What cam to buy?

Racer28

Lets talk Dirt Racin
I'm building a 355 for a heavy 1/2 ton truck.
the truck will be used to pull a small car trailer at times.
I want the motor to be fuel freindly as much as possible.
it will have stock 441 heads,headers,small holley carb.

Any suggestions on a camshaft?

btw a 350 turbo for a tranny!

Thanks for any help!:D

don't have any numbers, or even a favorite brand, but you want a cam that provides as much torque as possible in the lower rpm ranges. you aren't gonna turn this engine any tighter than 4500-5,000 rpm, so stay away from cams that are top-end cams. if this was me, i would stick with factory gm cams right out of the chevy power book.. there are others just as good. BUY NEW!!!! they will give a description of the cam's design in the book.you want something that will provide good throttle reponse,torque, and economy at lower (under4000rpm) engine speeds. beings that the engine is carbureted, i would try to get something designed for a non fuel injected engine; late 70s,early 80s era.. put a double row timing chain in it, and advance it 3 degees. easy to do. just buy the bolt/bushing kit.it also would really help to have the distributor advance curve reset to take advantage of the cam. again, easy to do. i assume you are using stock gm hei. that is what i would do, if this was me.art. dont forget to use new lifters, and lots of good cam pre-lube.

Thanks for the help!

I've built alot of motors for racers but never stock for a truck.
Wasn't sure about a cam?:D

my favorite towing cam is the L82 Corvette cam. Gobs of torque and it doesn't require much additional parts to use. I usually upgrade the valve springs to the Z28 style to compliment the cam. This works great.

Back