World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series: “pit Notes”

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Bret Emrick
Friday, May 20, 2005 – Brushcreek Motorsports Complex – Peebles,OH

The “Barry Chevrolet 50” was a soggy affair to say the least. Nearly 3” of rain fell over the southern Ohio high-banked 3/8ths mile tri-oval during the late afternoon Thursday, May 19th and continued through the overnight hours. When race day arrived there was some question is the event would go as scheduled as not. Owner/promoter Tom Partin and crew worked hard to save the racing surface for the first ever appearance by World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series “Dirty Dozen” to Brushcreek Motorsports Complex. The efforts at saving the track surface did work giving the race teams a very, very fast track. The pit area was another story. A bulldozer had to be used to scrap the wet ground and mud from the grass covered pit area to allow the race car haulers to enter the pit area. Even then some of the haulers required a tow from the bulldozer to reach a parking area. The slow process of getting the haulers into the pit area and continued work on the racing surface pushed back the start of activities by nearly two hours.

NOTES:

A massive crowd enjoyed the fast paced action as all the World of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series events were held before any support divisions took to the speedway. How was fast was Brushcreek Motorsports Park, also known as “Wicked Fast”? Clint Smith obliterated the sing-lap track record during time trials with a lap at 13.344 seconds averaging nearly 110mph around the unique tri-oval.

Not only is Brushcreek Motorsports Complex “wicked fast” but its also a killer on machinery. Defending World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series champion Scott Bloomquist hurt an engine during his heat race and then lost another powerplant on lap 12 of the “Barry Chevrolet 50”. After setting quick time and earning his heat race win, Smith also lost an engine on lap 12 sending a connecting rod through the oil pan. The resulting hole in the oil pan was big enough to easily accommodate a grown mans fist. Only 12 of the original 24 starters were around at the end of the event. The majority of the DNF’s were the result of a myriad of mechanical problems suffered in the race.

Race winner Dale McDowell made a young fan at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex very, very happy. After the celebrations were done in YJ Stinger® Victory Lane, “Mac Daddy” walked up to the frontchute fencing and gave his race winner trophy to a young boy. The smile on the young boys face probably still hasn’t come off. When asked how he picked that young boy McDowell said, “I just picked him out. I like doing that. That made that boys night getting that trophy from me and that’s what its all about. We have to get the kids more involved. If me giving him that trophy means he’ll want to come back and watch us race or even just go for a local show then its worth it. Just to see that kid light up like that its still worth it.”

Scoring was an issue after the event at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex adding to what had already been a long and trying day for officials and race teams alike. The World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series utilizes the AMB i.t. scoring system at its events. Brushcreek Motorsports Complex utilizes a transponder scoring system as well but it is not the AMB i.t. scoring system. Unfortunately, Brushcreek Motorsports Complex officials were unable to install the AMB i.t. scoring loop prior to the event forcing the use of the speedways transponder scoring system which was operated by speedway personnel.

After the event, a review of the scoring was conducted by World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series officials resulting in revisions to the original finishing order. Officials found errors in the finishing order placement of Billy Moyer, Darrell Lanigan, John Blankenship and Mike Balzano. Lanigan was scored ahead of Moyer and Blankenship was scored one lap down and behind Balzano at the end of the 50 lap event. After reviewing the scoring it was determined that Moyer finished ahead of Lanigan (which Lanigan verbally confirmed) and Blankenship was ahead of Balzano and on the lead lap at the finish of the event.

Finishing Order: 5/20/05 Brushcreek Motorsports Complex – Peebles,OH 50 Lap Feature - $10,000 To Win

1) Dale McDowell; 2) Tim McCreadie; 3) Steve Francis; 4) Rick Eckert; 5) Ricky Elliott; 6) Josh Richards; 7) Chub Frank; 8) Billy Moyer; 9) Darell Lanigan; 10) John Blankenship; 11) Mike Balzano; 12) Rod Conley; 13) Barry Bragdon; 14) R.J. Conley; 15) Chuck Harper; 16) Davey Johnson; 17) Ryan Markham; 18) Ben Adkins; 19) Clint Smith; 20) Scott Bloomquist; 21) Dan Schlieper; 22) Delmas Conley; 23) John Whitney; 24) Doug Drown – Fast Qualifier: Smith 13.344 secs. (New Track Record); Heat Race Winners: Smith, Lanigan, McDowell, Frank; “B” Main Winners: Moyer, Francis; Dash Winner: Frank

Saturday, May 21, 2005 – Tri-State Speedway – Haubstadt,IN

The second ever appearance of the World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series at Tri-State Speedway found the majority of the “Dirty Dozen” race teams driving all night to Tom and Lois Helfrich’s high-banked ¼ mile speedplant. The outside parking area leading to the pit area was a virtual “open” garage area for motorists traveling U.S. Route 41 which runs right beside the speedway. With race cars unloaded and work going on to prepare the race cars for that nights $10,000 to win “Armed Forces Day 60”, motorists were able to get a first hand look at preparing the 800hp machines.

Operated by National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee Tom Helfrich and his wife Lois and family, the spirit of the patriach of Tri-State Speedway was evident throughout the immaculate facility. Ed Helfrich, the man who made Tri-State Speedway and passed away Dec. 29, 2004, was not forgotten as several photos and placards were in evidence throughout the facility.

Being a farmer means you know the ground. Being a farmer and a racer means you really know the ground. Tom Helfrich is the latter and his preparation of a dirt racing surface is second to none. The ¼ mile speedplant was racy from hot laps to the finish of the feature providing three distinct racing grooves all through the program. His secret? A lot of work. Helfrich and his track crew work the surface throughout the week and continue to work it right through the racing program. Some down time? Helfrich and crew chew up the top layer of the surface, lightly water it and quickly pack it back in using a farm tractor and homemade pack trucks that also serve as tow trucks and fire and rescue. All of that is done in less than 10 minutes. One other secret. It helps if you have some of the best clay around and it has organic material in it. The organic material? Wood chips.

NOTES

Defending World of Outlaws Stacker 2 Late Model Series champion Scott Bloomquist was a no-show at Tri-State Speedway. Bloomquist lost two engines the night before at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex, returned to his Mooresburg,TN shop for a new powerplant and then suffered unspecified mechanical problems on his way to Tri-State Speedway. Bloomquist phoned Tri-State Speedway mid-afternoon expressing his apologies he would not be able to make it.

Four “Dirty Dozen” crew members got some seat time as they drove the back-up cars for their respective race teams. Shane McDowell (crew chief for Dale McDowell), Steve Owens Jr. (crew member for John Blankenship), Jeremy Wilson (crew chief for Clint Smith) and Rich Golembiewski (crew chief for Dan Schlieper) all competed in the “Armed Services Day 60”.

The large crowd on hand came to their feet during the third qualifying heat race. Billy Moyer slipped between turn three and four heading for the white flag allowing Steve Casebolt to shoot by for the lead. Running second in the second qualifying heat race, Steve Francis pounded the turn three wall while running second but was able to keep the car under control finishing second. Francis missed the Pole Dash as he made repairs to his car.

Kids were also the attention of several of the “Dirty Dozen” race teams at Tri-State Speedway. Once the racing action had been concluded and the race cars parked at their pit areas, the pit gates were opened to allow the fans to meet the drivers and teams. Dozens of youngsters, with their parents and older siblings, descended on the “Dirty Dozen” for autographs, photos and shyly ask if they could sit in the race car. All the teams were more than willing to accommodate the youngsters. Crew members and drivers alike spent the better part of 30 minutes lifting in and lifting out excited kids from the race cars. It was hard to tell who had more fun. The kids or the race teams.

Finishing Order: 5/21/05 Tri-State Speedway – Haubstadt,IN 60 Lap Feature - $10,000 To Win

1) Billy Moyer; 2) Chub Frank; 3) Rick Eckert; 4) Darrell Lanigan; 5) Dale McDowell; 6) Clint Smith; 7) Steve Casebolt; 8) Tim McCreadie; 9) Dan Schlieper; 10) Steve Francis; 11) Josh Richards; 12) Rodney Melvin; 13) John Blankenship; 14) Steve Karnes; 15) Joe Morris; 16) Steve Owens Jr.; 17) Shane McDowell; 18) Jeremy Wilson; 19) Jeff Glisson; 20) Brian Shaw; 21) Vinny Guliani; 22) Rich Golembiewski – Fast Qualifier: Schlieper 13.328 secs.; Heat Race Winners: Schlieper, Frank, Casebolt; Dash Winner: Moyer

TELEVISION
The cameras of SPEED Channel captured all the side-by-side, fast paced action of the $10,000 to win “Armed Forces Day 60” at the high-banked ¼ mile speedway. The tape-delayed broadcast will air July 9th at 4:00p.m. EDT.

QUOTABLE

Billy Moyer, driver of the No. 21 J&J Steel/Banner Valley Hauling/McCarthy’s One Hour Cooling And Heating C.J. Rayburn Race Cars/Pro Power Racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo

On his thoughts of Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “Well, one of a kind I guess. Put it that way. Road course on dirt but I guess it don’t have no right hand corners in it but it’s got a whole bunch of left hand corners in it. Its fun to run on but it’s fast. I’ve never been to a place where you run it like a sprint car where you mash the gas when the green flag comes out and don’t lift until the checkered flag comes out. It’s kinda’ different.”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “The car was pretty good. I was set up to run a momentum deal in the middle of the race track and that cushion was there coming off of two that helped ya’ get against it. There was nothing off of four. Both corners were different to where it sorta made ya’ to have search around.”

Rick Eckert, driver of the No. 24 Raye Vest Excavating/J&J Steel Rocket Chassis/Cornett Racing Engines Ford Taurus
On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “We haven’t been able to win one yet but we’ve been pretty close. We had a really good car tonight. On the one restart we got boxed in there and lost a couple spots. It took us until about one to go there when Darrell and Dale started dicing it up in traffic and we got back by them and finished third. The car was pretty good. It really was. I wish we coulda started a little bit closer to the front cause I think we had a shot at ‘em.”

Darrell Lanigan, driver of the No. 29 Gotta Race/Afco Racing Products Rocket Chassis/Cornett Racing Engines Ford Taurus
On his thoughts of racing at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “It was the first time I’ve ever been there. It was pretty much what everybody told me. Wide open, nine corners and never lift to the checkers. It was a pretty interesting place. It’s good to go there once a year.”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “It was a pretty good track. You could pass out there. The top had a little bit of momentum to it and it was hard to pass on the bottom. We hung in there and come out with a fourth so it wasn’t too bad. We kinda set our car up to run the bottom. That’s pretty much where we had to stay. We figured if you were going to pass the top was gonna be a freight train so we set our car up to run the bottom.”

Chub Frank, driver of the No. 1* Lester Buildings/All Star Performance/Corry Rubber Rocket Chassis/Custom Race Engines Chevrolet Monte Carlo

On his race at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “We just missed on tires for our car. Our set up was a little tighter than everybody else and the right front tire gave up on us and we just backed up.”

On his thoughts of Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “Actually the place was faster last night than it was when we were there before. I think it may have been a little more racy the last time to where you could pass on it. You could still pass last night but, boy, it was sure wide open for the most part. You really had to have your car dialed in. We were dialed in all night until the feature when it counts. We just missed on tire and it hurt us.”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “I wanted to go to the bottom and I did to get Casebolt for second but I just didn’t tighten the car up enough. I could roll around the middle and not real good against the cushion for awhile. Then them guys started to roll up underneath me, I could see ‘em, and I decided I better get back up on the cushion. I couldn’t catch Billy. I tried. I tried different lines but his car really never faltered up against the cushion. I’d like to have seen that cushion blow right off. I guarantee there’s a lot of guys that wished that would’ve happened.”

Tim McCreadie, driver of the No. 39 Sweetners Plus/A & C Speedworld,Inc. Rocket Chassis/C.C. Performance Engines Chevrolet Monte Carlo

On racing at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “We go to a lot of places that claim ‘The Fastest Half-Mile In The Country’ or ‘Fastest High-Banked 3/8ths Mile In The World’. Here they wrote ‘Wicked Fast’ on the wall. They got that one right. They definitely got that one right!”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “I think we came home seventh (actually eighth). Abysmal. We unloaded horrible and raced horrible in the heat and unfortunately from probably lap 30 on the car was amazing. We just started so far back. Stop watch wise we were real good. It would’ve been nice to maybe get a yellow to tighten things up. We just fired so bad early it put us so far behind. It was hard to get by them guys early and in the end. If we say our bad runs are seventh it‘ll be a good year.”

Clint Smith, driver of the No. 44 JP Drilling/Oval Craft GRT Race Cars/Racetek Racing Engines Chevrolet Monte Carlo

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “It was a good run tonight after what happened last night when we broke the engine. We came out tonight with a smaller piece. It was the only thing we had left really. We had a little trouble early when you could use a lot of motor but the track came around to us. We got going on the outside pretty good late and chunked the right rear tire with about ten to go which hurt me toward the end. If not for that we might have had a top five finish. We’ll take a top six and get on out of here.”

Dale McDowell, driver of the No. 17M Larry Shaw Race Cars/J&J Steel Rocket-Shaw Chassis/RaceTek Racing Engines Pontiac Grand Prix
On racing at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “This race track, the configuration is really challenging for a driver. Thank God for my head rest! My head was leanin over and my knees were touching. I liked seeing those cautions. I was out of breath a little bit. This place is different than any place I’ve ever been and its so challenging. That’s what makes it so much more special to win up here.”

On his thoughts of Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “It’s definitely different! The configuration of it is something I’ve never experienced before. I think it was the first time in my career, and some of the other guys as well, where we actually ran wide open the entire heat race and never let off the floor. But, it was racy. There were guys who started way back that come up and I was able to manuever through lapped traffic ok. It was a real test for everybody maintenance program as well as the engine builders because the track with the weather conditions like they were made the track really, really fast. It was different.”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “I think I should’ve started a little farther up. My car was really good but the traffic was really, really thick there and with Chub, Darrell and myself all racing for second. Billy got out there to about four or five car lengths but in the open we had a better race car and turned some better times than the leader. I just needed to start better and maybe we coulda done what we did here last year late in the race. But that’s all part of it. Top five finish with this group and a win last night, I’m happy.”

Josh “Kid Rocket” Richards, driver of the No. 1 Seubert Calf Ranches/A-C-E Metal Works Rocket Chassis/Cornett Racing Engines Chevrolet Monte Carlo
On his race at Brushcreek Motor Speedway: “That place is unbelievably fast. Its crazy! I qualified real well, finished second in my heat race and started seventh in the feature. I got bumped around a little bit and got back up through there to sixth where we finished. I’m happy with that.”

On racing at Tri-State Speedway: “The track was awesome. It’s a fun track to race on. We just went way too soft on tires. The set up we had if we would’ve changed it we probably would’ve been a lot better. But, having the tires on we did really hurt us a lot.”

Steve Francis, driver of the No. 15 MOPAR Performance Parts/Valvoline Rocket Chassis/Gary Stanton Racing Engines Dodge Intrepid R/T

On racing at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “You know, I’d like to come back. It’s a neat place. Maybe, you know, the weather hurt him today I’m sure but for what they did after getting three inches of rain here you still had a racy race track. I mean, I started 18th and got out of here in the top three so you can’t complain about that.”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “We got into the wall during the heat race. Just misjudged that corner a little bit and she pushed and caught the wall with the rear clip. It knocked back over probably about eight inches. Really it about totaled the car and we shoulda just unloaded the back-up car. But, we were starting up there near the front and thought we could get straightened up enough to run. It just wasn’t any good to run after that.”

Dan Schlieper, driver of the No. 9 Miller Bros. Coal/Hawkeye Trucking C.J. Rayburn Race Cars/Pro Power Racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo

On his problems at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “We brought out the primary car and broke a rocker arm. We didn’t have enough time to change it so we brought out the secondary car. The air was a little bit different so we ended up changing the carburetor and it cleaned it up. Then, in the feature we ended up popping a hole in the radiator. There wasn’t much we could do about it.”

On his thoughts of Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “It’s really hard to give any thoughts of the place. You kinda get lost when your racin out there and its wide open. I don’t know how many corners there are. Probably seven to nine depending on how you look at it. Its a unique track but it’s a different place. For some people its good and for others its not.”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “I just picked a little too soft on tires. Them guys went with a little bit harder stuff. I was good for about twenty laps and then after that I was just holding on and doing the best I could.”

John Blankenship, driver of the Busch Beer/Walker CAT Rocket Chassis/Custom Racing Engines Chevrolet Monte Carlo
On his thoughts of racing at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex: “I liked it a lot. It’s just hard to pass because your wide open the whole way around, You never had to lift. It was a good place to drive around but not much to race around. It’s hard on engines and hard on equipment but overall I enjoyed it.”

On his race at Tri-State Speedway: “We just didn’t make enough changes for the feature. The car was just too free and we didn’t have the right tire either. But, I like this place. It’s racy.”

UPCOMING EVENTS
After a one-week break from the schedule, The World of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series fires back up with four events in four states in a six day period. The “Dirty Dozen” race teams travel to Farley Speedway in Farley,IA Wednesday, June 1st for the “Farley 50”, Eagle Raceway in Lincoln (Eagle),NE Friday, June 3rd for the “High Bank Heist 60”, Dakota State Fair Speedway in Huron,SD Saturday, June 4th for the “Challenge Cup 50” and then to Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley,MN for the “26th Annual Gopher 50”. All four events pay the winner $10,000.

The “Dirty Dozen”
The 2005 edition of the World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series “Dirty Dozen”, who have committed to all events, includes defending World Of Outlaws Late Model Series champion Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg,TN (No. 0 owned by Bloomquist Racing), current championship point leader Billy Moyer of Batesville,AR (No. 21 owned by Billy Moyer Racing), Steve Francis of Ashland,KY (No. 15 owned by Francis Motorsports,Inc.), Rick Eckert of York,PA (No. 24 owned by Raye Vest), Dale McDowell of Chickamauga,GA (No. 17M owned by McDowell Racing), Chub Frank of Bear Lake,PA (No. 1* owned by Chub Frank Racing), Darrell Lanigan of Union,KY (No. 29 owned by Lanigan Racing), Dan Schlieper of Sullivan,WI (No. 9 owned by Dan Schlieper Racing), Clint Smith of Senoia,GA (No. 44 owned by Jerry Passmore), 2004 World Of Outlaws “Rookie of the Year” Tim McCreadie of Watertown,NY (No. 39 owned by A&C Speedworld,Inc.), Shane Clanton of Locust Grove,GA (No. 25 owned by RSD Enterprises,Inc.) and John Blankenship of Williamson,WV (No. 23 owned by Number 23,Inc.).

Also Appearing
Committing to running the bulk of the schedule with the World of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series in 2005 with hopes of earning a spot in a future “Dirty Dozen” as well as gunning for the 2005 World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® “Rookie of the Year” honors is teen sensation Josh “Kid Rocket” Richards of Shinnston,WV. Richards burst onto the WoO LM scene at the tender age of 16 during the 2004 season and quickly showed all that he would be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years driving the No. 1 owned by Mark Richards Racing,Inc.

2005 Season Winners
February 17th at Volusia Speedway Park in Barberville,FL: Billy Moyer - Batesville,AR

February 19th at Volusia Speedway Park in Barberville,FL: Tim McCreadie - Watertown,NY

April 8th at “The Rock”/Allegany County Speedway in Cumberland,MD: Steve Francis - Ashland,KY

April 9th at Bill Sawyer’s Virginia Motor Speedway in Saluda,VA: Clint Smith - Senoia,GA

April 29th at Lernerville Speedway in Sarver,PA: Billy Moyer – Batesville,AR

April 30th at Hagerstown Speedway in Hagerstown,MD: Rain Out

May 13th at Limaland Motorsports Park in Lima,OH: Power Outage

May 14th at Butler Battlegrounds in Butler,MI: Clint Smith

May 20th at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex in Peebles,IN: Dale McDowell

May 21st at Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt,IN: Billy Moyer

Tune Into The Web
Fans can experience the excitement of the World Of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series events live on Dirtvision.com through the DIRT Radio Network broadcasts. And, cybercast video of select World of Outlaws Stacker 2® Late Model Series events will be broadcast through Dirtvision.com.

The June 4th “Challenge Cup 50” at Dakota State Fair Speedway will be a Dirtvision.com video cybercast airing Thursday, June 9th at 8:00p.m. EDT.

To find the video broadcast schedule or listen to the audio broadcast, log on to www.dirtvision.com and click on the DIRT Radio Network logo. Listeners will need Windows Media Player 9 or higher to listen and view the DIRT Radio Network. Companies who are interested in advertising on the new DIRT Radio Network should contact Mark Noble, DIRT Motorsports VP Sales and Marketing, at 719-884-2141. For technical support or questions, e-mail webmaster@dirtvision.com.

Hear It Firsthand
RACEceiver is the Official Driver Communicator of DIRT Motorsports. A compact radio receiver that conveniently fits into a driver’s pocket, a RACEceiver allows each driver to hear directions from series officials, which greatly enhances the safety and timeliness of events. A similar version available to fans will allow RACEceiver users to hear what information series officials are relaying to the drivers. For more information about RACEceiver, visit www.raceceiver.com, call 866-301-7223 or look for their sales trailers at various events.

Back