Breaking News Re Benton

I heard two guys working in an auto parts store (not in Fredericktown).
It went something like this:

Guy 1, "Benton is going to be opening again next year."
Guy 2, "Oh yeah, who is going to take it over?"
Guy 1, "The guy that was running Farmington, it's closing, the Fair Board owns the property and they aren't going to renew the lease."

You heard it here first.

Any truth to this?

Well I can tell you it's not Larry Minkel. He was approached (several times) but he turned it down. I don't think Gary Montgomery would want to mess with it either. But wierder things have happened.

If they aren't going to renew the lease, then why did Corey go through all the hassel of taking it over? Sounds to me like your two guys in the parts store are just rumor spreaders. And to be quite honest with you who ever does take on the burden of running Benton had better have a better idea of how to put butts on those bleachers. Because the last few that have tried have failed big time. When stuff like that happens it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth that was involved and takes awhile to get the fan base to return and the racers back.

The rumor that SFCR will not be open next year has been going for about 3 years now and it is going to be turned into a frontage road. The road is going to come all the way up to the pit shack, so that means they will lose over 3/4 of there parking lot. I think if SFCR does close all the sprinters will be in Benton and most of the sprint fans from SFCR will follow there drivers. I hope this is not the case but it seems to be happening with a lot of dirt tracks in the states.

I have full faith that SFCR will be running their normal season next year. As far as the rumors about Benton, i spoke to someone the other night and i say " dont rule anything out " just might happen ;) LD

i dont think benton will be owned by either Gary or Larry.....but u never know....lol.....it sux that theyre takin away most of the surrounding area....just wondering but doesnt benton just run stuff like cruisers, late models, and stuff like that ....no sprints right??

casey69fan1 said:
i dont think benton will be owned by either Gary or Larry.....but u never know....lol.....it sux that theyre takin away most of the surrounding area....just wondering but doesnt benton just run stuff like cruisers, late models, and stuff like that ....no sprints right??
They ran sprints on Saturdays up until last year, then they went to a special show only type of deal. But that was the old promoters. Anything is possible with someone new.

sfcr

as far as the road going right in front of the pit gate ,that info is wrong.I seen the proposed map and all the track is going to lose is the sprint car sign and maybe 50-100 feet of the parking lot

I was with Corey and Gary most of the weekend at Little Rock,Corey has some ideas about some shows for Farmington next year,So I doubt any of the rumors are true.Gary and I joked about Benton running with him,no worries there,he isn't going to throw his time or money away on that place anytime soon,way to much damage control for a working man to try and fix.

Benton would make a great FRIDAY nite track if promoted by someone who would work to put butts in the bleachers. I would like to see it open with UMP latemodels, UMP mods, and some other class on Fridays next year. I am betting alot of people would like to see sprints and IMCA mods instead, either would probably go over really well, on FRIDAY

I disagree Dean. Malden is such an established track I can't see running against them. I think with what they are trying to run there that Sunday evenings is their best bet. That way they would have a niche into the entire racing community. I don't think late models are the way to go either... You've got enough late model tracks in the region. I bet if they ran sprints, IMCA mods, pure streets and a four-cylinder class they could get by. I know the sprint guys would also work with the new promoter even if it meant $1,000 to win and $100 to start. The problem with Benton is getting people into the grandstands and it's not because it hasn't been promoted because it has. Jerry Wolsey worked his butt off promoting it. His eyes were just too big for his stomach and he tried to promote these huge shows before he ever built up any kind of base. The sprints will help put some people in the stands, but it's the modifieds, pure streets and four-cylinder class guys that will make or break the track. They are true backbone of that track if it has any future at all.

Sunday evening.

360 sprint cars. $1000 to win, $150 to start. Several Farmington cars. Jacksonville is leaning towards 360s, Memphis has numerous 360s.

IMCA modifieds since there's probably more of them from Farmington south.

Some class of street or hobby stocks. It would need to be the same or very close to other tracks in the area, not some new Benton only rules.

A 4th class that rotates. Mini stocks, multis, dwarfs, etc. Maybe even try a MARA midget show.

Stay away from the high dollar traveling shows.

If 4 classes takes too long on Sunday night, drop one of the stock car classes. Keep the variety class. It's nice to see something different instead of the same old thing every night. Plus, the sprint cars would be the most apt to show up every week. The others have local Fri and Sat tracks at which to race. They might not be as inclined to race every Sunday night but would probably do once a month.

Just some thoughts.

I hear that Kenny Schrader and some other guy is going to reopen the track up, but I dont know when they are going to do that.

sorry but i think you heard wrong on schrader having anything to do with it. he owns part of pevely not to mention MARS late model series ir something like that. I seriously doubt ken has any dibs on benton. plus, what about this rumor that was started awhile back about guy webb going to maybe buy benton???? WHAT HAPPEND THERE???

Schrader is part owner of UMP wich also owns X-treem Dirt Car Series, and the Northern Allstar Latemodel Series. MARS is owned by Money Starr, or Randy Moneyham, I cant remember wich, but the other one owns MLRA.

Benton is to close to Farmington to survive on saturday nites with sprints, they have tried it over and over, and failed over and over. Malden is not that well established, a well run and promoted UMP show would succeed at Benton on a Friday nite. There is no UMP latemodels racing in MO on Friday, and that would definately draw cars and fans. I am not so sure that Benton would have to draw from Malden anyway, there are people who want to race in the area that are not currently racing on fridays, and people towing to IL tracks on Friday.

If you believe all the rumors about Schrader you would believe that he is trying to take over the world.

410man said:
sorry but i think you heard wrong on schrader having anything to do with it. he owns part of pevely not to mention MARS late model series ir something like that. I seriously doubt ken has any dibs on benton. plus, what about this rumor that was started awhile back about guy webb going to maybe buy benton???? WHAT HAPPEND THERE???
It's one thing to mouth, but if you're going to mouth at least bring some brains to the table with you. Don't doubt Kenny Schrader, he might fool you. And maybe Guy Webb just got smart since he already has a full plate with the All Stars. ;)

benton is an awesome facility, i dont understand during their racing seasons why they have no fans??? Is people down that way just not into racing????? hey i know load benton's racetrack up in a trailer and move it up this way LOL!, these areas will put fans in the stands no doubt! just run sprints, and modifieds on friday nights and then they can run farmington saturday nights! how sweet would that be????

The Schrader/Marler interest in Benton was very real a few years ago, but now that they own I-55 rather than leasing it as they did in the past, I really do not see them taking over Benton.
As far as filling the seats in Benton, I seems to me that the people in the Cape Girardeau area have a short attention span and like to do what is the hot trend at any given time. When Simpsons ran the track they drew good crowds, but the fans lost interest in racing during the periods of mismanagement and when the track was closed. Down there it is like that with restaurants, bars, stores, and other things.
It would take someone with deep pockets to reopen the track and run it until they could get the crowds back

yeah, it is really a shame they have such a nice facility, but no real racing fans. Im with the guy that said move the track here...Fredericktown needs a new track, bring Benton here!!!!

I Totally Agree Dean. Malden Is Having Problems Talk To Any Of Their Racers The Track ****s Anymore. I Had Heard I Think It Was Bill Hampton That Sold His Part Out Of The Malden Track But, Noone Seems To Think That There Is Going To Be Any Drastic Changes To It Due To That Fact.

I Know 4 Malden Racers That Pulled To Benton Everytime That Track Was Opened And Loved It.

Ump Late Models Would Be Great ....but, The Mods Would Almost Have To Be Imca. For, There Is So Many Down There That Already Run Imca. Pure Streets Would Pack The House On A Friday Nite.

Benton Is A Wonderful Facility And Good Location. I Can't Understand Why It Dont' Do Good. I Loved Going There!!!!

Back