UMP Late Models dropped

Millsey

FREDERICKTOWN, Mo. -- (Sept. 15, 2003) Due to economic reasons the UMP Late Model program at the Fredericktown Raceway has been dropped effective immediately.
"We've tried everything in the world to try and keep the late models here, but it's just not economically feasible," said Terry Flanagan, track manager. "We tried all kinds of things to avoid this, but there is no other alternative. In order for the track to survive this was just a move we had to make."
Immediate plans are to make the Modifieds and the Sportsmen/Hobby Stock classes the feature classes with the Pure Street class and the RAMS Mini Stock class remaining as support classes. It is also possible another class will be added to the weekly lineup for the 2004 racing season with one of the leading candidates to fill that spot being the 600cc Multis.
"We are a small local track," Flanagan said. "We're had good success so far in working with the Modifieds and the Sportsmen/Hobby Stocks and we feel like if we give those racers better pay and improve the conditions here at the track we might just come up with a winning combination."
Plans are to hold weekly races at the Fredericktown Raceway this fall through the end of October, with the annual Fredericktown Raceway Awards Banquet being held on Saturday, Oct. 25th.
"We've got a big show featuring the Modifieds and the Sportsmen/Hobby Stocks this weekend (Sept 19th with raindate of Sept. 21) and we're hoping the racers and fans will come out and support us," Flanagan said.
Gates open at 4 p.m. Friday with racing at 7:30 p.m. For more information on the Fredericktown Raceway contact Flanagan at (573) 783-3901

I was greatly saddened to learn that UMP Late Models will be dropped effective immediately from the program at Fredericktown Raceway. I understand economics as well as the next guy, but I do love those cars and I will really miss them. For me, they were the big attraction. No disrespect intended to the other classes; heck, Late Model drivers have to come from somewhere! I guess the things I'll miss most are the close, fast competition, the smell of the fuel, the big black stripes on the track after the feature, and a certain yellow late model carrying the left front tire all the way down the back straight! To all you late model drivers, thanks for the memories! God bless.

harold is not happy about this latest develupment:mad: can understand the economic side though, i will contenue to patronize the rOCk though. good luck

even if i do live 3 blocks away i am done here (the rock) sorry
i know you all will miss me

NO MORE LATE MODELS!!!!!!!

Yes the show will go on !!!!!!!!! But the thrill will be gone and you will see some low class entertainment!!!!!!!!!! It was good while it lasted, all good things have to come to a end. Sure wish Denny was here, if he was so would be the Late Models!!!!!!

Re: NO MORE LATE MODELS!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Suzieq
Yes the show will go on !!!!!!!!! But the thrill will be gone and you will see some low class entertainment!!!!!!!!!! It was good while it lasted, all good things have to come to a end. Sure wish Denny was here, if he was so would be the Late Models!!!!!!
BUT WOULD THE ROCK STILL BE OPEN??????????

when you work in the - you never end up in the + now this is no bash agaist denny just saying it cost some MAJOR bucks to have UMP at a track!

for that extra dollar you got to see not one but TWO $1000 to win shows and yes it was worth the extra $1.00 at the gate it was a extra $5 at the pits and fyi this was a make up show from last SATURDAY hope this helped

Does this make sense??

OK first off....You can't afford to pay the Late Models....Then a week later you have a big show for 2 classes.....But then I hear you could not pay the street stocks the full $1000.00....So are you going to get rid of the street stocks now since you couldn't pay them the money...The way I see it if ya can't pay the Big money...Then dont have the big show....Anyone else agree

SOUNDS LIKE A BIG MESS!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the new manager is in the - too if he can't pay what he promised to the drivers in the street stock class. The Late Models was dropped because they coasted to much, sounds like the street stocks coasted to much too.Why should the street stocks take less money if that was what they were told they would get paid??????If that was the case then why didn't they give the Late Models a chance to take a drop in pay out !!!!But they just dropped them!!!! I was told that the new manager didn't like the Late Models and that was why they got dropped. If they would lower their food and drinks that would help alot too!!! I priced those soda's in the store and if they sold them for $1.50 they would still be making money on them and the same for the sandwiches. Poeple would spend alot more if things were alot cheaper!!! Why don't you just try it and see what happens!!!

Folks here's the simple truth about the late models and you can believe it if you want to or not it really doesn't make one bit of difference because this is simply a fact and nothing else.

For the money the UMP Late Models cost the Fredericktown Raceway in it's current condition it is not economically possible to keep them. It does not make since for the entire track to go under just to keep a group of cars that does not pay for itself. Nobody is getting rid of the UMP Late Models because "they don't like them" or because of car count. THE TRACK JUST CANNOT AFFORD THEM! And if you think the people at the Fredericktown Raceway are only going to that track to watch late models you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The biggest shows we've had at Fredericktown this year have had NO LATE MODELS AT ALL! On the last night they were there we had 14 late models in the pits and a decent crowd and the track lost money. You can't stay in business losing money. It's a business not a charity. Just figure it up in your heads how many people had to be in the pits and in the stands to pay for the $3,800 payout the late models got on that final night alone. It's also not fair for the other classes to always have to pay for the late models and that was what we were having to do by running five and six classes a night.

I have nothing but respect for all of our late model guys. I loved to watch them race there, but if there was going to be a track at Fredericktown this was a move they had to make.. And by the way, if you think Denny was not going to do this you are mistaken also.

Look for some extremely good things to happen at Fredericktown if things continue on this upward swing we established at the end of this season. Again it's disappointing we had to lose the late models, but hopefully this will be a move that will continue to be a positive step for the Fredericktown Raceway.

Back