Wind Tunnel sunday night?

Did anybody watch Wind Tunnel on Speed sunday night, and catch the guy who called in from murphysboro, IL? I just thought that was pretty cool!

Yeah, nice to hear from locals!

What does everyone think about Dave's Sunday show compared to the past weeknight shows? It just doesn't feel the same. Still think they should've had a separate "stock car" hour.

Alicia

On one hand, I am quite pleased that the show continues to service all varieties of motorsports. When the move to Sundays was announced, I was concerned that the "powers that be" at Speed would turn it into another NASCAR only show. It is very important to remember that this is a caller-driven show, so it is very important to continue to call with our questions and comments on the dirt-trackin'.

On the other hand, I just can't get into the new weeknight alternative, NASCAR Nation. Being force-fed the corporate line has turned me off on most of what "Big Brother" has to offer. If they are truly a "NASCAR Nation", they need to cover it from all aspects, including the Modified tour and the Weekly Racing Series. When Speed first hit the airwaves, it was easy to find vintage sprint car and stock car racing, and racing from some of America's great short tracks. I remember several times watching the sprints from Williams Grove, followed by German Touring cars, followed by some other form of the sport.

I can understand, however, the difficulty in keeping the show going 5 nights a week. To keep it fresh, you need to be able to book a variety of guests from all disciplines of motorsports. The logistics of doing that had to drive the producers crazy. I should have known that they were hitting a mental block when one night late last season, the best they could come up with was some "drifter". I'm surprised they didn't book the "school bus figure 8" chamion in the same breath. And let's be honest, many of the lesser-known racers just don't perform well in front of the camera. So while I mourn the loss of the weeknight version of Wind Tunnel, I am pleased that we now have a 2 hour version of the show on Sundays that will hopefully be thorough in it's coverage, without over-doing any one particular genre.

Back