1182 gm crank

jmg97

John Goodson
i have a crank that is .20 on rods and .30 on mains it could use some nore cutting this year is it safe to go .30 on rods and .40 on mains ....when is it to much?thanks in advance for any replys

Is the 1182 gm crank a stock crank? If so go to autozone and buy there crank kit. They sell them for about $85.00 and that comes with rod and main bearings, and the crank is a .010-0.10. I have bought many of them for street motors and race motors and they are great for the price. Hope this helps.

Tom

It costs that much just to have a crank turned at a machine shop.

Yea..thats true. 30 under would be alot in my opinion for a race engine..best to turn it in for a core..get a crank kit..those are good.

1182 crank

john 030 is to much do not run it use it for a back up maybe an if it is a 1182 gm steel dont use it for a core them things are bout 700 new cause i baught one an still use it today ......them are really good cranks but not turned that far down . if u want more info call me 314-229-0719 sam

thanks guys, it definately is the 1182 forged crank the good one .....thats why i wanted to try and use it again oh well i guess ill get new scat or eagle see yall in the spring

2 problems when you have a crank that far undersize...number 1.. gm cranks have a surface hardness procedure built into them as part of the manufacture process.this means that the bearing journal surfaces are harder than all of the other surfaces that are not bearing journal surfaces. the more undersize you make these cranks, the greater danger of breaking thru this hardness area. number 2, the bearings themselves get thicker to accomodate the smaller journal o.d., making them less able to handle hi stress, hi rpm conditions. art.

Back