Baltzell and Otto go Back to Back on Military Appreciation Night at I-44 Speedway!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Lebanon, MO; Military Appreciation Night brought several “scrambles” to the Lebanon I-44 Speedway. Kids scrambling for 100,000 pennies and drivers scrambling for the win brought lots of excitement to the nearly packed house.

Rocky Rash and Mike Coryell led the Modified field to the green flag for the start of their wild 20 lap feature with Coryell jumping into the early lead. Chrissy Wallace’s night at I-44 Speedway got off to a rough start, after being taken out in the heat race then once again at the start of the Modified feature. Wallace would get the car back going and quickly moved up from her eighth starting spot into the top five. Point leader Jason Otto made his way through the field from his sixth starting spot and took the lead away from Coryell just past lap five. Otto would immediately start to stretch out his lead, while Wallace and Brian Brown put on a great dogfight for fifth. Ken Dickinson would take the second position away from Coryell just past halfway and set his sights on the leader Otto, but would run out of laps as Otto cruised to his second win in a row. Dickinson would come home second, Coryell third, Jim Reaves fourth, Brown fifth and Wallace came home in sixth. “I wish we could have run better, the car just got looser and looser after the spin,” said Wallace. “I had a great time down here though, the track is great and I can’t wait to come back and race here again.”

Robert Baltzell and Jimmy Vanzandt led the Late Model field to the green flag for their 30-lap Late Model feature with Baltzell grabbing the early lead in turn one. Grant Sharp and Steve Holt put on a great battle for second place in the early laps while Mike Slone made his way through traffic from his eighth starting position to try and join the dogfight for second. Holt would take the second position from Sharp by lap 10 while Baltzell continued to open up a large lead on the field. Slone would make his way around Sharp at the halfway mark, before setting his sights on the leaders. Slone made quick work of Holt, then started trying to reel in the leader Baltzell. Slone quickly made up some ground on the leader Baltzell, but would run out of time as Baltzell took home his second Late Model feature win in a row. Slone was second, Holt third, Sharp fourth, and Chris Beaver rounded out the top five.

Gary Davenport went four wide in turn one to take the early lead in the Charger feature with the rest of the field jockeying for position behind him. Caston Jones would take over the second position and set his sights on the leader Davenport. Jones committed to the bottom and the two battled side by side for several laps before taking the white flag. Jones stayed on the bottom while Davenport used the momentum on the high side to take home the feature win. Jones came in second, Jimmy Poindexter third, Nick Moore fourth and Larry Hunter rounded out the top five.

Veteran driver Tom Claus jumped out to the early lead in the Street Stock feature, taking the lead from outside pole sitter Rob White and began to pull away from the field. White and point leader Dale Roper, Jr. battled for second. Claus would go on to take home his first victory of the season over White, Roper and Gary Barrows rounded out the top four. Point leader Payton Lucas took the early lead from Mike Scott in the Pure Street feature and never looked back, taking home his third feature win in a row. Scott came home second and Steve Shaw came home third.

Saturday night will be Season Championship Night, as it will be the last point’s race in the Monster Energy Chase for the Cup as well as the ASA National Championship. I-44 Speedway will also be hosting Teacher Appreciation Night, with free grandstand admission for all teachers. Gates will open at 5:00, hot laps at 6:00 and racing at 7:30. Grandstand tickets are $10 for adults, $6 for juniors (ages 11-15) and free for kids 10 and under. Admission to the Budweiser Wild Side is $12 for adults, $7 for juniors and free for kids 10 and under. There is a $2 military and senior citizen discount for seniors 62 and over. Please visit www.i44speedway.net, twitter.com/i44speedway, or call (417) 532-2060 for more information.

Pure Street Feature:

1-Payton Lucas, Fair Grove

2-Mike Scott, Rogersville

3-Steve Shaw, Rogersville

Street Stock Feature:

1-Tom Claus, Cuba

2-Rob White, Lebanon

3-Dale Roper, Jr., Fair Grove

4-Gary Barrows, Versailles

Chargers Feature:

1-Gary Davenport, Marshfield

2-Caston Jones, Belle