animals in local area and maxxis

i believe we should make the slow but inevitable switch starting next year at our local tracks

run the classes together like tunica is doing this year were the animal has to run a small black restricter plate with the flat head. i think on bigger shows if we alow this it will bring more people who no longer have flatheads. If it posses a problem during the season (not equall one faster then the other) then we seperate the classes. the midwest is looseing kart count and we need to try to bring back to life. also has anyone thought about running the cheaper, longer lasting, and the more common tire the maxxis ht3 at our local tracks.it cost me from anywere to 25-40$ cheaper a set from 33s to ht3's

thats just some of my ideas for you all to sit on this winter
lets bring karts back to the midwest like 4 years ago

thanks Daryn

I'll let you know my thoughts on the matter after Tunica. If the flatheads and restricted animals mix well then why not copy that locally. I don't think it will get more people involved but you never know.

I would have to agree that eventually the animal engine will be the engine of choice. However, I don't think flathead engines or Burris tires are the reason behind lower kart counts in this area. There are still a lot of racers with flathead engines, and they have no intentions of switching over right now. Many of the tracks in the south, and in the east, get great kart counts weekly, and they still run flathead engines. Many of those tracks also run Burris tires. I'm not disagreeing with you that the animal will eventually be the engine to have. I also agree that a Maxxis tire will be faster longer than a Burris. I just don't think if we went to animal engines and Maxxis tires it would bring kart count back up. Bringing kart count back up will take a combination of many things...

I believe that karting will come back in this area eventually. If the tracks promote more, have more bigger races, and stay consistent with their rules, the racers will come back. If you look at Bedrock's website, not counting people given points in more than 1 class, Bedrock had over 100 karts given points this year. This does not count the last 2 money races. That would add even more karts.

Average prices:
National flathead = $1,400
National animal = $1,300

Burris tires = $210.50/set plus tax and shipping
Maxxis tires = $200.50/set plus tax and shipping

Justin,

Be fair with those prices...

Burris tires = $210.50/set plus tax and shipping (3 sets per race to WIN) 3x210.5= $631.5
Maxxis tires = $200.50/set plus tax and shipping (1 or 2 sets per race to WIN) 2x200.5= $401.0

Thats the difference...if you are going to race a high level of competition every weekend.

Saturday shows arent always national level races week in and week out but the more karts a tracks gets the more money your going to spend in burris to stay fast. Maxxis just last alot longer and they are cheaper.

After all that is said i dont think any of that has any thing to do with kart count. If a track takes care of the racer and gives back then people will race its that simple. Good Track+good pay+good people= more karts

tire rules

here we go again i still dont see how a tire rule is causing more people to support their local tracks . what was the average kart count and the high and low kart counts at bedrock and jyi this year. if i recall correctly some people said if jyi went to a burris rule they would come out and support the track i dont think there was a whole bunch coming from bedrock.

Justin,

Be fair with those prices...

Burris tires = $210.50/set plus tax and shipping (3 sets per race to WIN) 3x210.5= $631.5
Maxxis tires = $200.50/set plus tax and shipping (1 or 2 sets per race to WIN) 2x200.5= $401.0

Thats the difference...if you are going to race a high level of competition every weekend.

Saturday shows arent always national level races week in and week out but the more karts a tracks gets the more money your going to spend in burris to stay fast. Maxxis just last alot longer and they are cheaper.

After all that is said i dont think any of that has any thing to do with kart count. If a track takes care of the racer and gives back then people will race its that simple. Good Track+good pay+good people= more karts

I did think about the amount of tires it takes to win, but remember, at the local level, i.e. Bedrock and JYI, the majority of the racers don't buy that many tires (Maxxis or Burris.) Many of them are running tires from the year before. You make a great point about buying 2 sets of Maxxis compared to 3 sets of Burris, but at the local level, the people who are going to show up with a lot of tires, are going to show up with 2, 3, 4, or 5 sets no matter what brand of tire you run.

With that said, I'll go back to my first post, I think the Maxxis tire is faster for a longer period of time. I think it's a great tire. However, I don't think 1 set of Maxxis or 1 set of Burris is the reason kart counts are down. It doesn't matter how many sets of tires it takes to win, the majority of local racers are only going to buy 1 or 2 sets of tires a year. Therefore, the people who show up with 2 or 3 sets of tires should have an advantage no matter what brand of tire you're running.

I completely agree with your last statement.

Justin

here we go again i still dont see how a tire rule is causing more people to support their local tracks . what was the average kart count and the high and low kart counts at bedrock and jyi this year. if i recall correctly some people said if jyi went to a burris rule they would come out and support the track i dont think there was a whole bunch coming from bedrock.

Remember, the racers at Bedrock chose the tire rule at the rules meeting. They wanted everyone to be on the same tire and compound. I agree with you on the tire rule helping both tracks. It was obvious by midseason that the people who ran Bedrock, mainly ran Bedrock...and the people who ran JYI, mainly ran JYI. The good thing was, we went to JYI 4 times this past year, and we didn't have to worry about tires. We just needed to worry about setup.

Justin

ok with that said. who whould be willing to go to an all maxxis rule in 2 years( let everyone run there newerburris that that got this past season) and this year we go to a burris 33 and a maxxis ht3 rule. only those 2 tires. Make a slow switch for those people who still have good and useful burris. and also the two tires should be darn equal in speed what we run down there on burris low 12s. so... it should fair to have both tires

dude

ok you get on the phone and see if maxxis is willing to donate $2000.00 to the point fund at the end of the year. tracks are falling off all over the usa because of the multiple tire rules. tires wear out faster because of prep, do away with prep and your problems will be solved. let me know how that works out. the reason kart count is down because 4 years ago prep was not a big thing on the local level.we had a lot of racers that came out to bedrock just to have fun with a chance to win and not spend a lot of money to do that.(prep, and new tires every 6 weeks) i remember back when kurt won the championship in the lights one year and mediums the next, we ran the same firestones for 2 years and our prep was simple green.

If a maxxis tire is prepped right it will last a extremely long time. I have a set of tires I ran over two hundred laps on and won 7 out of 9 shows with. 5 of these shows were national level races. I also have several other sets that I am still running that have right at 150-175 laps and are still wicked fast. A track like bedrock wont hurt a maxxis tire because there isnt enough bite to wear the tire out. With that said maxxis will never give any track money for there points fund. An easy fix to force racers to run one set of tires the entire night is stamping or marking them at the beginning of the night. This eliminates some cost. If you have to use one set then you cant prep it as hard so they will last the whole night which means the racer is saving money. Bedrock does a great job running their track they dont need to change their tire rule they just need more money races :) :) :)

Mike H

money races

mike i have to agree with you on the money races. we are still looking for people with deep pockets. we are working on our track sponsors for next year. i would like to see a money race once a month. as far as the tire rule we realy like handing out all the stuff from burris at the end of the season. this year we gave out close to $2000.00 in gift certificates,tires,shirts, and hats. it would be hard to walk away from burris when they give us all that stuff to hand back to the racers.

larry i totally agree the banquet was great and i wouldn't want to waver from that i just know getting tires is becoming more of a necessity with the aggressive preps we run and the burris tires do not hold up like the maxxis tire does. im just looking for suggestions im not on here to offend anybody i would just like to get peoples opinions so we can save people who are on low budgets like me money. i think bedrock is running a great track great facilities and great people.

Back