Women Drivers!!!!!!!!

Millsey

We are proud to welcome Sherri Oliver of Wright City to the RAMS association. Sherri will be racing with us at Montgomery County and at various other races this season. She is only the second female RAMS driver. She is driving a Toyoto Celica, the first in the history of the RAMS.

This brings me to my question.... How many women drivers do we have in our region??? I know Cassie Crockett, but who else??

Here's a photo of Sherri and her beautiful new car..

millsey... it is good to see that the RAMS group is finally got some 'eye candy'.hehehe maybe you can post a pic of the Arkansas Flash as well.:D

These females might not drive full size cars but what about
Amber Bayless(stock Karts) and Megan Bell(super stock karts).Both of these girls drive very hard in their classes.Amber finished 9th out of 18 in her first year.Megan finished 3rd in the super stock class.Both of these girls race at doe run

You forgot about Sharon Hoffman who drives a pro 4 stock at 55 .and jennifer hedkamp at belleville who drives a pure stock, also casey schaeffer who also drives a pure stock at belleville ,
plus a young lady at montgomery city who drives a sportsman but cant remember her name :D

there also is a very nice young lady named Trista Stevenson(?) (dad is bopper on this board) not sure on the last name. that shows the boys how to go fast at I-70 QMA in greenville.

Why aren't there more women drivers?? You would think there would be since this is once sport where they are actually equals with men..

Sara Hanner is my daughter and we are planning to return to racing this year. we'll probally race at Godfrey and Tri-city.

Millsey.......

There are loads of ladies in the area who race...........(these are just off the top of my head.......without doing much research.)

Cheri Seets is the daughter of Tom Seets and has run at Tri-City Speedway.

There was Lori Roach (I think I have that name correct). There was also a Sharon ????? from Bunker Hill, IL and both raced at Godfrey.

In the SCCA ranks you have 8 ladies who have won 37 NATIONAL Solo II titles........(the 4 guys who have won national titles, by the way......have only won 12)

1. Vicki Flier has 11 titles in 3 different classes winning one each year between 1985 and 1996 (with the exception of 1986). Her husband Ron has 8 titles to his credit as well.

2. Susan Anderson has 8 titles in 4 different classes and has run every year in the Solo II Runoffs since its inception in 1973 at Mid-America Raceway........there are probably less than 10 "100 percenters" as they are called who have run all 31 events.

3. Kim Bollinger likewise earned 8 titles in St. Louis and I don't know how many more she's won since she's moved. Her husband Steve has at least one title to his credit.

4. Jan (Whitworth) Rick, the current R.E. of St. Louis Region, has five titles in five different classes and holds the record for the all-time closest finish by the ladies, beating Kim Bollinger by 0.005 of a second in 1988 to win the D Prepared Ladies class.

NOTE: Jan has been invited to drive a stock car at Belle Clair this year. We'll keep you posted on when and what.

5. Toni Ward has two titles.

6., 7., and 8. Martha Lou Hadden, Cheryl Neighbors, and Tracy Whitworth each have a title.

Mary Daly, after the age of 40, won a Midwest Division GT1 road racing title in either a Corvette or a Camaro beating the guys. I believe there was also a gal out of Edwardsville that won a Midwest Division road racing title. There was another gal, also, I think from Edwardsville, who ran in a national sports car touring series.

You also have Pam Wick.........Ron's better-half. They both drive dwarf cars and they will also have two quarter-midgets in their racing stable for the kids this year. I've never heard a guy so thrilled to talk about her racing and how much fun they have racing together.

There have been quite a few quarter midget girls who have won local titles and one of the "Grands"........Dawn Stowers and Mallory Daum to name two.

Other area ladies of note......

Josephine Heutel was a promoter at Lake Hill. Helen Tapp was a promoter at Macon Speedway. Rose Spalding promoted at Godfrey Speedway. Carol Smotherman ran I-55. There are countless wives who help with the "officiating".

There was a young lady who won a college scholarship based on her performance at MAR a few season ago in drag racing...........sorry, I don't have her name.

Bessie L. Paoli of Springfield, IL owned a car at the Indy 500 and with Chuck Stevenson driving won the 1952 AAA National Championship based on wins in the Milwaukee 200 and at Du Quoin. Art Cross drove for her the second year and finished second at Indy. She thought she had sold the car, however the check bounced and they raced the car another year before Mari Hulman purchased it. Jimmy Bryant, Troy Ruttman, Al Keller, Ed Elisian, Tommy Hinner****z, Rex Easton, and Jake Peters all drove for her.

And by all means I'd be in trouble if I didn't mention the first lady mechanic at the Indy 500.........Wanda Knepper.....she can pop rivet, weld, and do fiberglass work.

As I always say.........the world's best racers race in and from St. Louis. Our local ladies are quite talented themselves.

Here in the KC area there is Blythe Deckman, the Super Truck champion at I-70. Jenny White, the World Cup 300 champ. Also Kim Wilson runs in the Dash Cars (4 Cly). MSCS Sprints has Jenny King. Tammy Kroff runs Street Stocks at Central Missouri Speedway.

Dwarfcar Girls

Tracy Renfrow(sp), Vince Conway's girlfriend, races the white #3 sedan when work schedule allows. She races at the Doe Run Raceway and with the Southern Missouri Dwarf Car Association.

I don't think she is currently racing, but Ron Wicks girlfriend--Pam Sheppard was also racing Dwarfcars.

Yes..there was a Lori Roach..married Wib Spaulding's boy..she ran a pink modified(and was fast)..he ran a sportsman. Sharon Rhoades ran in the street stock division..was fast..and 1 tough person in a race car..didnt take crap either. I beleive Sharon died of cancer..Lori and Spaulding's son divorced .

I think there are a pair of sister's that race 600cc Micro's around the St Louis area too. I've seen them at Pike County, B-Ville, and I think Tri-City. Maybe even down at SFCR once or twice. Just can't remember their names. Younger girls though.

Back