Ump Or Imca?

RACE39

I'd like to hear from the mod racers on this one. For conversation sake!!!!!

What in your opinion's are the pro's and con's of both UMP or IMCA sanctions?

UMP has a strong hold on the immediate St. Louis area. Is that good? Is it bad? Would you like to see a track(s) run IMCA in St. Louis?

Just curious! From what I can see, some of the IMCA rules seem a little more cost friendly. such as the tires. Possibly motor rules also.

Whatcha think? like I said just for conversation sake.

either way it is costly,and really no sanction is easy on the pocket,but in my opiniion imca is the better of the two...little cheaper on the engines,set of tires will last almost a year and it just is more cost efficient to me...ump is unlimited on the wallet and harder for the lower budget guys that are good to get their feet in the door,not a bad sanction by no means,just takes more money,but that is racing,you gotta pay to play so either one makes no difference to me!!!!

Thanks 94! I understand no racing is cheap for the most part. But, when a IMCA guy can get by on less than 15 tires for a season compared to 60 for a serious ump guy. Makes you wonder why guys would rather have IMCA in the area. Thas why I was asking about the pro's and con's. What does an IMCA national champ get as far a point fund?

Only one guy has an opinion?

How many of you are true blue UMP points chasers and have memberships?

I ran both last year and I like the IMCA better cheaper on the budget, cars are a lot closer matched given the tire that they run on, the little guys can compete against the boys with the money, and the rules are laid out in black and and white, Lebanon I-44 Raceway, SFCR, and The ROCK , all ran IMCA rules last year, and had a great turn out, would like to see other tracks pick up on it,

UMP is getting way too expensive. I went to a few big IMCA mod races at the end of this year to watch and talked to a bunch of drivers. They probably spend less than 25% of the serious UMP racer. The most expensive motor I talked to was around $3500 compared to 8-$12K for a good UMP motor. The guy that finished 3rd at one show had $1000 in his motor. There is no way you could do that at a UMP show, you'd be lucky to even make the feature of a weekly show with a $1000 motor. Tires are $30 cheaper and last three times longer, if not more. The payouts are higher for imca than UMP here in Tennessee, $500-$650 to win IMCA and $400 to win for UMP tracks. I am probably going to run alot more imca next year.

It Sounds To Me Like The Smart Ones Here Are Hoosier And Ump(who I'm Sure Are Compensated Well For Mandating The Hoosier Tires).

Why Make Tires That Last Longer And Sell Less? Thats Money Lost For Them. As Long As The Drivers Keep Pulling Out Their Check Books Nothing Will Change.

60 E-mods Tires= Approx? $6500 Give Or Take.
20 Imca Tires= Approx? $1700 Give Or Take.
Thats Insane!

Racers Need To Realize, They Hold The Trump Card. Things Like This Will Always Be If They Keep Supporting It! Same Applies To The Payouts!

What one or two track(s) is/are going to take the plunge, go out on an island, and switch sanction? It would be good business in the long term, but what lonely promoter is going to put up with single digit car counts the first year? What promoter will pay 4-600 to win every week for 8 or 9 car fields? One would have to think that's what would happen the first season, no matter how much a sanction change would help car count half a decade down the road.

I Have Raced At Imca Tracks And Race Track That Adopt Imca Rules. There Was One Track I Raced At That I Guy I Knew Raced There For Years.he Was Able To Have A Great Season And Was On His Way To Winning The Championship For The First Time And Then The Imca Rules Showed There Down Side.other Drivers Were Talking About Claiming His Motor And See If He Would Take The Claim Or Lose The Championship.well To Make A Long Story Short,i Stepped In And Claimed His Motor One Night.after The Claim I Returned His Motor To Him The Next Day.but The Other Guys At The Track Came Up To Me And Patted Me On The Back And Told Me If You Didn't Do It I Would Of.in My Mind That Is Not Racing,knowing That If You Run Good And During The Season You Get 1 Or 2 Guys That Don't Care For You That You Could Lose Your Motor For $525.00. I Agree Imca Has Some Great Rules And The Tire Bill Is Cheaper,but They Need To Work On The Motor Claim And Make It $525.00 Or Exchange. Or Use The Same Rules As Imca Without The The Engine Claim.i Thought I Would Let You Guys Know Of The Experience I Had With Imca At One Track.and As Far As The Pay Goes Some Tracks Go By Car Count.thanks For Your Time.

Rocket0

the claim rule helps keep the cost of engines down,it takes a minimal amount of motor to be fast and competative,you dont have to go out and spend 20,000 on a motor,in imca racing if you do your gonna lose it plain and simple....figure this...in ump there are guys that have 4000 dollar cars,8000 dollar engines,and a 2000 dollar tire bill..that is a low budget guy,it is hard for him to run with a big ump guy that spends 12,000 on a car,20,000 on an engine and 6000 on tires...now in imca you low budget guys have 4000 dollar cars,4000 dollar engines and a 1000 dollar tire bill and can run up front just as well as the top notch boys...it is a more level playing feild,easier on the wallet,and easier for new members to get into it intern making the sport grow...yes there is still guys in the imca that are spending mega bucks but it doesnt help cause they will get claimed....but as i said to each ones own,they both have their ups and downs,i just lean more towards the imca sanction

A few years ago at the St. Francois County Raceway and shortly after we brought back the modified class, the guys were having a hard time with the hard tires on what gets to be a dry slick track a lot of times. The question of allowing the "softer" tires (aka Hoosiers) was thoroughly discussed. It just seemed apparent to me that we just needed to switch the tires, but when we polled the drivers and owners it was like four-to-one in favor of staying with the American Racer tires. The reason: $$$$$$$$$$$. Most said the change would run them out of the class or severely hurt them. At the time I had no idea of the HUGE amount of difference. The example Pitdrifter listed was perfect. And when you consider that's just the tire bill it really makes you scratch your head.

Maybe it is time for UMP to finally split the modified class and sponsor a UMP A-Mod and a UMP B-Mod. There have been rumors of this for years, but they were just that, rumors. This would allow the guys who want to spend big money chase a big purse and allow the little guy to chase after local glory without spending a lot of money.

Godfrey was a perfect example of what a B-Class could be for modified. When we went there at the beginning of the year they had approximately 25 to 30 A- Modified and only 8 or 9 B-Mods. When we went there for a show towards the end of the season the classes had almost swapped. The A-Mods had 10 to 15 cars and the B-Mods have 25 to 30. The starting money was better in the A-Mods but the B-Mod class still pulled more cars because lower budget guys could run up front.

But in reality UMP will never split the modified into two classes for one reason, $$$....... and Bob S.

Back