18th Annual DART Show Me 100 Begins New Era This Weekend

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
West Plains, Missouri (5/25/10) –This Thursday-Saturday, May 27th-29th, history will be made as the 18th Annual DART Show Me 100 begins a new era of the event’s illustrious history at the state-of-the-art, Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Missouri.

For the first 17 years the DART Show Me 100 called West Plains Motor Speedway home, but at the end of the 2009 season, when it became apparent that the Gibsons were moving toward retirement, it was announced that the event would be moved to Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Missouri. With the move, a new era begins for the event at a facility where opportunities and possibilities abound. For the 2010 event, Don and Billie Gibson will serve as the Grand Marshalls, and long-time DART Show Me 100 fans will recognize many familiar sights that will include everything from the traditional DART Show Me 100 trophy girls down to the one and only event mascot, Gus the Cool Mule.

Looking at the list of former champions of the event, there is no denying that it is truly a “Who’s Who” of Super Late Model racing. Previous champions of the mega-event include defending champion, Brian Birkhofer, Scott Bloomquist, Billy Moyer, Freddy Smith, Terry Phillips, Wendell Wallace, Rick Auckland, and Ray Cook.

Many of the previous champion’s are expected for this year’s addition of the event, which for the second consecutive year will be sanctioned by the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series (LOLMDS) and will also welcome the co-sanction of the Lucas Oil Midwest Late Model Racing Association (MLRA).

Leading the competitor’s into battle will be the only five-time, DART Show Me 100 Champion, Scott Bloomquist, who is the defending LOLMDS Champion and currently resides atop the point’s standings for the tour heading into this weekend’s festivities. A strong contingent of drivers from across the nation is expected to converge on the Lucas Oil Speedway to take a shot at the $30,000 to win/$2,000 to start purse.

The format for the 18th Annual DART Show Me 100 will get underway on Thursday, May 27th with the traditional practice night event that will include test and tune time from 7pm to 9:30pm. The popular BBQ Dinner with the drivers and crews will follow. The dinner is free to everyone with a pit pass and grandstand spectators are welcome to join for a modest $10.00 ticket fee.

Friday night will feature time trials and six heat races for the Super Late Models. Red Buck Cigars has posted a $250 cash prize for the fastest qualifier, and Weld Wheels has also posted two free wheels to the fastest driver on the clock. The top three finishers in each heat race will move on to Saturday night’s main event. The balance of the field in each of the heats will move on to the Super Late Model consolation events on Saturday night. The COMP Cams Race of Champions Presented By Quartermaster will be held as well, where all previous winners of the event are eligible to battle for a $1,000 prize as well as bragging rights. Open Wheel Modifieds will be featured as the support class and will compete for $500 to win in an unsanctioned event sponsored by Pitt’s Homes and New Vision Graphics.

On Saturday night the Manufacturer’s Dash and two consolation events will be held for the Super Late Models in addition to the 100 lap, DART Show Me 100 finale. Open Wheel Modifieds will once again be featured as the support class and will compete for $500 to win in an unsanctioned event sponsored by Pitt’s Homes and New Vision Graphics. Race fans please note that an autograph session will be held in the spectator midway from 5:00pm to 5:45pm.

For more information on the event, please visit www.LucasDirt.com, www.MLRARacing.com, and www.LucasOilSpeedway.com .

Back