WoO LMs at I-55 Last Saturday

mike44

We all know the certain feeling one gets when anticipating a big dirt Super Late Model race. When you arrive at the racetrack there’s just something extra and special in the air. It’s that big race atmosphere and you come to know it and love it. No, this race wasn’t one of the Crown Jewels but as it turned out it was even better. Maybe not as much money to win or compete but the feature was second to none.

I’m talking about the World Of Outlaws Late Model special at I-55 in Pevely, Mo. Saturday night. What a combination! The fastest track around and many of the best late model pilots in the world! You just had the feeling that something great might happen.

The master of the track Billy Moyer was there and in his 3 previous visits to the highbanked 1/3 mile speed plant he took the checkered flag pretty much ahead of the field. Would he do it again for the 4th time? He’s had good competition at the previous races but this time the field would be really tough.

The World Of Outlaws Late Models. These guys and gals come to race and have their “A game” going 99% of the time. Darrell Lanigan and Kid Rocket are a few points apart for 1st place and there are only 3 races left after I-55. $100,000 awaits the winner of the tough series. And there are a host of other greats who can win at any track. Steve Francis set fast time for the evening as they qualified 2 at a time. While some fans don’t like qualifying I happen to really like it as you can hear what the driver is doing with the gas pedal for 2 laps each. I believe that it gives you a glimpse of what is to come in the feature, which is why we come.

After the heats and the last chance race for the Lates there was a short intermission and the track was reworked for the 55 lap feature. Rain was on the way and I-55 wisely chose to move the big race to first on the feature list. Soon we would be treated to a field that included all of the above mentioned shoes plus Tim McCreadie, Clint and Brady Smith, Jill George and April Farmer, Rick Eckert and Tim Fuller, Wendell Wallace and Shannon Babb, Chub Frank and Shane Clanton, Austin Hubbard and Jason Feger, Matt Miller and Bobby Pierce Jr, Kenny Schrader and Rickey Frankel............to say the least, the field was stacked with talent from front to back.

T-Mac jumped to an early lead from his 2nd starting spot as the green flag waved set a pace that, much to the delight of the fans in the jam packed stands, was bad fast with Lanigan and Moyer in tow. He would be overtaken by Lanigan on lap 15 and then along with Moyer would chase Lanigan. There was great racing throughout the pack as Moyer moved around Lanigan to lead the 26th circuit and Lanigan would take the lead back on lap 27. Three wide racing was the norm on the track, which would later be described by Babb as the best surface I-55 has had so far this year in the visits Babb’s had to the great facility. All 3 grooves were working and working well. Lanigan was leading when a caution came out on lap 29. It was all so fast that I couldn’t believe that 29 laps were already down.

The yellow flew again before the restart lap was complete as the speedster from Avon, New York spun on his own between 3 and 4. He would restart on the tail. As Lanigan took the green flag things would return to the blistering pace with Moyer looking high and low but not being able to pass for the lead.....and now Moyer had Babb, who seemed to have been shot out of a cannon, passed 5 cars in one lap, on his rear bumper looking to take 2nd place. He did just that the next lap and immediately set his sights on Lanigan. On lap 42 Babb and Moyer would ovetake Lanigan for 1st and 2nd place and the dogfight was on. Moyer slipped by Babb to lead lap 43 but Babb returned the favor on lap 44 and the crowd stood and cheered as they witnessed a battle that won’t soon be forgotten. Babb held on to win with Moyer taking 2nd and Brady Smith, who started 13th, ending up in 3rd. The something special that was anticipated had happened. Many said that this was either the best or the 2nd best Late Model feature they’d ever seen. It was great! There was not one dull moment the entire race, which lasted almost 24 minutes with the 3 cautions. It was, without a doubt, the best feature I’ve ever seen and I’m very glad that we made the trip to Pevely to witness such a great event! Hats off to I-55 and their track prep crew, the World Of Outlaws and all of the drivers and fans that made this night one I know I’ll never forget!

Join All That Dirt on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/All-That-Dirt/127275807325211?v=wall

Thank you Superduty89. I'm still amazed at what a great race we all witnessed. Just unbelievable.

Back