World of Outlaws Mourns Passing Of Pittsburgh ’s Pennsylvania Motor Speedway Promoter Red Miley

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
CONCORD, NC – May 4, 2007 – The World of Outlaws and its staff mourn the passing of Red Miley, the longtime operator of Pittsburgh’s Pennsylvania Motor Speedway and promoter of World of Outlaws Late Model Series events at the half-mile oval.

Miley, 53, died on Thursday following a courageous battle with cancer.

"There are all kinds of racing promoters, and Red Miley certainly was one who put his heart into everything he did," said Tom Deery, World Racing Group President and CEO. "Red understood racing needed to be an event, and he went the extra mile to make sure fans of all ages had a good time at his racetracks. He was incredibly accessible and always had time for the fans, the drivers and the media.

“Red was incredibly insightful and had a clear vision where the sport needed to go and was never afraid to step up and be the leader. He was an example of how to do it the right way."

A fixture on the western Pennsylvania racing scene, Miley began his involvement in the sport in 1969 when he purchased a race car and effectively launched Miley Motorsports. As car owner, Red was designated the president of Miley Motorsports, while his 18-year-old brother Ben was named the driver and 17-year-old sibling Jerry became crew chief.

Miley Motorsports eventually grew to include younger siblings Matt and Ty, and the team went on to compete at virtually every area track. A Miley Motorsports dirt Late Model is still visible in action to this day.

Red brought Miley Motorsports into the racetrack operation game in 1988, leasing PPMS. The November 2001 purchase of the paved Motordrome Speedway in Imperial, Pa. , added to the group’s portfolio, and in 2004 the group bought PPMS after its lease expired.

When the World of Outlaws Late Model Series was re-launched by the World Racing Group for the 2004 season, Red brought immediate prestige to the tour by making PPMS’s huge Pittsburgher 100 a sanctioned event. The Pittsburgher 100 was also part of the WoO LMS in 2006, and the WoO LMS will be competing at PPMS again in 2007.

“I grew up alongside the entire Miley family and can’t count how many nights I watched my father and brother race at either PPMS or Motordrome," said Ben Geisler, World Racing Group Executive VP of Operations. “Red always made you feel like a part of that family. He touched a lot of people through the years and helped shape the face of racing in western Pennsylvania for years to come.”

As per Miley’s request, racing was to go on at Motordrome on May 4 and May 5.

"Red Miley and his family have been key parts of the racing scene in Western Pennsylvania for five decades," said Chris Dolack, World Racing Group VP of Public Relations who used to cover motorsports for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I always knew when I went to talk with Red that he was going to be optimistic and forward looking, even if I wrote something he didn't particularly agree with. He was a great family man in a family that has been leaders in the Pittsburgh racing community. He will no doubt be missed by all."

Miley is survived by his wife, Ruth, and three small daughters.

Arrangements are still being finalized, but the funeral will be on Tues., May 8, at the Hershberger-Stover Funeral Home in Crafton , Pa. , with visitation on Sunday and Monday.

Back