Beware of Bad Rat Race Motors

43 pety

Do not use Bad Rat performance engines in high ridge Missouri,,,this guy will rip ya off,, he quotes ya a price and will change it on ya,,charge ya for patrts that you will NOT GET,,drages his feet about getting your stuff done,, his wotk is crap,,his "performance" motors dont stay together,,you can buy a crate motor for what he over charges for a build,,, Rick is his name,, in High Ridge Mo..dont go there,,

When ya been in bussines for over 50 years have to be doing something right my vehicles have been made better and well taken care of by Rick so

Last edited:
I don't believe any of the negative stuff about Bad Rat Racing. I've known Rick for almost 40 years and have never heard one complaint. As a matter of fact most people praise his work. It's timely, reasonable and done on time. Vehicles are far better when they he's done than when they got there. Sounds like you have an ax to grind.

You can believe what you want to believe. I joined after finding out about this site, then found this thread and decided to speak what I know to be the truth. Unjustified, negative publicity about a reputable person or company isn't fair when you don't know the whole story. There are always two sides to it for sure.

Do not use Bad Rat performance engines in high ridge Missouri,,,this guy will rip ya off,, he quotes ya a price and will change it on ya,,charge ya for patrts that you will NOT GET,,drages his feet about getting your stuff done,, his wotk is crap,,his "performance" motors dont stay together,,you can buy a crate motor for what he over charges for a build,,, Rick is his name,, in High Ridge Mo..dont go there,,

43 pety has some good points. I got ripped off by Rick on a 400 hp 383 stroker motor. He is a hack and the motor he built me is over 175 hp short of what it was supposed to be. He took my calls for the first month or so and looked at the car once but fixed nothing. Then he ignored multiple calls until warranty was expired and blamed everything else but the motor. One plug was gapped so bad the cylinder went down. Cut transmission cooler lines instead of correctly removing them and used rubber line with hose clamps,lost my dust cover,put the wrong bolt in a/c and built a stock hp motor. Garbage work. I sued him in small claims court and won like I would have anyways even if him and his lawyer showed up. Check case.net yourself. I recommend to stay away from this dirtball and find a real builder.

43 pety has some good points. I got ripped off by Rick on a 400 hp 383 stroker motor. He is a hack and the motor he built me is over 175 hp short of what it was supposed to be. He took my calls for the first month or so and looked at the car once but fixed nothing. Then he ignored multiple calls until warranty was expired and blamed everything else but the motor. One plug was gapped so bad the cylinder went down. Cut transmission cooler lines instead of correctly removing them and used rubber line with hose clamps,lost my dust cover,put the wrong bolt in a/c and built a stock hp motor. Garbage work. I sued him in small claims court and won like I would have anyways even if him and his lawyer showed up. Check case.net yourself. I recommend to stay away from this dirtball and find a real builder.

He must have had the cam out of time to be down 175 horsepower on a build like that one. I've seen that a lot on a Chevrolet, Chrysler, Olds etc where the person assembling the engine lines up the dot on the top gear with the key in the crank snout instead of the dot on the lower gear. This puts the cam about 45 degrees out of time(advanced) from where it should be in the engine. Checking the cam using a degree wheel would find this error easily.

Back