UMP membership a MUST!!

stot16

Just a little FYI for you racers that are planning on racing at UMP sanctioned tracks this year: UMP is making it mandatory for racers racing at UMP sanctioned tracks to buy a UMP Membership for 2013 race season. They say their membership is down to 12% so this is the way they are going to increase that number this year. If a UMP sanctioned track does not make it mandatory for its racers to get a membership, then that track will lose its UMP sanction.

So, for those keeping score at home, that is another $125 down the drain for racers like me who only race 1 night a week. Now if UMP would award each UMP sanctioned track with some of this extra money for each tracks own points fund, then it might make me feel a little better. Oh well, I bucked up today and bought my membership. I also checked with Quincey racetrack and they did confirm that this rule went into effect at their rules meeting last night up in Springfield, Illinois.

I don't like this at all.
I will keep my negative thoughts about this to myself.
Friggin B-S

Look at it this way you recieve an extra $50,000 in insurance for your self in case you get injured. That is cheap coverage. If you get point money either state region or national its just a bonus.
They should just say your are required to buy this insurance policy for your own good and you get a membership and point fund qualification to boot!

Raced last year. Wasn't forced to buy anything.
Please tell me what the advantages are for someone Like me who is planning on racing once a week, and not at a specific track are?
It's a donation to the Executives as far as I'm concerned.

The other sanctioning body working its way in the Missouri area (USRA), they at least give each track a set amount of money to put towards their tracks point fund. I DO NOT see UMP offering that to its sanctioned tracks. I may be wrong but that would greatly surprise me. Jimmy, do you know what UMP is going to do with all this extra money?? I mean, going from 12% membership to 100% membership is going to bring in a lot of extra cash for them. I am just curious what they are going to do with all the extra funds.

As Don says...
Look at it this way you recieve an extra $50,000 in insurance for your self in case you get injured. That is cheap coverage.

Raced last year. Wasn't forced to buy anything.
Please tell me what the advantages are for someone Like me who is planning on racing once a week, and not at a specific track are?
It's a donation to the Executives as far as I'm concerned.

That's fine since you put it that way. I just tend not to trust some of the UMP higher ups.

You cannot compare the two at this time. Usra has its own ups and downs with its sanctioning. Give your UMP sanctioning body full support it will become much stronger and then the possabilities will be endless!

so will the point funds be going up the same amount? Let's say there are 100 UMP tracks, and 40 racers at each track dont have memberships, and that the average membership costs $80, that would be $320,000 in more point money? and i think those are very low estimates. If they are going to do all that, they really need to go through all the divsions and re-align the regions and divisions. Why not combine the sport mods and sportsmans and pay the top 40 in the country and pay the nation $5,000? and combine the street stock and bombers and do the same? the guys in those divisions really cant race eachother heads up anyway, so why not make it more lucrative? some regions have much less participation than others. Also, I think the Modified division should pay the top 100

You will have to see how it shakes out. They may lose some tracks but overall they will become bigger & better! 99% of the promoters are behind them 100% because we know it will make things better for everyone top to bottom!

It would be a bargain if they would properly police tire rules. UMP was not existent in 2012. They had a chance to make a point on tires and left several big names guys get away with it. Our local tracks need to put pressure on UMP to do it right. Threaten pulling your sanction. I would rather race at a non sanctioned track then to allow UMP to skate like they did last year.

If you show up and do not want to buy a membership, it was told to me that the promoter will probably have you watch from the stands or you can just go home. UMP should come up with a temporary membership. Like if I plan on running at a USRA track on most nights and just want to race 1 UMP show, then I would like the option to buy a nightly membership for let's say $10/night.

I agree with Al. They want us to step.up over and over. Time for them to step up too. Ump has turned a blind eye to so many things. From the tire issue, tech in crates, dirty driving... Etc.. YOU GIVE ME A FAIR PLACE TO RACE, I could care less about the sanctioning if any.
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Could it be there memberships are down because car counts at some area tracks are down? It also could be a racer not wanting a membership (even if it is now mandatory) because they do not agree with the direction of a group sort of a vote against yet they still like the track.

It's been proven many times in the past that alienating racers is the wrong way to go when the car counts are down. It happens with track rules too. The assumption is flawed when overhead/profits are calculated in a linear fashion. I'm afraid this will hurt the tracks more then UMP.

Back