Buckingham Gets Exposure With StormPay.com DLMS

CRUSAPR

CLARKSVILLE, TN – Dirt Late Model fans are beginning to recognize the name of Shannon Buckingham of Morristown, TN. Buckingham, who is in his second year of dirt late model competition, currently leads the StormPay.com Dirt Late Model Series National point standings after the first four events of the 2006 season.

Before moving into the Crate Late Models, Buckingham tasted success in dirt track racing, winning three Mod Lite National Championships. Mod Lites are small, short wheelbase race cars powered by four-cylinder motorcycle engines. Making the move to Crate Late Models was a big step for Buckingham.

“I wanted to be a Late Model driver, and the Crate engines made it affordable to make the move a little sooner than we anticipated,” Buckingham said. “Last year was a learning year for us. When we got our first late model, we didn’t even know how to load it in the trailer.”

Buckingham’s experience in traveling to different tracks with the Mod Lites was helpful in accelerating his learning curve with the Late Models.

“We traveled to a lot of different tracks with the Mod Lites, so I was able to learn how to adapt to changing conditions you encounter in dirt track racing,” Buckingham said. “In running with the StormPay.com Dirt Late Model Series, there are a lot of experienced drivers out there to learn from. That’s one of the things I really like about the series, and that’s the good camaraderie among the drivers.”

It didn’t take him long to catch on. Buckingham has one win, three top five finishes, and is the only driver to finish in the top ten in all four events. He holds a 36-point lead over National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee Ronnie Johnson of Chattanooga, TN.

Even with what many would consider a comfortable point lead, Buckingham is very cautious when it comes to talking about being the point leader.

“It’s way too early to claim success because there is still a lot of racing to do,” Buckingham said. “But, so far, we’re pretty tickled with our progress because we’ve had to overcome to some bad qualifying runs, not only to get into the race, but to get into the top ten at the finish of the race.”

That bad experience Buckingham spoke of happened at Talladega Short Track in Eastaboga, AL on January 8 during the season-opening Ice Bowl. Buckingham qualified 49th out of 78 entrants, and started his B-Main race deep in the field from the 11th spot. In 12 laps, Buckingham raced up to the second, and final transfer spot, to earn the 22nd starting position for the main event.

Buckingham had a long row to hoe, but by the halfway point of the 40-lap race, Buckingham came from 22nd to tenth. By the end of the race, Buckingham brought his S&S Millwrights Barry Wright 604 home to a fifth-place finish and the NeSmith Chevrolet Hard Charger of the Race Award.

When the StormPay.com Dirt Late Model Series went to Columbus Speedway in Columbus, MS two weeks later for the Winter Classic, fans remembered Buckingham after his Talladega Short Track performance.

Qualifying went better for Buckingham, as he timed in 15th out of 42 entrants, and made the big show without having to run a B-Main. The 40-lap main event saw Buckingham move up seven spots for an eighth-place finish. Buckingham went to Brunswick, GA fourth in points, and it was at this race that he established himself as a championship contender.

He qualified third quick, and led the 30-lap feature for 11 laps before losing the point to eventual race winner Dennis “Rambo” Franklin of Gaffney, SC with seven laps to go. Buckingham finished second, and moved up to second in the point standings behind Johnson.

It all came together for Buckingham at Modoc Speedway in Modoc, SC on April 1. Buckingham had run some weekly shows at the 3/8-mile clay oval on the banks of the Savannah River, and even won some races. That experience showed, as Buckingham set fast time among the 40 entrants.

A second-place finish in the StormPay.com Lightning Quick 6 Dash put Buckingham on the outside front row for the main event along side pole sitter David Gentry of Lewisburg, TN.

Gentry took the lead, but Buckingham kept him in his sights. Buckingham said Gentry has been one of his biggest mentors since he began running the Crate Late Models, and the teacher appeared to be giving the student another lesson.

“David Gentry has helped me lot about set ups and how to drive these cars,” Buckingham said. “He helped me with the set up we used at Talladega, and he was talking to me about the Modoc race right up until we got in the cars. I was pretty much convinced I was going to run second to David at Modoc. I could stay with him, but I could get close enough to challenge him for the lead.”

As the two leaders approached lapped traffic, Gentry taught Buckingham another lesson he probably wishes he could have taught another way. That lesson was patience.

“When we caught the lapped traffic, I thought David was maybe a little too aggressive in trying to get around the lapped cars,” Buckingham said. “I just waited, and gave them room.”

Gentry jumped the mound of dirt that marked the inside of the track, and spun trying to pass a lapped car with ten laps to go in the race. Buckingham was able to get by unscathed, and assume the lead. Buckingham then held off a last lap challenge from Casey Roberts of Toccoa, GA to post a half car-length win.

“Our car was ailing at the end of the race, and I could hear Roberts was close, and then I could see him there at the end,” Buckingham said. “He drove me clean, and it was a great race. David Gentry was strong and had the race won. I hated to see him lose the lead like he did because we’ve lost some races like that too, but we’ll take the win.”

The victory put Buckingham on top of the StormPay.com Dirt Late Model Series National Tour point standings.

Next up for Buckingham and the rest of the StormPay.com Dirt Late Model Series National Tour will be a three-race Memorial Day weekend extravaganza at Duck River Speedway in Wheel, TN on May 25, Thunderhill Raceway in Lawrenceburg, TN on May 26, and StormPay.com Speedway in Clarksville, TN on May 27.

Each race pays $3,000-to-win with a $1,000 bonus going to a driver that can win two out of the three races, and Buckingham is ready for the challenge.

“I’m really excited about the three races coming up over the Memorial Day weekend,” Buckingham said. “These three tracks are small tracks, and that’s going to be a challenge for me because I seem to do better on the bigger tracks. But, to win a championship, you have to be good on all types of tracks.”

Buckingham said there are so many positives associated with the StormPay.com Dirt Late Model Series, and the tracks are one of them.

“The biggest positives about the StormPay series is that they take us to good tracks, pay good purses, and have good drivers to compete against,” Buckingham said. “There were three Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame drivers in the field at Modoc. The series has also helped us get more exposure in front of sponsors, and that’s a big plus.”

Buckingham said as he gains more exposure to both fans and sponsors, he may move into the more expensive Super Late Models, but for now, he’s very happy to be where he’s at with the StormPay.com Dirt Late Model Series.

“We thought about going Super Late Model racing right out of the Mod Lites, but the StormPay series offered us a way to go Late Model racing with an engine that costs a lot less than a Super Late Model engine, and everyone has the same engine.” Buckingham said. “The StormPay series with the Crate engines helps keep the expenses down, and with everyone on a level playing field helps with the learning curve. I may move up to Super Late Models someday, but I will always keep a Late Model with a Crate engine, and I’ll still run some StormPay.com races.”

Shannon Buckingham has come a long way in two years of racing dirt late models, and he has learned his lessons well. Not only has he mastered the art of loading his black #44 S&S Millwright Barry Wright into the trailer, but now, he knows how to park it in victory lane.

Back