Zaiontz races to 20th career www.rockauto.com USCS 600 win at TN National Raceway

pwaltonuscs

pwaltonuscs
Zaiontz races to 20th career www.rockauto.com USCS 600 win at TN National Raceway

HOHENWALD, Tenn. - September 13, 2014 - Saturday night at Tennessee National Raceway, Bobby Zaiontz (Bobby Z) received a champion’s welcome back to www.rockauto.com Victory Lane. Zaiontz, the two-time www.rockauto.com USCS 600 Sprint Series champion and the series’ all-time winningest driver, powered past K&N Filters pole-sitter Mike Magic on lap 4 of the www.rockauto.com USCS 600 Sprint Car Series 20-lap A-main during the 2nd annual Tennessee Fall Nationals and never looked back, driving un-challenged to his record-extending and milestone 20th career USCS mini-sprint triumph in a brand-new jet-black chassis.

“I didn’t think I had a chance at it, starting that far back,” Zaiontz said after celebrating in front of the fans. “We made some last-minute changes to the car; they were lining up and we changed the gears out and it turned out to be the right call. I can’t say enough, this is the third night out in this new car, the “Black Widow”, and we’ve got three wins. According to my math, that’s batting a thousand,” the champion grinned.

The event was slowed by four caution flags, including two on the opening lap for spins in turn 2 and turn 4, respectively. Rece Wommack’s spectacular engine failure on lap 5 drew the race’s third caution, but it was the final caution that changed both the course of the race and the season-long championship.

Sean Hosey, the defending series champion and current points leader, clipped one of the apron tires coming off of turn 4 on lap 11 and broke the steering column in his No. 6 Stallard machine. When the car did not turn at the entrance to turn 1, Hosey shot up into the outside wall and flipped up on top of the wall before coming to rest on his wheels. In a testament to the safety of the race cars, Hosey climbed out uninjured and under his own power.

“All I remember was it being really dark and a lot of head-banging going on,” Hosey described after climbing out of his car. “It’s not been a lack of speed this season, it’s just been an issue on my part because I’ve had to come from the back so many times this year but it’s really been a lot of dumb luck lately.

After surveying the damage, Hosey was unsure if his team would be ready in time to continue their championship defense in Georgia next time out. “It’s a hope we’ll be at Senoia next week, but this could be the end of my season,” Hosey admitted. “If it is, it’s been a fun ride.”

When the race went back green, the field had one more shot to catch the wily veteran, but young gun Hayden Martin had nothing for Zaiontz and saw his charge fall short when his No. 67 machine lost fuel pressure with three laps to go. Martin was credited with ninth in the final rundown.

Winder, Georgia’s Mike Magic ultimately chased Zaiontz home in the runner-up position, with Baldwin, Mississippi’s Kyle Carpenter finishing third in a banner night for the low-budget team. Bob Trapino, the Alpharetta, Georgia driver who was caught up in one of the opening lap spins, rallied back to finish fourth and Corinth, Mississippi driver Darl Parvin rounded out the top five.

Leading rookie of the Year contender Bo Barber, from Clarksville, Tennessee, rallied from starting last for a sixth place finish and Ten Mile, Tennessee’s Tommy Thompson came home in seventh. Another home state driver, Michael Barton from Castalian Springs, was the final car running in the eighth position.

Mike Magic kicked off the night’s action by grabbing the win in the Hoosier Tire Speed Dash, and Hosey took the win in the Engler Machine and Tool First Heat. Magic notched the win in the www.rockauto.com Second Heat. Magic was the provisional pole-sitter after scoring the most passing points in heat race action, and when a zero came up in the K&N Inversion Draw, he grabbed the K&N Filters Pole Position. Bo Barber advanced the most positions in the main event (eight) to garner the Wilwood Disc Brakes Hard Charger Award.

The www.rockauto.com USCS 600 Sprint Car Series season is scheduled to continue Friday, September 19th with the running of the 5th annual Senoia Summer Nationals at New Senoia Raceway in Senoia, Georgia.

For rules and updated schedule information about the www.rockauto.com USCS 600 Sprint Car series please visit www.uscsracing.com or call the series office at 770-460-7223 or 770-865-6097.
RESULTS:
www.rockauto.com USCS 600 Sprint Car Series @ Tennessee National Raceway; September 13, 2014.
Hoosier Tire Speed Dash: Mike Magic, Bob Trapino, Jordan Latham, Bo Barber, Michael Barton, Brandon Taylor.

Engler Machine and Tool First Heat: Sean Hosey, Bobby Zaiontz, Hayden Martin, Darl Parvin, Tommy Thompson, Rece Wommack, Brandon Taylor (DNS).

www.rockauto.com Second Heat: Mike Magic, Bob Trapino, Kyle Carpenter, Jason Johnson, Jordan Latham, Michael Barton, Bo Barber (DNS).

www.rockauto.com USCS 600 Sprint A-Main 20 laps: 1. #1 – Bobby Zaiontz, Columbus, MS 2. #5M – Mike Magic, Winder, GA 3. #13 – Kyle Carpenter, Baldwin, MS 4. #98 – Bob Trapino, Alpharetta, GA 5. #D14 – Darl Parvin, Corinth, MS 6. #14 – Bo Barber, Clarksville, TN 7. #3T – Tommy Thompson, Ten Mile, TN 8. #21 – Michael Barton, Castalian Springs, TN 9. #67 – Hayden Martin, Olive Branch, MS 10. #6 – Sean Hosey, Clarksville, TN 11. #33 – Rece Wommack, Westphal, MS 12. #51 – Jordan Latham, Sharon Grove, KY 13. #5J – Jason Johnson, Elkton, KY 14. #07 – Brandon Taylor, Cumming, GA

USCS 600 Sprint Race Awards:
Hoosier Tire Speed Dash: #5M – Mike Magic
Engler Machine and Tool First Heat: #6 – Sean Hosey
www.rockauto.com Second Heat: #5M – Mike Magic
K&N Filters Pole Award: #5M – Mike Magic
K&N Filters Podium (3rd place) Award: #13 – Kyle Carpenter
Wilwood Disc Brakes Hard Charger Award: #14 – Bo Barber
Keizer Aluminum Wheels Top Five Award: #D14 – Darl Parvin
Saldana Racing Products Super Sixth Award: #14 – Bo Barber
DMI/Bulldog Rear Ends Top Ten Award: #6 – Sean Hosey

Story By:
Jacob Seelman