Ump Sportsman Chapion Whos Your Pick?

Just wondering who you think will win the Sportsman points championship?I think it will be sad if that guy from ohio wins with only 19 nights of racing.

You mean the Oakshade car? The track that is still running wide fives and not on the E-Mod!

This is ridiculous that a car could win from a track that is not even adopting the one rule that UMP mandated. This is not fair to the other competitors and tracks that followed that rule. UMP Sportsman championship will be a farce if they allow something like this to happen.

If something like this happens, how many tracks are going to continue sanctioning UMP Sportsman? How many drivers are going to buy a membership in 2007 if the rules are not followed?

Hopefully not many tacks will stay with them since they are allowing this crap. Also I can say myself we will not be buying a UMP membership next year.

Oakshade cars have to run a e-mod on the right rear

From the UMP web site>>>
THE ONLY RULE FOR 2006 WILL BE THAT ALL CLASSES WILL BE REQUIRED TO RUN THE HOOSIER MODIFIED TIRE. THE TRACK CAN REQUIRE THAT YOU ONLY RUN CERTAIN COMPOUNDS OR THEY MAY ALLOW YOU TO RUN ALL 3 COMPOUNDS.

I guess it doesn't state that they must run this tire all the way around or on the rear. I thought I heard that both rear tires have to be the E-Mod. Anyone know for sure?

You mean the Oakshade car? The track that is still running wide fives and not on the E-Mod!

THE OAKSHADE GUY WILL GET 20 NIGHTS IN. THEIR PROMOTER WILL SEE TO IT. HE'LL RUN DOUBLE FEATURES AT THE DROP OF A HAT. ITS PLAIN TO SEE HE WANTS THE CHAMP COMING FROM THERE.

I THOUGHT TO GET DOUBLE UMP POINTS FROM ONE NIGHT, 2 COMPLETE SHOWS HAD TO BE RUN WITH 2 COMPLETE PAYOUTS? FROM THE OAK SHADEY RESULTS IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THATS THE CASE. IF THATS IS UMP'S RULE, THEY HOULD BE CHECKING INTO THAT.

MAYBE WE CAN TALK KEVIN AT TCS TO LET US RUN DOUBLE FEATURES ON THE OCT 1ST.

ump is going to FORCE the promotors to sanction the sportsman class and they are also going to FORCE the drivers to be a ump member. fairbury website says it will be mandatory for drivers to have a ump license.

Im sure Rusty Schlenk is more worried about UMP Late Model points then the Sportsman points. Im sure theres a lot of $$ diference. Its not his sportsman car either, he just drives it for someone. The kid is a helluva driver and you cant take it from him. They run against a lot of cars at Oakshade in all classes. Its not his fault that the rules arent the same up there as they are down here. It wouldnt bother me to see him win it. Rusty is a good kid and would help anybody out. I have spoke to him many times when he comes down here to race and we have emailed each other. Racing is in his blood and thats all he wants to do. I hope he makes it big someday.

Nic

Rules Are Rules And Im Not Doubting That, But Would All The Guys From Here Go Out To Oakshade To Point Race??? I Doubt It, It Doesn't Pay Enough To Drive Out There And Get Tore Up For What 250-400 To Win??? I Look At It This Way, If They Are Racing Other Cars That Run The Same Rules As They Are, How Is That An Advantage Over Our Cars In Stl Area??? Now If They Came Here To Run Against Me Or Miasel Or Bauman, Then They Would Have To Run E-mods And Be Legal With Our Track Rules. Can We Run Against Them, Yes!!!!! I Ran At Farmer City With The Sportsmans Out There With Rules Close To The Oakshade Cars And Was Doing Quite Well. Started 9th In The Heat Race And Finished 6th, Won The Consi, And Started Like 19th And Was Running 9th When The Cars In Front Of Me Wrecked And I Had Noware To Go..it Was The Car That Hit Me That Took Me Out Of The Race.. Anyway I Think If They Can Win In Their Rule Division Then My Hat Is Off To Them, If They Ran Down Here With Wide 5's And Such Then That Would Not Fly... I Do Firmly Believe That Ump Failed In Forcing The Rule That They Stated Before The Racing Season Started And Even Giving The Allied Cars Time To Replace The Back Tires With E-mods To Help With Cost. They Should Have Done The Same For Every Track That Didn't Run E-mods... Good Luck To Everyone Who Is Still Chasing Points.

it ain't the tires they are allowed to run a 4 barrel plus the guyfromoakshade doesn't just there do a search on him

so do the farmer city guys, but again isn't he running with other cars with the same rules or is he running with 2 barrel stock 4 link cars with 360 max ci, get the point? if he is legal with the track rules then good for him. if he is cheating then i think they should strip all points. however i just read that miasel just took over the points lead. go get em steve!!!!!!

I am not holding anything against the guys racing up there. This is more of a case of UMP dropping the ball. How can you have a NATIONAL championship when the cars are that far off. Korte, Dixon, Bittle, Weber, etc can go to any UMP track and race against thier competition. In this area, most cars are close. Oakshade allows tube frames, coil overs, racks. That is quite a difference, not Allied to Tri City difference!

Right now we are leading in points. Not sure if we will even buy a membership next year.

How can the promoters in this area continue to push the Sportsman sanction when UMP is not levelling the playing field? You have a track owner in Ohio that is running double features on a whim. As Pit said, I thought each feature had to have heats or qualifying races. According to Oaks web site they only ran heats for one feature. Is that fair?

Oakshade's message board also talks about how far away their rules are compared to the rest of the sportsman class. They are saying that their sportsman class may not be UMP sanctioned in 2007.

Kimmons who is kicking butt at Farmer City took his car up to Oakshade and finished 14th. He got a lot more competitive when he drove Schlenk's car at Oakshade. So I wonder how close Farmer City's cars are to Oakshade?

Don't give up yet. I believe UMP will get the rules straightened out. If everybody bails after just one year you can say bye bye to any chance of ever getting a national deal done.

Either way the local boys sure are making us proud by being so far up the points ladder. Good Luck Guys and bring it home !!!!!!!

here we go again

the cars at oakshade can run 4-bar, z-link, swing-arm or whatever other rear suspension you want. kimmons told me that his car wasnt very competitive at oakshade. and he runs top 5 about every nite at FC. when he ran rustys car he said it was night and day difference in handling. the rules at FC are not close to oakshades at all. we can run 3link, multileafs or monos and coils. and 1 traction device( pull bar or lift bar, not both.) you cant beat a swing arm or 4 bar for mechanical traction. we all know ump and the sportsman class needs a lot of work. it wont happen anytime soon. hey rudy pu racing, you raced good at FC, i followed you in the semi and raced a good race. my question for you is are on on straight multi or are you floating the rear? Kevin Crowder 94c

The Idea that the oakshade cars are so much different than ours is not the problem ,the problem is the car count bonus system was not thought out very well.This system was put into effect to stop the mod and lm guys from cherry picking.Last year Schwarts won a lot of races at Charleston Speedway with low car counts.The guys who run at bigger tracks could not compete.They should not be giving one point per car over 20,It should be more like 0-20 60 points 21-30 64 points 30 and up 68 points.That would still keep it in reach for a guy at small tracks but still reward a guy who beats a bunch of cars to win a feature. On last years point system Steve Maisel,Kimmons and Bauman would be way ahead of the oakshade guys.One suggestion for fixing this was up the races counted to thirty,from twenty,so those guys would have to race somewhere else.That won't fix it because a few of those guys will build a second car to run elsewhere ,defeating the purpose of sportsman racing.If our local tracks require us to join UMP to race at there tracks they Damm well better make sure we have a shot at the big prize. P.S.if Oakshade had not had a rain out they would have the top three spots locked up already.

Im sure Rusty Schlenk is more worried about UMP Late Model points then the Sportsman points. Im sure theres a lot of $$ diference. Its not his sportsman car either, he just drives it for someone. The kid is a helluva driver and you cant take it from him. They run against a lot of cars at Oakshade in all classes. Its not his fault that the rules arent the same up there as they are down here. It wouldnt bother me to see him win it. Rusty is a good kid and would help anybody out. I have spoke to him many times when he comes down here to race and we have emailed each other. Racing is in his blood and thats all he wants to do. I hope he makes it big someday.

Nic

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE GUYS RUNNING AT OAKSHADE. MY PROBLEM IS WITH UMP. UMP TOLD US THEMSELF WHAT HAD TO BE DONE TO RECIEVE DOUBLE POINTS ON A NIGHT. JUDGING BY THE OAKSHADE WEB SITE RESULTS, THOSE RULES HAVEN'T BEEN MET. YOU CAN'T RUN 1 SET OF HEAT RACES A DASH AND A SEMI THEN RUN TWIN FEATURES AND GET DOUBLE POINTS FOR IT. THEY WEREN'T GIVEN 10 POINTS AND A NIGHT CHARGED TO THEM LIKE THE I55 GUYS WERE FOR A RAINOUT BEFORE THE FEATURE LINE UP WAS SET. ALSO JUDGING FROM THEIR WEB RESULTS, THEY MADE IT UP 2 WEEKS LATER WITH DOUBLE FEATURES. SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A NIGHT IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT AFTER THEY GOT THEIR 20 IN, THATS MY PROBLEM. I UNDERSTAND THE SPORTSMAN AREN'T RACING UNDER THE SAME CAR RULES. BUT, WE SHOULD BE RACING UNDER THE SAME POINTS RULES!!!!!!!!

If the rules were fair from up there to down here, basing it on 30 nights would be hard. They start a month later up there and close almost a month early . Then it wouldnt be fair for them guys. Its and either or situation. UMP Point isnt worth running for in my opinoin. The $$ you spend to be up there is no where close to what you get back this being said from experience. Last 2 years we were 13th and 14th in UMP Late Models and didnt even get $1000 each time. How many extra nights did we run to get up there??? Several!! It wasnt worth the $$ and the hassle. JMO

Nic Lampe

Here is the UMP points payoff for a few guys from the area if the points ended today:

Korte: $30,375 (includes NALMS)
Sheppard: $5,300

Harrison: $5,350 - Does not include Wolfpack Championship
Bittle: $7,300

Back