West Virginia's Josh Richards Finally Gets A Homestate Date Sunday Night (May 31) At Tyler County Sp

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
World of Outlaws Late Model Series Points Leader Will Race Just An Hour From His Shop

MIDDLEBOURNE, WV – May 28, 2009 – Since 2005 Josh Richards has traipsed across the country as a regular with the World of Outlaws Late Model Series.

But the born-and-bred West Virginian hasn't had a chance to perform in a tour event in his homestate – until this Sunday night (May 31), that is.

Richards, 21, will finally enjoy a WoO LMS date in his native Mountaineer State on Sunday. The national tour is set to visit Tyler County Speedway, a quarter-mile oval less than an hour's drive west of the young sensation's residence in Shinnston, W.Va.

A 40-lap ‘Legends of the Ring' A-Main paying $7,000 highlights the first-ever WoO LMS program at Tyler County Speedway.

“Everybody I know at home is always asking me, ‘When are you gonna race around here?'” said Richards, who ended the WoO LMS's Memorial Day Weekend action in Missouri and Wisconsin leading the points standings. “I've never gotten to run an Outlaw race in West Virginia since I've been a regular, so I'm really looking forward to it. It's nice to have something close to the house for a change.

“There's going to be a lot of people I know there – a lot of family and friends who rarely get to see me race. That adds a little bit of pressure because you want to do good in front of everybody you know, but we're just gonna try to stay focused like we've been all year and do the best we can.”

The last time the WoO LMS competed in West Virginia was Oct. 1-2, 2004, at West Virginia Motor Speedway in Mineral Wells. Richards participated in WVMS's two-day show, but he was a first-year dirt Late Model driver who entered only selected WoO LMS events that year.

Richards has only made one career start at Tyler County, winning a B-Main and finishing 12th in the 2004 Hillbilly 100 as an up-and-coming 16-year-old. But he's very familiar with the facility.

“I've watched a lot of races there,” said Richards, whose father, Mark, fields Josh's No. 1 cars and co-owns the Rocket Chassis shop in Shinnston. “I used to go there as a kid with my uncle Robbie Scott, who I'm sure will be racing (on Sunday). I'd help out, do whatever needed to be done. And a couple years ago I went there to help my buddy Jared Hawkins.

“It's definitely a unique racetrack,” he continued, focusing on the Tyler County bullring. “It's a racer's racetrack. It's not the prettiest place and it's only a quarter-mile, but the racing there is hard.

“It's a great place to go if you like racing – and it's definitely a track that I like racing on.”

Richards will have to defeat his typically tough band of Outlaws rivals on Sunday, including former Hillbilly 100 winners Clint Smith of Senoia, Ga., and Chub Frank of Bear Lake, Pa.

Other WoO LMS stars headed for Tyler County include defending champion Darrell Lanigan of Union, Ky.; 2008 World 100 winner Shane Clanton of Locust Grove, Ga.; Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky.; Rick Eckert of York, Pa., who scored his first Outlaws victory of the season on May 17 at Lincoln (Ill.) Speedway; Tim Fuller of Watertown, N.Y.; Brady Smith of Solon Springs, Wis.; and Vic Coffey of Caledonia, N.Y. Five 2009 Rookie of the Year candidates will also be in the field: Jordan Bland of Campbellsville, Ky., Russell King of Bristolville, Ohio, who finished third in a 2007 BRP Tour big-block Modified event at Tyler County, Dustin Hapka of Grand Forks, N.D., Brent Robinson of Smithfield, Va., and 14-year-old Tyler Reddick of Corning, Calif.

A strong contingent of West Virginia drivers are expected to challenge the Outlaws, including defending Tyler County champion Paul Wilmoth Jr.; Butch McGill, who has claimed the last two dirt Late Model features at the track; Steve Shaver, who won the ‘Topless 50' at the track; opening-night winner Jared Hawkins; Tim Dohm; Doug Horton; and Robbie Scott.

Sunday night's card will also include special events for the FASTRAK Late Models,Pure Stocks, Junkyard Warriors and Mini-Wedge divisions.

Pit gates will open at 3 p.m. and the grandstand gates will be unlocked at 4 p.m., with hot laps scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m.

General admission is $25, with children 7-12 admitted for $10 and kids 6-and-under free of charge. Pit passes will be $35.

Located in the scenic hills of northern West Virginia, Tyler County Speedway is located just four miles south of Middlebourne on State Route 18 at the fairgrounds.

For more information, visit www.tylercountyspeedway.net or call 304-758-2660 (race day) or 304-758-2934/304-771-5661 (office numbers).

Additional info on the WoO LMS is available by logging on to www.worldofoutlaws.com.

The World of Outlaws Late Model Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including Arizona Sport Shirts (Official Apparel Company), Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Crane Cams (Official Valvetrain), Hoosier Racing Tires (Official Racing Tires), Fusion Energy Boost (Official Energy Boost), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser) and VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors Champ Pans, Eibach Springs, Hoosier Tires, Integra Shocks, Jake's Custom Golf Carts, Ohlins Shocks, Racing Electronics, Quarter Master and Wrisco Aluminum; Crane Cams Engine Builder's Challenge participants Cornett Racing Engines, Custom Race Engines and Pro Power Racing Engines; and Chassis Builder Challenge participants Rocket Chassis and Team Zero by Bloomquist.

Back