What track in IL. did K. Wallace, K. Schrader, and Smoke buy?

WILDTHING#6

WILDTHING#6
Did anyone else hear kenny anounce it after nextel qualifing?

Along with Bob Sargent, Kenny Wallace, Ken Schrader, and Tony Stewart bought Macon Speedway in Decatur, IL.

Why?

Because they understand you need the short tracks to have the big leagues.

New tracks are expensive to build. Sometimes the legislation, zoning, permits, etc. would be just too big of a hurdle. Tracks that are "grandfathered in" are often easier to upgrade than starting completely from scratch (think the "new" (circa 1996) Gateway International Raceway).

It is also an investment......an investment in the future of the sport.

Thanks to guys like Bob Sargent and Ray Marler they make promoting a race track look like a cake walk. Promoting a seasonal motorsports venue has got to be one of the toughest jobs......the amount of people/personalities you have to deal with and coordinate, etc......from the competitors to the fans to the vendors and the governmental agencies it is enormous.

I believe Macon is a diamond in the rough. It definitely has a nastolgic feel to it. But some of the best short track racing you'll ever see! I think people like Schrader, Wallace, and Stewart putting money into a place with such a great history and potential, that is already established in a town that apparently embraces racing is just what the doctor ordered. The Speedway is just on the outside of town nestled between a city street with houses on one side and a large field that is farmed on the other. It kind of reminds me of Belleville in many ways. But I'm really interested in what it will have to offer once these guys start putting their expertise to work there.

Why do you think Forrest Lucas bought Wheatland Raceway and upgraded it. Now we have the "Diamond in the Dirt" Lucas Oil Speedway

Back