500 Strong: Fred Rahmer scores landmark win at Lincoln Speedway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Camargo, IL (5-4-09) by Kelly Brown - Public Relations Director – In racing the number 500 has a lot of significance whether it is 500 miles at Indy or Daytona, but it is not every day that a driver gets to celebrate 500 career feature wins. Fred Rahmer did just that tonight in O’Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions competition, as the driver simply known as “Fast Freddie” took the win for the PA Posse.
Rahmer’s night began with pole sitter Brian Leppo by his side. On the drop of the Green Flag Leppo jumped out into the early lead and would set the pace for the first 13 laps of the event. Rahmer would fall in line with three time All Star Champion Dale Blaney following in the fray. Doug Esh, who started fourth picked up the third position by Lap 3 and slid past Rahmer on Lap 6.
The event’s only Yellow Flag was unfurled for Mark Smith’s racing machine, which came to a stop against the inside guardrail in Turn 2 on the 6th orbit of the oval. This was bad news for Esh as the lap did not count and when the field was reverted back to the prior lap it sent him back to third in Rahmer’s tire tracks.
When the field took the Green Flag, Rahmer blocked a charge by Esh and set his sights on the lead. Rahmer stalked Leppo in the bottom groove, until Lap 14. At that point Leppo’s car was clearly tight on the bottom and Rahmer was able to get around him in the second turn.
Rahmer did not drive away from the pack through once in the lead. He had to deal with lapped traffic and in the final laps he fought off advances by Leppo, Esh, and Alan Krimes, but Rahmer had number 500 in his grasps and did not let it go. At the finish line it would be Rahmer with Leppo, Esh, Krimes and Blaney rounding out the top-five.
This was not only Rahmer’s 500th win, but it was also his 164th win at Lincoln Speedway. Rahmer took home $5,000 for the victory. The timing of this win was quite timely for the legendary PA Posse member, as he will be inducted into the Sprint Car Hall of Fame in less than a month.
The O’Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions will be back in action next weekend as the pilots of the series have a triple-header in PA, starting at Williams Grove on Friday before moving to Port Royal for a two night event. For the most up to date information on the All Star Circuit of Champions bookmark www.allstarsprint.com on your computer.
Winner’s Quote:
Fred Rahmer–”"It's nice to win my 500th win on an All Star show. I've got a lot of
respect for those guys. Dale Blaney, Greg Wilson, Danny Smith and the whole group of other guys are real good and it's nice to win against them. I feel very fortunate. The real race was when they put me back in front of Doug on that caution. They came over the radio and said I was ahead of him the lap before. I kept waiting for Brian to move up but that's what happens when you start on the pole. He led all those laps on the bottom so I just kept working him and working him until we finally got by. The track was really good tonight and you could move around and race. It made for good entertainment and I appreciate everyone spending their money to come watch us race."

Back