What is everyone's thoughts on Dan Rice's thoughts here?

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
What is everyone's thoughts on Dan Rice's thoughts here?

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.ne...7_10152273074298462_8681882028107079026_s.jpg

Dan Rice

***Please read through the thread as new info has become available since I initially made this post. Something I thought about this weekend while at the Dream. In my mind attendance was way down Thursday and Friday by looking at the stands. When I visited the Mall (vendors) there wasn't really a lot going on as compared to usual. What I kept hearing from friends working was "Lot's of people stay home and rent the PPV now." Think about it...no gas money or travel time to the track, no camping fees, no camping supplies for at least 3 days, no motel room for the same 3 days if you do that, food and beverages from your kitchen instead of long concession lines. What's not to like? The rub... There are a LOT of drivers that count on merch sales to keep their teams going. Some of these drivers make more money from merch then actual race winnings. When you are watching from home the impulsive "That guy just kicked everyone's ass I need his shirt!" is now gone. Streaming races is the norm now. I have watched racing from all over the US by doing just that. Let's you go to places you can't always go. It's kind of nice actually. I have friends that make livings doing just this and I think it's great...most of the time. IMO the "Crown Jewel" races should not be offered for streaming for reasons stated above. I think it killed the crowd the first two nights. I know quite a few people that live within a 2 hour radius of Eldora that decided to stay home and watch on PPV instead of actually going. The track makes money off the buys and the company doing the streaming makes its money, but the drivers are the ones that lose. Those guys are the ones putting on the show for us all. A lot of them took a big hit on shirt sales this weekend and IMO it was because the fans just weren't there. It could be because the economy is flat but I don't think that was the only contributing factor. The "A lot of people just can't go" reason is just fine..however, there are a lot of people that can go that are choosing now not to. If the PPV wasn't offered I think they would have.

Continue reading...

Back