What will you miss most at Godfrey Speedway

All of the many friends I have made there throughout the years. Some I see at other tracks, some were Godfrey only. One thing I have missed for years is the old track. The spectator area was definitely improved when they re-did the place, but the high banked 1/4 mile was one racey little joint.

I just loved being there period.. The atmosphere...rootin for your favorite drivers...seeing my brother-in law win 2 championships in the sportsmen division...getting there early watchin all the cars come with the kids and say look theres Ed Dixon or Randy Korte etc....i dont care where else i go to watch the races there will NEVER be another Godfrey Speedway and i will NEVER feel that way about another track..I just hate this sooo bad...I wish i could be there the last night but i dont think I will be able to make it...so everyone make some noise for us ok...I wanna hear ya all the way down here in Yukon, Oklahoma lol...I think im gonna cry so bye......

All the fun nights I had working Security there with Rick Wulfe and Wesley Howard tossing out the drunks that got to rowdy and all the fights that went on in and out of the pits and grandstands. Man those where the good times............... :)

always wanting to go to the races at godfrey when i was a kid and just always going there just the track in genaral put everyone in a good mood but its sad we have to say goodbye to an old old friend all for some stupid concrete place what a world take a family orintated place just to make concrete im sure the wasnt to other property for sale anywhere else

What will I miss?
I will miss the 4th generation of my family getting the chance to attend the races on a weekly basis. My son will never get the chance to see a race there like me, my dad, or his dad has.

I will miss driving 10 minutes to go to the races.

I will miss my car being covered with dirt.

I will miss the fresh feeling of a sandblasted face when the wind is out of the east.

I will miss lots of things about Godfrey Speedway... new and old friends that I never see anywhere but there, hearing Doug do his thing on the mic, seeing the look in kids faces when they ask a local guy to autograph a flag or T shirt... and the big grin and pride the drivers take in penning it. There is way more to this track than the racing that happens there, and that is what i will miss the most.

I will miss sitting 2 rows up by the number 1 turn, and getting pelted with dirt during hot laps. I will miss all the people that went to the track. I will miss all the drivers and their families. I will miss everything about Godfrey Speedway.

I will miss everything about Godfrey! I just felt so at home there. I go to other tracks and enjoy watching the races, but at Godfrey I just felt so comfortable.
Atleast we will always have the memories!

I can start back about 40 years ago and tell you , it was all the old racers, bill meyers, c. c. corbin, lou thery, bud pursley, louie janssen, but these racers arent there any more, the sons and grandsons are now racing and its just as fun to watch the second and third generation drivers race.

I miss the bleacers in the back straight, the hill in turn one and two, the old railroad track bars that made up the wall between the track and the infield, I will miss all the friends, and a few enemies that I have made over the years, i will miss the cheering for my favorite drivers, miss all the officials that I have worked with there over the years, I will miss the near misses I had there, and of course we can't forget the accidents that took the lives of the two that were killed while I worked there, yes there are good and bad memories there and I will miss them all, but they won;t soon be forgotten.

Good luck to all the racers where ever they go, hope to see my friends somewhere down the road, and hope that soon everyone will meet at another racetrack soon.

jumpinjack1dw said:
I can start back about 40 years ago and tell you , it was all the old racers, bill meyers, c. c. corbin, lou thery, bud pursley, louie janssen, but these racers arent there any more, the sons and grandsons are now racing and its just as fun to watch the second and third generation drivers race.

I miss the bleacers in the back straight, the hill in turn one and two, the old railroad track bars that made up the wall between the track and the infield, I will miss all the friends, and a few enemies that I have made over the years, i will miss the cheering for my favorite drivers, miss all the officials that I have worked with there over the years, I will miss the near misses I had there, and of course we can't forget the accidents that took the lives of the two that were killed while I worked there, yes there are good and bad memories there and I will miss them all, but they won;t soon be forgotten.

Good luck to all the racers where ever they go, hope to see my friends somewhere down the road, and hope that soon everyone will meet at another racetrack soon.
i was in the army when rob jones was killed. who was the other driver. can you give more info on the accidents.i will miss seating on the backstretch blechers,the river fish sandwich,taking my little brother to his first races.thanks for the memories.

Well i have been going to godfrey for almost 17 years now and i am going to miss all the memories there growing up watching my family race. Its going to be weird without it...

Memories

We've been going to Godfrey Speedway for many years and have many wonderful memories to look back on. We went there when it was called Ascot Speedway and when thay had stands on the other side of the track and their restrooms were called Janet Guthrie and A. J. Foyt. Bobby Ball was the announcer back then. Anybody remember that far back? Anyhow, many, many happy memories. We will miss it.

mustang.jpeg
I resently found an old late model Mustang that may have been Bob Whiteheads and or Louie Janssens car from the 70's Can anyone help with info or photos from back in the day?

Back