Where have they gone?

crash9

I was just thinking about some of the great drivers that used to run SFCR, and was just wondering what happened to them. Most of them are probably retired but where have they gone.
Joey Nash used to drive the 8s I think. It was blue and silver if I remember correctly. Joey was always fast and would always be at the front. He stopped racing down there a few years ago and fell off the face of the earth. Is he still racing somewhere or has he retired.

Another one I believe his name was Jason Smith, could be wrong. Don't remember what number he was, he changed a couple times. He was pretty young and was bad fast, he left Farmington and started traveling, and haven't heard about him in years.

Then there's guys like, Rod Crabtree who was a very good racer and one of the nicest guys down there. I think he tried to retire a few times, I guess he finally did?
What about Doc Probst, Tony Weyant?

I miss seeing these guys down at Farmington. I loved when I-55 would rain out so that I could see them race down there. How bout we bring some names up from the past, Where have they gone?

man Jason Smith he was always fast and i rem him being the #28 i believe it was a yellow car he was a blast to watch, and Doc probst ran into some "legal" problems but i believe he made his return back to the track last year.

Yes, Jason Smith was #28. The car the first couple years that he raced was white and then in '93(Championship year) he went to black. He started driving for Larry Gates in the middle of '95, I believe that he only raced at Farmington once in Gate's car it was a #6 then. I think it was '96 when he got out of racing because he didn't have time to work on the racecar and keep it competitive.

Now he's married has two children and lives in the Evansville, IN area.

I believe that Tony Weyant has also retired. Don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure he has.

A few names....

Jimmy Riley Jr.-Blue Sprinter #77. Front wheels sky-high, tail-tank draggin the dirt and he ain't lifting......pretty car too.

Dave Feese-Tan and red #12 G&C Supply on the wing, often ran a front wing made of plexiglas(see-through). Fast as hell, came to Farmington when his kid needed lunch money. Blake is the kid's name, know him??

Jeff Haussman-Yellow #63 Nance sprinter. He was from somewhere in Texas. I don't remember him winning alot, but his car was different looking and I think that is why he stood out.

Bobby Hawks-#2s First sprintcar flip I ever saw. End-over-end down the front stretch and the whole car got higher than the fence. (Thinking back, he may have been driving the number 5 car at that time.)

Jeff Wiggs-#71 I thought his red, black and orange car was the best looking car there. He was married to Tommy Jr.'s sister. Seems like he broke his neck and was out of action for a while but has since returned and is currently racing a latemodel. Last time I saw it, it was sporting the same paint sceme as the sprinter.

Just a few that I could think of from my early days at SFCR.

DirtSurfer said:
Jimmy Riley Jr.-Blue Sprinter #77. Front wheels sky-high, tail-tank draggin the dirt and he ain't lifting......pretty car too.

Dave Feese-Tan and red #12 G&C Supply on the wing, often ran a front wing made of plexiglas(see-through). Fast as hell, came to Farmington when his kid needed lunch money. Blake is the kid's name, know him??

Jeff Haussman-Yellow #63 Nance sprinter. He was from somewhere in Texas. I don't remember him winning alot, but his car was different looking and I think that is why he stood out.

Bobby Hawks-#2s First sprintcar flip I ever saw. End-over-end down the front stretch and the whole car got higher than the fence. (Thinking back, he may have been driving the number 5 car at that time.)

Jeff Wiggs-#71 I thought his red, black and orange car was the best looking car there. He was married to Tommy Jr.'s sister. Seems like he broke his neck and was out of action for a while but has since returned and is currently racing a latemodel. Last time I saw it, it was sporting the same paint sceme as the sprinter.

Just a few that I could think of from my early days at SFCR.

I was gonna try to 1 up you on the who's who list from the early days but you named all the good ones. Dave Feese was untouchable at times, and Jim Riley was always a show stopper, But do you remember Brad Railmeyor (sp????) 13R This car always looked like it had homemade unpainted sheet metal on the hood, Then Bob Aton #61 Mostly pink car with white orange and blue stripes. Jerry Russel was there sometimes, And Rick"Am I signing my life away" Bender (dont ask for autographs here ladies and gentelmen) Rod's #29 was always slick no matter what color it was. Ron Milton's #8 always fast, Ron Sales #99 was sharp also! Terry Gray in the Lime green #3 was awesome, Then there was Burch in the orange & white #2 car. Remember when Jim Moughans car was blue & White??? Or when he ran that bad fast red & white car with the net graphic on the side if it????? Thermo in the #44, and Jim Bowdon in the solid red 29. BTW What ever happened to Greg Wooley #23 Outlaw?????
Those were the days!!!!!

I don't remember the spelling of Brad's last name either. I do remember the car, it was styled after the Kinser/Doty cars of that era. Raw aluminum material and built really boxy around the injector filters.

That 61 was ahead of it's time in paint/graphics, you just didn't see that stuff on many sprinters back then.

Were you with me when that guy was on the parking lot with the 28 car, trying to convince me that it was his car and wanting to sign an autograph? He was about a foot shorter than the real driver, and didn't know which pedal was which inside the car........

I saved Milton for your commentary.....he was good. Isn't he a promoter now at Jacksonville or somewhere in Il?

Terry Gray rocked and still does at a joint like SFCR. Of course, when Slammin' Sammy is your brother-in-law............

Rick who???? I left the #25 on the table for you too. I knew you would find enjoyment in discussing the ol' "signin' my life away" phrase!

Jimmy Moughan was and will always be my hero. If he had as much money in his car as there was talent he would have been a household name to outlaw fans throughout the country....and he is one hell of a nice guy on top of it. I don't think he knows how good he was/is in a sprintcar...

Who could forget Thurman. Especially if you were there when his dad was flagging the races. He got some awesome starts/restarts..... He was a great driver at home but I don't remember him doing too much with the outlaws. However, it was nice to turn on the "sports cavalcade" and see him someplace like the Devil's Bowl racing with them.

Greg Wooley finally figured out that he should stay at home(Oklahoma I believe) and race. I liked him and he was a cool guy and a decent driver, but he never set the world on fire....I think he is still racing.

Remember Randy Bateman? He was from Texas.

most of these guys from the 80's: Rod Holshouser yellow #22...Rick Pennel #14...Tony Robertson #51...Eddie Gallagher #88...Tom Corbin...Perry Tripp #4c...Gary Easton #88...Ricky Logan #17...Ken Schrader #38 (hopefully everyone knows where he went!lol)...Ron Schuman...Chuck Amati...Peanut Campbell #7c...Jim Berum #20...Dean Adams #3...Ted Adams #4...Tommy Burch #2...Shawn King #9...Rodney Redmond #95...David O'Donnely #91...Joe Reddick #12...Brad Reihlmeir #13...Dave Johnston #17J...Lee Dunn #81...Ricky Stenhouse...Steve Sidebottom...Terry Baker #T70...

Rick Pennel and Rod Redmond both also drove cars numbered #21.

Do you know where Perry Tripp went?

A few years ago, he was spotter for Bobby Hamilton Jr. and the Dr Pepper Busch Series car. Some of his old crew guys(from his ARCA days) went to Petty Enterprises and to the Sabates Teams when R. Gordon and Joe Nemechek where there.

Sidebottom was a good Sprintcar driver but got into alot of trouble. When he made his return to SFCR in the 90's, he raced with us in the hobby stock class. He had a quick car but it had a really wierd setup in it. The rear bumper would nearly drag the ground on the straights....

It was definately the good ole days when you would see Dean sr., Dean Jr. and Ted all on the track together.....

K Schrader....

Kenny also drove the Black #3 with ABC auto parts on the wing. Exactly like the car later driven by Dean Jr. It was owned by Ray Marler....

The black number 3 Schrader drove was Dean Jr's car. Schrader drove it some in 1984 and 1985.

Marler owned the 38 car that Schrader drove. The 38 car started life as number 14 with Tom Corbin the driver. It was 14 for the first year Schrader drove it also.

Here's a picture of Schrader driving Dean Jr's car.

I shot it at Florida State Fairgrounds Speedway in Tampa, FL in February of 1984.

The person handing him his helmet is Steve Bradley. He is the kid with Cystic-Fibrosis that always hung around Schrader. Sadly Steve died from the disease a few years ago. That's why Schrader's son's middle name is Bradley.

1141934499533_PIC00005.jpg

My mistake.

I have a trading card somewhere with Schrader and the #3 Sprinter. I think it listed Marler as the owner.....but I don't know for positive.

Did Marler own the #14/38 maybe?

What was Dean driving during that time? That was a few years before I started going.....

You know, as much as I loved the sprintcars-I miss the hell out of the "old" Modifieds.......K. Lachance, Danny Moser, Clark Pruneau, Buzz Jordan and etc. These cars were as individual as the drivers who wheeled them. That is why I love being a part of the Vintage racing group. We get to own, see and race against some of these old rides and occasionally their old drivers, too. I get to race against guys now who will be the ones that are getting talked about in another 20 years.......Wolfmeier, Dixon and etc.

Dean owned and drove the 3 car. Schrader just drove it in some World of Outlaws and other big money paying shows. Dean drove it every weekend at Farmington and Jacksonville. Same car. I worked on it, so I can tell you positive.

Marler owned the 38 but not the 3

opnwhlmnd said:
Dean owned and drove the 3 car. Schrader just drove it in some World of Outlaws and other big money paying shows. Dean drove it every weekend at Farmington and Jacksonville. Same car. I worked on it, so I can tell you positive.

Marler owned the 38 but not the 3

Ok class its been fun playin the name game from the early days, but remember we are showing our age here. This is by far not the early days of race drivers by any means. Now for your homework assignment we need to track down what really is up with some of the names we have listed. This original thread was called "Where have they gone"

#1 Jim Riley #77
#2 Bob Aton #61
#3 Jeff Hausman #63

Lets get started!!!

DirtSurfer said:
I have a trading card somewhere with Schrader and the #3 Sprinter. I think it listed Marler as the owner.....but I don't know for positive.

Did Marler own the #14/38 maybe?

What was Dean driving during that time? That was a few years before I started going.....

You know, as much as I loved the sprintcars-I miss the hell out of the "old" Modifieds.......K. Lachance, Danny Moser, Clark Pruneau, Buzz Jordan and etc. These cars were as individual as the drivers who wheeled them. That is why I love being a part of the Vintage racing group. We get to own, see and race against some of these old rides and occasionally their old drivers, too. I get to race against guys now who will be the ones that are getting talked about in another 20 years.......Wolfmeier, Dixon and etc.

You just had to go and open another can of worms didnt ya! By bringing up the old modifieds, This thread could go on for a while.
In my opinion that was some of the best racing that has ever taken place at SFCR. You never knew who was gonna win some of those races, 1st place changed hands a million times every feature.

DirtSurfer said:
I don't remember the spelling of Brad's last name either. I do remember the car, it was styled after the Kinser/Doty cars of that era. Raw aluminum material and built really boxy around the injector filters.

That 61 was ahead of it's time in paint/graphics, you just didn't see that stuff on many sprinters back then.

Were you with me when that guy was on the parking lot with the 28 car, trying to convince me that it was his car and wanting to sign an autograph? He was about a foot shorter than the real driver, and didn't know which pedal was which inside the car........

I saved Milton for your commentary.....he was good. Isn't he a promoter now at Jacksonville or somewhere in Il?

Terry Gray rocked and still does at a joint like SFCR. Of course, when Slammin' Sammy is your brother-in-law............

Rick who???? I left the #25 on the table for you too. I knew you would find enjoyment in discussing the ol' "signin' my life away" phrase!

Jimmy Moughan was and will always be my hero. If he had as much money in his car as there was talent he would have been a household name to outlaw fans throughout the country....and he is one hell of a nice guy on top of it. I don't think he knows how good he was/is in a sprintcar...

Who could forget Thurman. Especially if you were there when his dad was flagging the races. He got some awesome starts/restarts..... He was a great driver at home but I don't remember him doing too much with the outlaws. However, it was nice to turn on the "sports cavalcade" and see him someplace like the Devil's Bowl racing with them.

Greg Wooley finally figured out that he should stay at home(Oklahoma I believe) and race. I liked him and he was a cool guy and a decent driver, but he never set the world on fire....I think he is still racing.

Remember Randy Bateman? He was from Texas.

DirtSurfer,
I did some looking around for Greg Wooley, and I found an article that said he shared the rookie of the year title in 1984 with Mark Kinser. If this is true then he didnt get those kind of honors by accident! He must have been doing something right. I think you were a bit harsh on this guy! True he may never make a scab on Steve Kinser's ***** but he wasnt a pushover either.
This wont account for much but his car was awesome if I remember correctly and his T-Shirt that I just happen to still have, Was top of the line! The clothes dont make the man, but this guy was no fluke or Johnny Nobody at one time. Just wondered why he "vapored" like he did. My guess is the ever popular $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or lack there of!

Jerry Russell is making car and racing his son steven. He is turning 50 this weekend. Any one have any good racing storys from the good ole days.

Back