Vaught takes home seventh Late Model victory, Cutshaw gets two in a row in Modified

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Dusty Luthy
LEBANON, Mo. - Still recuperating from the invasion of the World of Outlaws on Tuesday night, the Lebanon I-44 Speedway had some of its fastest racing of the season on G-3 Boats night at the speedway.

The Late Model feature saw an unusual three different drivers in the lead spot. Will Vaught of Crane took the checkered of the hotly contested race.

"I just kind of had to get the line," Vaught said. "I knew the bottom was going to work after I got by myself...it took off. When I got around Brad and Brian, too, it really took off. Brian had it hooked up on the outside and I had her hooked up on the bottom; it was really anyone's race."

Republic's Brad Looney grabbed the pole with Brian Schutt of Lebanon sitting on his outside for second starter. Vaught sat in at third. All three drivers held the lead for several laps each during the feature. Each received first in their respective heat races.

Looney was the best finishing local driver in the World of Outlaws race, receiving 10th after a scoring error sent Billy Moyer back several spots in the finishes.

Looney got the lead jump on the green flag as Vaught followed closely on the inside. Schutt fell to third place only to find a stiff competitor in Springfield's Dave Ware as they went side by side on the back stretch on the first laps.

Leroy Johnson, also of Springfield was running fifth, followed by Late Model rookie driver, Matt Miller of Camdenton. Miller then fell back several spots to 12th on the fifth lap.

Schutt and Ware were still side by side on lap three, but Schutt was able to claim a demanding lead the following lap, digging his right rear wheel in the high side dirt.

Schutt continued high, putting pressure on second place driver Vaught on lap six. Schutt took second on the next lap, allowing his momentum to put him side by side with lap-leader Looney on lap eight. Schutt captured the first spot on lap nine.

Vaught continued his run on the inside of the track and tried a run against Looney, but was delayed.

Glen Yarbrough was running his first night with the speedway when, on lap nine, he spins into the infield from turns one and two, leaving a trail of fire behind him and his own car in front of him in flames. Yarbrough made it out of his care safely as track officials put the fire out with extinguishers.

On the restart, Schutt went back on the high side as Looney desperately tried the inside groove. They went side by side, but Schutt held on to his lead.

With Looney working on Schutt, Vaught was biding his time in third on the inside, waiting for his moment to strike. His moment came on lap 12 when Looney went high to try a different groove, leaving the inside wide open for Vaught's advancement. Vaught took second on lap 13.

On the 15th lap, it was Schutt, Vaught, Looney, Ware and T.J. Kuykendall from Warsaw running fifth.

The leaders began to run into lap traffic, navigating successfully around the first car, but slowing Schutt's momentum. Vaught began a side-by-side run with Schutt on the 18th lap on the back straightaway. Vaught gained a slight lead on Schutt for first on the 19th lap.

On turns three and four of lap 22, Schutt and Vaught were left to navigate their way through five drivers who were all vying for the same position. Vaught made a miraculous weave through the pack as Schutt got hung up on the outside of the pack, allowing Looney to catch up.

With the white flag waving, Schutt took turns one and two a little too tight, taking his car sideways before slowing down and straightening up. Looney also had to slow down to avoid hitting Schutt, but as they drove down the back straightaway, they got caught up again, halting both runs in the wreck. That left Vaught to take the checkered flag and Ware to take second.

"I'm happy we won again, and we're just fortunate to get out there and not be in that wreck," said Vaught.

In past races, Vaught has had problems navigating lap cars and has lost positions because of the inexperience. He said the more times he experiences the challenge of traffic, the better he seems to become.

"The first year, I wasn't very good at lap cars," he admitted, "We got taken out twice leading the race with a lap car. I'm getting better and I think it's paid off tonight. I think here were five or six all in a bunch and I passed them."

He said a little luck didn't hurt him, either.

"It's half luck and half skill," he said. "I'm happy we got through them and didn't tear anything up."

Ware knows that Lady Luck has been on his side for several occasions.

"That was another one of them should have been fourth ended up second so, I don't know," he said. "I came along far enough behind them can caught the end of them."

Ware was coming off his second victory at Bolivar Speedway the previous night and said he had a lot of luck there, as well.

"Had a lot of luck last night and started up front and that helps out a bunch," said Ware.

The speedway also ran the $750-to-win Factory Stock feature that was postponed due to weather from Tuesday night. The feature was the first to run in the evening, with Tim Brown taking the lead and holding it to the end of the feature. Jody Tillman received second after second-place contender Jordan Holloway of Monett rolled to the pits with two laps remaining of the 25-lap feature.

Jeff Cutshaw of Cross Timbers won two in a row in the Modified feature, making that his third victory of the season. Cutshaw, Erik Maggard, Rex Merritt, Justin Neuman and Steve Picou all found their spots early in the feature and held them to their respective finishes. Steve Martin, a usual Modified contender was sent to the pits to put his fuel cap on his tank, and came back out a lap down in the feature.

Steve Morton won his fourth Super Stock feature, driving the 000 car. Jody Tillman took first in the regular Factory Stock feature in his first visit to the speedway this season. Jason Huey won his third Bomber feature and Bob Mock won his first Legends feature of the season.

Up next: Aug. 6 will feature a kid's bike race at intermission. Kids 12 and under are encouraged to participate. Two children's bicycles will be the top prizes, with every child receiving a prize that participates.

RESULTS

Late Model

Heat 1

1. 15s Brian Schutt
2. 28 Leroy Johnson
3. 2m Dustin Mooneyham
4. 2p R.D. Peterson
5. 23 Blane Reed
6. 14m Reid Millard

Heat 2

1. 1v Will Vaught
2. 17m Matt Miller
3. 12 Glen Yarbrough
4. 8k T.J. Kuykendall
5. 6 Bob Cummings
6. 33L Jim Lile

Heat 3

1. 14L Brad Looney
2. 55 Dave Ware
3. 31 Bob Hiller
4. 72 Larry Moon
5. y8 Shorty Acker
6. 17s Kenny Scott

Feature

1. 1v Will Vaught
2. 55 Dave Ware
3. 8k T.J. Kuykendall
4. 28 Leroy Johnson
5. 72 Larry Moon
6. 31 Bob Hiller
7. 15s Brian Schutt
8. 14L Brad Looney
9. 17m Matt Miller
10. 2p R.D. Peterson
11. 33 Jim Lile
12. 14m Reid Millard
13. 17s Kenny Scott
14. 23 Blane Reed
15. 12 Glen Yarbrough
16. 6 Bob Cummings
17. 2m Dustin Mooneyham

DNS Shorty Acker

Factory Stock

Feature from Tuesday, July 26, WoO race

1. 1b Tim Brown
2. 85 Jody Tillman
3. 37c Gary Chambers
4. 18 Jim Reaves
5. 20b Kevin Burgess
6. 20 Tyson Twedt
7. 37p Derrick Peterson
8. 21 Jordan Holloway
9. 6 Tom Gerleve
10. h23 Jimmy Miller
11. 41 Jim Cox
12. 25 Chad Smith
13. 83 Bryan Tillman
14. 5 Lake Mooneyham
15. 76 Kevin Brown
16. 94 Kenny Carroll

Modifieds

Heat 1

1. 31m Erik Maggard
2. 00z Steve Picou
3. 25 Rex Merritt
4. 21m Steve Martin
5. 20 Tom Twedt
6. 7 Michael Jones
7. 71 Kevin Crider

Heat 2

1. 98 Jeff Cutshaw
2. 14n Justin Neuman
3. 17 Rod Cordon
4. 4 Don Cable
5. 14m Casey Mooneyham
6. 47 Cory Simpson

Feature

1. 98 Jeff Cutshaw
2. 31m Erik Maggard
3. 25 Rex Merritt
4. 14n Justin Neuman
5. 00z Steve Picou
6. 17 Rod Cordon
7. 20 Tom Twedt
8. 14m Casey Mooneyham
9. 7 Michael Jones
10. 21m Steve Martin
11. 47 Cory Simpson
12. 71 Kevin Crider
13. 4 Don Cable

Factory Stock

Heat 1

1. 37c Gary Chambers
2. 03 Tim Ellis
3. 54g Mike Green

DNS Jim Cox, Tim Brown, Kevin Brown, Tyson Twedt

Heat 2

1. 21 Jordan Holloway
2. 85 Jody Tillman
3. 20b Kevin Burgess
4. h23 Jimmy Miller
5. 61 Mike Murzynski
6. 25 Chad Smith

DNS Tom Gerleve

Heat 3

1. 5 Lake Mooneyham
2. 83 Brian Tillman
3. 37p Derrick Peterson
4. 117 Shawn Danuser
5. 18 Jim Reaves

DNS Kenny Carroll, Jason Eisenburger

Feature

1. 85 Jody Tillman
2. 18 Jim Reaves
3. 83 Bryan Tillman
4. 21 Jordan Holloway
5. 20b Kevin Burgess
6. 37p Derrick Peterson
7. 117 Shawn Danuser
8. h23 Jimmy Miller
9. 61 Mike Murzynski
10. 03 Tim Ellis
11. 54g Mike Green
12. 37c Gary Chambers
13. 41 Jim Cox
14. 5 Lake Mooneyham
15. 25 Chad Smith

DNS Tyson Twedt, Tom Gerleve, Tim Brown, Kevin Brown, Kenny Carroll, Jason Eisenburger

Super Stock

Heat 1

1. 21 Josh Woody
2. 000 Steve Morton
3. 4 Chuck Avis
4. 29 Jeff Kinsley
5. 87 Dewayne Hobbs
6. 85 David Saffeels
7. 17t Ted Ballinger
8. 68 Gary Pressman

Feature

1. 000 Steve Morton