Big Racing Weekend in St. Louis

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
by Jeff Adams
The UMP “Frostbuster 50” at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach was rained out last Friday but will be run tonight, kicking off a huge racing weekend in the St. Louis area.

Billy Moyer headlines the drivers confirmed for the “Frostbuster”, which will pay $10,000 to-win. Bart Hartman, Brian Birkhofer, Jimmy Mars, John Mason, Dennis Erb and Kevin Weaver are among the 40-50 car field expected. The UMP Modifieds will also race, with $2,000 going to the winner. The USMTS Modifieds are running elsewhere this weekend, so Tri-City will offer the same purse as last weekend, just under UMP sanctioning. For more information, log onto tricityspeedway.net.

Tomorrow night, the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series make a rare Midwestern appearance at I-55 Raceway in Pevely, MO, located just South of St. Louis. With both Sammy Swindell and Steve Kinser following the series this year, it will be a rare opportunity to see 2 of the true legends of dirt track racing competing on the same track.

Defending WoO champ Donny Schatz holds a scant 24 point lead over Kinser in the chase for the 2009 title heading into this weeekends’ action. Joey Saldana sits 4 points behind Kinser in 3rd, with Jason Myers and Craig Dollansky rounding out the top 5. Myers won last years’ spring race at I-55. Stevie Smith holds the track record for Sprint Cars at Pevely with an incredible lap of 10.189 seconds in 2002, which equates to an average speed of 117 MPH around the 1/3 mile oval.

U.M.P. DIRTcar Modifieds will also be on the program at Pevely, paying $1,000 to-win. Hot laps for the UMP Modifieds will begin at 4 PM, followed by modified heat races at 4:30. WoO Sprint hot laps are at 6 with qualifying at 6:30. Tickets are $32 for reserved seats and $30 for general admission. Kids 12 and under are FREE in the general admission sections. Gates open at 2pm. For more information, check out i55raceway.com
SHORT TRACKS

Canton driver Chris Windom finished 8th in the USAC National Sprint Car event held last weekend at Eldora Speedway in Ohio…Spoon River Speedway will host an open practice session Sunday from 1 to 5 PM. Spoon River begins its’ regular racing program next Saturday night…the WDRL Late Models will be in action at Quad City Raceway in East Moline Sunday night, paying $5,000 to-win.

Back