us steel shut down

sparky

well merry christmas to everyone, what do you think the us steel shutdown will have on the local racing scene for this summer, i think alot but ya never know, whats your opinion?

i know i will have to think about the changes i was going to do this year with this ordeal, but i sorta had a bad feeling about the economic trickle down effect.
anyway merry christmas, maybe i wont be outa work that long!

sparky

Hey Spark,
Sorry to hear about the layoff buddy, I was thinking about you when I read the story. Zach always looked to see if the car was out, or if you guys were working on it when we were heading up to the quarter midget track. Hang in there, hopefully the plant will be up and running in the near future.

I work for an electrical contractor, and it took awhile but the economy finally caught up to the commercial side too. Residential has been hurting for a couple of years now, but it's even affecting the big contractors now. Fortunately my employer has secured enough work to at least get us halfway through next year. We lost quite a few electricians due to lack of work this year though. Pretty scary out there. We'll keep you in our prayers, keep the faith brother!

Dennis

From what I've been hearing in the news, this is not the first steel plant to be idled. Most have restarted after a couple of weeks. Hopefully this is true for US Steel as well.

Good luck.

BTW, the company I work for had to lay off 3 field surveyors right before Thanksgiving. I'm also hearing that raises and bonuses will be cut, if not totally eliminated this year, because so many projects have been put on hold, and clients aren't able to pay bills.

Suppose Obama is thinking, "about that election thing, nevermind, I've changed my mind. This country is too screwed up for anyone to fix".:eek:

Suppose Obama is thinking, "about that election thing, nevermind, I've changed my mind. This country is too screwed up for anyone to fix".:eek:
Is this going to be Obama's excuse for not coming through on one damn thing that he promised his followers?

Sparky, is US Steel actually the old Granite City Steel and did they change anything when they took over? Just asking.

Oh please, he hasn't even served one day. Give the man a chance, he's got the hardest job in the world, and that's trying to fix this country after Bush got done with it.

Did anyone else see where Bush graded his years in office as an A and that he doesn't have any regret's?

Oh please, he hasn't even served one day. Give the man a chance, he's got the hardest job in the world, and that's trying to fix this country after Bush got done with it.

Oh, really? I guess I have been misunderstanding the news! I was under the impression that his Lord Highness had already taken over!

my place of employment offered an early buyout to folks 55 and older and got 40 takers. they canned 13 more today. this brings the years total to somewhere around 65 people let go out of a little more than 300 people.
so far,im doing alright,but ive been keeping as low a profile as i can. got 6 more years till i get the full pull on my pension and im hoping to make it.
will still haave to work a number of years after that regardless,just dont want to find out i wasted 22 years of my life. and if they could fire/layoff someone with 30 years on the job,they could can me as well.

steel

i work for alberici and we are having trouble finding steel companys still open in us and other countries this is just a hard time for all and it will get better so hold your heads up :D

Engineer friend of mine from US steel found out he lost his job from the news...that must be a crazy feeling!

yes U.S Steel is Granite City Steel. Not American Steel which is right down the road. also the granite city division of u.s steel is making money. the orders just aren't in. from what my father hears in the big meeting is that the orders should be back within a couple months at most. the automotive industry has nothing to do with this situation. they don't provide steel for the auto industry. they have one furnace on idle waiting for orders. they were projected to lose money in November but came out ahead a million dollars and this month they are suppose to lose money. they were making a ton of money just prior to this situation. one of the best quarters in u.s steel history. the workers changed to united steel workers instead of chemical workers here recently but that didn't have anything to do with the layoffs. my brother is suppose to get laid off this week after 10 years of service and my father is a manager there and he thinks his job will be o.k. hes in the heavy equipment/mechanics garage and had to cut some workers but not all. also from the big meetings hes been in, it looks like they will not be shutting down permanently but just temperately on idle. back about 5 years ago or more when u.s steel took over they got rid of 80% of their management. so pretty much all of the weeding out of management has taking place. back right before u.s steel took over they were losing millions just to stay in business and everything came out o.k. if the granite city division closes for good there is something serious going on because they have been one of the biggest money makers in the steel industry.

thats what i couldnt swallow very well, they tell us we are one of the best at makin money for them but shut all the old national plants down!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well things will get better wrote down on our job surveys what job i would like to be trained on i wrote down brain surgeon and gigilo, and truck driver lol

merry christmas too everyone
sparky

Back