whats the deal with the heads for pure streets

racer_05

If fredericktown track wont let us run the heads that popler bluff and farmington lets pass inspection. I think you will have a lot less pure street show up than what you think, because I for one will not change heads 2 times a week. Not trying to start anything just my 2 cents :D

Hey Josh

Jason here... I checked both websites. SFCR, and the Bluff.. They both say stock production head..Which means put on a production vehicle... The tracks themselves arent even enforcing the rules, and are mis-informing the racers, making them illegal. At least SFCR is. The Bluff I cant comment on..Fredericktown will have these same rules I'm sure, but will however ENFORCE them. Its a shame certain people have spent their hard earned money, on good parts that they may not be able to use.. Just because of misinformation. I think we need to mandate stock Vortecs, down to the valve spring..:D

they should have left the heads alone no vortec 202 valves since they allowed that it has upped the price of this class... didn't they only make the good vortec heads for 3 years 96 97 98?

That would have been best J.J. But were looking at a whole new ball of wax now..The rules need to be enforced, and not misconstrued. Shannon was told he could run a Dart head, as long as it was steel. That was wrong.. Now we have Bowties, and Bowtie Vortecs in the mix being used. Acorrding to the rules... these heads are illegal. They do not meet the requirements.. stock production. They are GM performance parts. Never having been released on a production vehicle. That makes it hard on a track that will be running the same rules, and has to enforce them..Are you to follow the rules or allow them, because one track thought oh well we'll let that slide, it almost makes it....Its not the racers fault.. They were told they coud do it!! BY those who should have known better..After all they should have read the rules. They are the ones enforcing them..

If the heads are being produced by GM, Ford, etc.. wouldn't that be a stock production head? Now Dart or another aftermarket Co. I can see a problem with simple fact it doesn't have GM or Ford on them, and I dont' know of Dart manufacturing any automobiles. If GM, or Ford makes the head I would think that it would be legal head. If they make them surley you can get them on a vehicle from the factory, if not, why make them. And if it comes on a vehicle from the factory I would consider that a stock production part. No offense to anyone just my take on the situation. C-Ya Saturday, Good Luck to all.

I sell these heads and they are illegal. They are made for off road use only. That is GM's way of saying they are intended to be raced with. And they are not production and have never been on a production motor. If deemed legal, just give me a call and I will sell all I can find! By the way, they are having this same problem in the RAMS organization and it isn't a good situation for them either. Every class that says production heads should clarify this so everybody will be on the same page and not run the price of the class up and not waste peoples time and money should they buy them and not get to use them.

well i have called around the bowtie vortec heads werein the 93 corvet ZT1 moter as a factory production up grade also on the iroc Z28 up grade. they were first for a police intersepter motor, then releaced to the public for up grade to a factory corvets:D

Vortec heads on a "93"? I didn't think the started the vortec til later...Just asking, not arguing.

hmmmmm

josh_22 said:
well i have called around the bowtie vortec heads werein the 93 corvet ZT1 moter as a factory production up grade also on the iroc Z28 up grade. they were first for a police intersepter motor, then releaced to the public for up grade to a factory corvets:D
Tom can probably back that up:)

casting numbers

josh 22, give me some casting numbers and I will look in the GM book and see what it says. The book will tell what the head came out on or if it is an over-the-counter "high performance" or "off-road use" part.

One of Fredericktowns most stressed rules is--NO AFTERMARKET HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS--. Even though it it came from GM, Bowtie is still an aftermarket part.
The head rule reads
--Stock production cast iron heads, no porting or polishing, NO BOWTIES !!!!-- this includes Bowtie Vortecs.

This is the rules, period!!!

Derek

The 1993 Corvette only had 2 engine options, and that was LT1 and LT5. The LT5 was a DOHC and the part# for the LT1 was 10205244 which is not a Bow Tie part and is discontinued. Bow Tie stands for GM Performace parts and are not production. The 2 styles of Bow Tie Vortech heads did not even come out untill about 3 years ago. Hope this clears it all up a little!!!

If that's the case and the heads are illegal, better think about another class to take the place of the Pure Streets cause there are alot of those heads out there. And if SFCR lets you run them and The Rock doesn't guys won't race there. JMO. Thanks for clearing it up though.

According to SFCR rules, whoever is running other than production heads is illegal. They must not be enforcing their rules!

Back