Volunteer Speedway to host World of Outlaws Late Model Series

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Robert Walden

BULLS GAP, Tenn. – Volunteer Speedway will kick off its 2004 racing season in grand style with a big weekend of exciting action at the high-banked, 4/10-mile speedplant on Friday and Saturday, March 26-27. The Duayne Hommel Benefit is scheduled for Friday night, and the World of Outlaws Late Model Series makes its first-ever visit to the track on Saturday competing in a 60-lap feature paying $10,000-to-win.

The Duayne Hommel Benefit presented by Hoosier Tire South, on Friday (March 26), will feature a $3,000-to-win (35 laps) Super Late Model event. For drivers failing to make the 24-car starting field for the $3,000-to-win main, a $1,000-to-win (Non Qualifiers) race will be run. There will be a $50 entry fee for the Super Late Models.

Also scheduled are Limited Late Model, Hobby Stock, 4-Cylinder and Front Wheel Drive features. Friday grandstand admission is $15, with pit passes and backside tier-parking $25.

An exciting World of Outlaws Late Model show complete with qualifying, heat races, consolation(s) and fast-car dash highlight Saturday (March 27) night’s racing program. The WoO Late Model A-main will be 60 laps paying $10,000-to-win. Also in action will be the UMP (Open-Wheel) Modifieds. Saturday grandstand admission is $25, with pit passes and backside tier-parking $35.

The pit gate will open each day at 2 p.m., with the grandstands opening daily at 5 p.m.

The World of Outlaws Late Model Series features the “Dirty Dozen” … arguably 12 of the top names in dirt racing: Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, Tenn., Batesville, Ark.’s Billy Moyer, Rick Eckert of York, Pa., Ashland, Ky.’s Steve Francis, Dale McDowell of Chickamauga, Ga., Pewaukee, Wisc.’s Dan Schlieper, Bart Hartman of Zanesville, Ohio, Batesville, Ark.’s Wendell Wallace, Rick Aukland of Zanesville, Ohio, Parkersburg, W.Va.’s Mike Balzano, Chub Frank of Sugar Grove, Pa., and Union, Ky.’s Darrell Lanigan.

“I’m really looking forward to getting back to Volunteer Speedway to race this coming weekend because that’s always been one of my favorite tracks,” said the 37-year-old points leader McDowell. “Man, with those high banks you sure do get around there in a hurry. You’ve got to really be up on the wheel and hustle your car around there. I’ve always run very well at ‘The Gap’ and I believe the fans are going to see one great night of racing. I know there’s going to be a tremendous field of cars present, and hopefully we’ll be able to capture us our second victory of the year.

“With this new deal (World of Outlaws Late Model Series) we’re running this year, I’m really pumped up with excitement like you wouldn’t believe. I feel like the series has assembled the top dirt Late Model drivers in the country to showcase to the fans wherever we go to race. I know the promoters’ at tracks like to be able to guarantee their fans what drivers will be present to race, and with what we’re doing they can make that guarantee … because we all will be there.”

Besides the WoO regulars, expect a stellar field of heavy-hitters from the world of dirt Late Model racing to also be present. And of course, look for a strong contingent of East Tennessee locals to be on hand trying to defend their home turf from the “outlaws.” This event is shaping up to quite possibly be the biggest race ever held at Volunteer Speedway, making it a “must see.”

An evening of open practice is scheduled for Thursday, March 25 from 5-9 p.m. Pit admission is $20 for everyone who enters the pit sign-in gate, but there will be no charge to go in the grandstands.

Through the series’ first six events of 2004 – resulting in six different winners – the top 10 in World of Outlaws points entering the seventh event at Volunteer Speedway are: 1) Dale McDowell (519), 2) Scott Bloomquist (512), 2) Rick Eckert (512), 4) Billy Moyer (507), 5) Steve Francis (505), 6) Bart Hartman (489), 7) Dan Schlieper (486), 8) Clint Smith (479), 9) Mike Balzano (472), 10) Shannon Babb (433).

For more information, contact the track at (423) 235-5020, General Manager Doug Gillenwater at (423) 817-0925, or Public Relations Director Robert Walden at (423) 928-9644.

Back