "required" to pay the fee, you and others shouldn't tell those who have to pay the fee to do so. (I don't see TTG and the Beer Girl telling drivers to "pay the fee, what's the big deal").

When TCS ran NASCAR and "anyone who enters the pit area" was required to have a NASCAR license, were you required to buy one? NO, but you were in the pit area every night.

Drivers are "required" to pay a pit pass, but they should NOT be "required" to buy a track membership or Association membership. This should be THEIR CHOICE to participate or not in whatever the membership fee is for. Why are drivers required to buy a pit pass to do their "job" at the track (i.e. put on the show) when announcers and webmasters are not?

Get a clue UMP !!!

If UMP requires a liscense then they need to step up like the other sanctioning bodies that REQUIRE a liscense and offer addtional insurance coverage like IMCA and NASCAR.
Unitl this happens I will continue disagree and run the unsanctioned track in our area,
IMCA requires it but you get a lot more for your money that a newsletter and points.

While I dont always agree with IMCA at least they TRY to keep cost lower. I CANNOT say the same for UMP, we keep shelling out for that Hoosier tire with the worst sidewall in the history of racing tire and keep paying too much for them.

Even IMCA has seen the light, Amercian Racer raised the price this year again, so IMCA has issued out the specs for their tire and are going to choose a suplier in 2006, to try and keep cost lower.

Fat chance of UMP doing this they are to busy stuffing Hoosier's money in there pocket for that overpriced low quality tire.

Ii was somewhat willing to accept these things when UMP did not require a liscense but now that they are, NO DICE and no thanks, step up to the plate and make offer the same things the first class bodies do.

Back