Vaught takes sixth Late Model victory, Modified points leader Cutshaw wins at I-44!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Dusty Luthy
LEBANON, Mo. - Expectations for the Tuesday night World of Outlaws race were running high, but several drivers kept a competitive race at the Lebanon I-44 Speedway on Saturday night.

Will Vaught of Crane made it two in a row with his Late Model victory. The points leader now has six speedway victories tucked under his belt. Modified points leader Jeff Cutshaw of Cross Timbers took home his second win.

Vaught said little had changed on his car from the previous week and win. He said a change in the rear of his car has made all the difference and is gearing up for Tuesday night.

"Me and dad worked on it a lot this week, just trying to fine tune it for Tuesday night," Vaught said.

The Late Model feature was one of attrition; eight cars out of 16 starters were able to finish the race after several wrecks, flat tires and spin-outs. Those cautions add a different pace to a race.

"There were way too many of them, that's for sure," said Lebanon's Brian Schutt about the amount of cautions. "I didn't know what to think of them. We were running pretty good, but I didn't need all those cautions."

Schutt, who received second in the Late Model feature, added that hindsight seemed to have perfect vision.

"I thought maybe on one (caution), I'd get going and get Will, but I couldn't get by," he said. "I should have gone high. Dave Ware got up there and I went up the high side and then he spun and I went back to the bottom. I should have gone high, I probably could have won."

With cautions stacking up drivers and veterans racing to challenge him, Vaught said he knows no intimidation.

"I don't want to drive over my head if somebody drives beside me and tries to intimidate me," he said. "That's one thing, being young, nobody intimidates me."

"I just want to be smooth," said Vaught, "if somebody passes me, they're faster and I'll try to move their line, just try to stay smooth and consistent every lap."

Brad Looney of Republic snagged the pole, but it was Vaught who got the jump and stayed in the lead. Looney didn't last the race long - he went to the pits on lap two with a flat tire.

Schutt had made the jump to third, followed by Reid Millard of Jefferson City and Jason Meadors of Fordland.

After a restart on lap two, Dustin Mooneyham of Aurora came charging down the back stretch from his eighth place start to battle for fourth with Springfield's Dave Ware. Meadors went off the track with a flat tire.

Millard fell several spots as Ware and Schutt go side by side for second. Schutt manages to pull ahead for a few laps.

Vaught and Schutt were taking the inside as challengers Ware and Mooneyham were charging on the outside of the track. On lap 15, Ware begins sling-shotting out of turns two and four for extra bite against Schutt. On the 17th lap, Ware took the high side for second, but a caution prevented him from continuing his run.

On the restart, it looked as though Ware was going to overtake Vaught on the high side on turn two, but he charged too hard, dipping into the pack of cars, collecting Mooneyham. Both cars kept moving, but were at the back of the lineup.

Ware managed to make it back to a third place finish.

Joey Mack of Benton made it to the speedway, but had engine problems during the heat race and couldn't compete in the feature.

Vaught and several other local speedway drivers will be matching their speed against the World of Outlaws Dirty Dozen and Carl Edwards next week. Vaught said he was "pumped" for the event, but was a little worried about time trials.

"Time trials are the only thing," he said. "We don't do that. Those guys do it, for or five times a week, so getting used to that (will be challenging)."

Looney got behind the wheel of the No. 99 car especially built for NASCAR driver Carl Edwards to drive Tuesday night. Looney drove a few laps during intermission, but kept it in the pits for more work.

Jeff Cutshaw and fellow Modified drivers showed the speedway some three-wheeling action. Cutshaw got the initial jump after securing the pole and held it to the end.

Erik Maggard of Republic was driving a hard second place spot against Rex Merritt of Billings, only to lose his right rear tire on the last lap.

Cutshaw said his run was much like the previous week and shared sympathies with Maggard.

"I really didn't change anything on the car from last week," Cutshaw said. "Had a good run last week, had a tire come apart like Erik Maggard did tonight. Other than that, we'd have had a good run last week too, but we had to finish second, which that's alright, that's a good night. Everything's just working good right now."

With win-leader Terry Beckham Jr. of Webb City being noticeably absent, Cutshaw said the absence helped.

"It definitely made it a little easier because he's definitely the one to beat here," he said.

Cutshaw said his racing style changes according to the competition.

"If Beckham's here, you run on the low side because he wants the top," he said. "I like the bottom anyway and he likes the top so it works out pretty good. We have pretty good races. He's come out on top more that I have, though."

The Pro-4 class was on hand for racing action. The four-cylinder engines drove a fast circuit as Lonnie Muhlbauer pulled in a victory. Josh Woody of Waynesville took home his fourth first place trophy in the Super Stock division. James Flood took home win No. 6 in the Bomber class.

Stoutland's Tim Brown got the jump in the Factory Stock class, only to have Jordan Holloway of Monett sneak in for his fifth victory with four laps to go.

Up next: The World of Outlaws racing series and NASCAR driver Carl Edwards will be at the speedway for a $10,000-to-win purse Tuesday night. Factory Stocks will also be racing for a $750 purse.

RESULTS

Late Model

Heat 1

1. 15s Brian Schutt
2. 1v Will Vaught
3. 71 Jason Meadors
4. 20 Darrell Mooneyham
5. 17m Matt Miller
6. 72 Ron McQuerry
7. 6 Bob Cummings
8. 97m Joey Mack

Heat 2