Barker outruns young guns in Cedar County JR Motorsports Hawkeye Dirt Tour feature

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
TIPTON, Iowa (June 14) – After getting out to a comfortable lead, Ron Barker found himself hard pressed by a couple young guns from the IMCA Modified ranks Tuesday night at Cedar County Raceway.
The veteran held on against the best efforts of Jacob Waterman and Brian Webb to capture his career first JR Motorsports Hawkeye Dirt Tour win. The victory paid $1,000 and put Barker on the 2012 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot as well.
Hard-charger Waterman, Webb, Dusty Kraklio and Kurt Krauskopf rounded out the top five.
Ronn Lauritzen and Jeff Waterman led the 23-car Cedar County Clash field to the green. Lauritzen used the low line around the 1/4-mile oval to lead the first eight laps. Jeff Waterman and Krauskopf raced side-by-side for second just behind Lauritzen.
Kraklio worked his way past Lauritzen for the lead, but was quickly challenged by Barker, who took the lead over on lap 13 and started to open up a comfortable advantage.
Jacob Waterman had started the 30-lap main event in the 16th position but the 2010 IMCA Modified national rookie of the year found himself running second just after midway. Coupled with Webb hounding him, the duo closed in on Barker as he battled his way through lapped traffic.
With three laps remaining, Barker saw Jacob Waterman move his ride even with his.
"I saw someone underneath me and I decided it was time to go," Barker said. "I had been running half throttle for about a lap with two lapped cars side-by-side in front of me. I was trying to find a way around (the lapped cars). It just worked out."
Barker was able to put two slower cars between himself and Jacob Waterman to ensure the win. Ryan Dolan finished sixth and maintained his series point lead.
Next up for the JR Motorsports Hawkeye Dirt Tour is the June 23 show at Cresco Speedway, during the Mighty Howard County Fair.
Feature results –
1. Ron Barker, Dubuque;
2. Jacob Waterman, Milan, Ill.;
3. Brian Webb, Davenport;
4. Dusty Kraklio, Durant;
5. Kurt Krauskopf, Decorah;
6. Ryan Dolan, Lisbon;
7. Dan Chapman, Clarence;
8. Kelly Meyer, Big Rock;
9. Jeff Waterman, Quincy, Ill.;
10. Ronn Lauritzen, Jesup;
11. Richie Gustin, Gilman;
12. Mark Schulte, Delhi;
13. Greg Cox, Altoona;
14. Mitch Morris, Eldridge;
15. Rich Smith, Davenport;
16. Mike Burbridge, Delhi;
17. Jake Bowman, Maquoketa;
18. John Ahlers, Bettendorf;
19. Mark Elliott, Webster City;
20. Tony Snyder, Readlyn;
21. Larry Herring, Lone Tree;
22. Dennis Betzer, Central City;
23. Todd Hansen, Muscatine.
1st heat (top four) – 1. Lauritzen; 2. Hansen; 3. Cox; 4. Bowman. 2nd heat – 1. Dolan; 2. Gustin; 3. Krauskopf; 4. Herring. 3rd heat – 1. Webb; 2. Jeff Waterman; 3. Chapman; 4. Schulte. 4th heat – 1. Barker; 2. Kraklio; 3. Smith; 4. Jacob Waterman.
1st “B” feature (top three) – 1. Elliott; 2. Burbridge; 3. Betzer. 2nd “B” feature – 1. Meyer; 2. Morris; 3. Ahlers.

Back