50th Anniversary of Habe Haberlings Daytona crash.

COUPE FAN

DUANE MARBURGER
50 years ago on February 21st 1961, Walsh Stadium, Alton Speedway and Lake hill Speedway stock car driver Habe Haberling lost his life during a warm up lap at the Daytona speedway.

Attachments

• Picture 34.jpg
    Picture 34.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 595
This was a two car team owned by R J Karsten. Kenny Shrum was going to drive the other car. After Habe was killed they loaded the cars up and came back to St. Louis. If your ever around Kenny at the races ask him about the car Habe was driving. When Habe would back off the gas peddle the car would jerk hard to the left. Not good at that big of a race track. I believe Ray Eby also had a car there at that time. Thanks Coupe Fan for the picture. I was just a young boy about this time going to Lake Hill, so I remember Habe very well. He was a great one!
Bob Regot

Kenny told me that story about how it wanted to jerk when you let off of it. Kenny also said that they put the engine in his modified when they got home and he drove it up and down his road, when he let off of it after getting up to some good speed it locked up the wheels and he ended up on his roof in the ditch along the road, after that they crushed the engine. The 55 chevy that Habe was driving was owned by Bob Mueller and Habe was driving for Bob. Ray brought a Chevy, looks like a 53 54 and also wrecked his car, he sold it to Tiny Lund there in Florida and did not bring it back with him.

These are great stories! How about more photos and stories about local people at the big tracks like Daytona!!!

i think dwight barbeau tried the place also i ended up with a stuebake hawk that supposedly made the sportsman show,,might do some research.............lots of good vids on you tube that vintage

Dwight drove a car at Daytona for ralph kitchen and I have home movie with ray eby's car at dautona 50 chevy slope back

It makes me happy to know that people still remember my grandfather. I wish I could have known him as well.
Kenny told me that story about how it wanted to jerk when you let off of it. Kenny also said that they put the engine in his modified when they got home and he drove it up and down his road, when he let off of it after getting up to some good speed it locked up the wheels and he ended up on his roof in the ditch along the road, after that they crushed the engine. The 55 chevy that Habe was driving was owned by Bob Mueller and Habe was driving for Bob. Ray brought a Chevy, looks like a 53 54 and also wrecked his car, he sold it to Tiny Lund there in Florida and did not bring it back with him.
It makes me happy to know that people still remember my grandfather. I wish I could have known him as well.
It's amazing to me that so many people remember my Dad.. Habe. I love reading the stories. I remember so many of the names that were brought up because my mom would tell us about them. Did anyone ever get the MUSEUM for St. Louis Drivers open??

Back