UMP Opinions

crash9

http://www.stlracing.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=83954

That's the release UMP came out with this week. What's everyones opinion?

It is gonna cost us $75 to join UMP, and the winner in National points gets $500. The total purse is only $2650. It only takes 35 paid memberships to pay for the entire purse. This is one of the biggest classes out there and if the tracks do this, there are gonna be a lot more members than that. What good is this really for us? What do we really get for the $75? Will UMP make us pay for the memberships? We don't run the Hoosier modified tire, and in the sportsman class if ya don't run it you have to pay for a membership, whether running for points or not.

I have no plans at all to run for national, regional, or track points and don't plan on being a UMP member. Points racing takes the fun out of it, too much pressure. I really don't see the upside of paying an extra $75 on top of the $25 I have to pay for an allied membership, and the $23 every week to get in the pits.

I also wonder about rules. Will UMP ever come up with some sort of rules? I realize how hard it would be to come up with a fair set of rules, but isn't that what a sanctioning body is for? Let's just say I-55 runs UMP and so does Montgomery County and I decide that I wanna run for points. I can not go run Montgomery County to try and beat them for points nor can I go to any other ministock track. I have a FWD vehicle. Maybe they'll split them into two divisions like the sportsman are supposed to do in 2008. FWD in one division, RWD in another.

K, I guess I'll stop now and listen to everyone else's opinions

I'm not going to join UMP......it is hard enough for the local tracks to set and enforce rules, I really don't really see the upside to joining either!!

I guess it would be different if the race tracks paid out more to this division, I mean.....whats the point, what would be the big deal if UMP is involved, I just don't see why or how it would help the division.:confused:

Would you have a bunch of different rules?? How would you classify the division......would it be DOHC, SOHC, FWD, RWD "race what you brung"????? would there have to be different classifications???

I don't know........I will see what other racers say, and really think about this one.

Who is allied????

I am not gonna pay a dime for an allied membership. who is allied now with control of 0 classes. They are a group of well dressed flag wavers. poor ones at that. Not all, But most.

UMP is taking the first steps to making this work in my opinion. Last year they started three new classes that didn't exactly take off like wild fire & they paid $5000 to the champions. I believe they are trying to start out smaller with the 4cyl's & build it up. This class has hundreds of different kind of cars racing in it so a standard set of rules would be next to impossible to come up with. Can you imagine trying to wright a rule book for a class that allows hundreds of different cars other than the rules that are already in place at your local tracks? Sure the total purse is only $2650 for the first year but if they have a good response I believe it will only get better for you 4cyl racers. There is a little bit of prestige that will go along with being the UMP 4cyl National Champion or even the State Champ for that matter. For your $75 you also recieve Insurance just like all other UMP members. I don't believe that you have to be a UMP member to race at your local tracks but if you want to see this deal get better then it might not be a bad idea to support it, I havn't seen any other sanctioning body step up to do something for the 4cyl classes.

As for sohc & dohc, I have seen SOHC Probes & Mazda's spank DOHC cars on a regular basis.

UMP is taking the first steps to making this work in my opinion. Last year they started three new classes that didn't exactly take off like wild fire & they paid $5000 to the champions. I believe they are trying to start out smaller with the 4cyl's & build it up. This class has hundreds of different kind of cars racing in it so a standard set of rules would be next to impossible to come up with. Can you imagine trying to wright a rule book for a class that allows hundreds of different cars other than the rules that are already in place at your local tracks? Sure the total purse is only $2650 for the first year but if they have a good response I believe it will only get better for you 4cyl racers. There is a little bit of prestige that will go along with being the UMP 4cyl National Champion or even the State Champ for that matter. For your $75 you also recieve Insurance just like all other UMP members. I don't believe that you have to be a UMP member to race at your local tracks but if you want to see this deal get better then it might not be a bad idea to support it, I havn't seen any other sanctioning body step up to do something for the 4cyl classes.

As for sohc & dohc, I have seen SOHC Probes & Mazda's spank DOHC cars on a regular basis.

Well put. And that 75 dollars you put towards the insurance will pay for itself if needed. They have one of the best plans available.

I thinks it's an awesome step for our class to get the respect it deserves. I plan on running for the national championship.

I talked to Sam the other day and they are keeping it low for the first year to see what kind of interest they get. They of course are like any business and don't want to lose money on something. As far as DOHC and SOHC, there are plenty of SOHC cars that outrun DOHC cars. My philosophy on it is, if you don't like getting beat my a DOHC car, then go get one yourself. I know that will probably upset people a little bit, but just my two cents.

I'm not sure about the other tacks around STL, but Highland it's always the DOHCs that do better. I don't remember when the last time was that a SOHC won a race. Now granted there probably are faster SOHCs out there, but not from a normal Neon, Caviler or Saturn.

crash9, if I am not mistaken you have a single cam & you was pulling the left front at Pinckneyville wasn't you? :D

Heck ya I was!!!!!!!! They gonna try and get that going again for next year? Can't wait!!!!

I believe we are going to do three events next season with the first one being in April. I will post details on here.

Oh, and with as good as I 3-wheeled in the tempo just think of how I'd be if you put me in one of them crates. :)

Sounds great Sean, thanks.

Back