Call Shows Promise in Brief Rookie Season for CH Motorsports

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - LYONS, Ohio (Sept. 11, 2018) - Shane Call showed a lot of promise and he gained an immense amount of racing knowledge during his brief first season behind the wheel of a 305ci winged sprint car for CH Motorsports.

Due to rainouts and other commitments, Call competed in only seven races at Attica Raceway Park in Attica, Ohio, during his first year of competition in any type of racing.

7c2de60e-da2d-4959-a244-24a6f106ca83.jpg
"I guess it went okay for me not having any prior racing experience," said the 18-year-old, second-generation driver. "A lot of people told me I did great, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. I didn't picture going out there and winning a whole bunch. But I didn't achieve some of the things that I wanted, like finishing in the top 10 a few times. But overall I learned a lot."

A heat race win and several charges through the field highlighted Call's short season.

"Winning my first heat race was a highlight," he said. "Even though it's just a heat, winning your first race really helps your confidence. There were also some heat races where I passed a number of cars that stuck out."

While Call had a handful of solid heat race runs, he noted there weren't as many feature highlights.

"I think I didn't do as well in the features because the track was different," said Call, whose best feature finish was 15th. "There were a number of times when I was racing on the wrong part of the track. It was difficult for me to get into my head that you can't run the bottom if it isn't there and the same with the top. Inexperience really shows in the features. I need to adapt faster since that caused me some problems. I felt I was getting better at it the last few races."

Call had about as much non-driving experience with sprint cars prior to getting behind the wheel as any 18-year-old could. He had been at the track nearly all his life and served as a crewman on CH Motorsports' 410ci winged sprint car team - co-owned by his father, Aaron - for a number of years.

"I had a pretty good idea what to expect from my experience with working on them," he said. "But there are some things that you just have to experience as a driver. One of the biggest surprises was how much wing speed you can lose when racing with other cars. When you're directly behind another car it really affects yours. There were some other things that I didn't really anticipate because 305 sprint cars can react differently than 410s."

Call would like to race again next year, but has no solid plans as of now.

"I'd definitely like to race again next year," he said. "I really enjoyed it. But we haven't talked about it yet so I have no idea what I'll be doing next year."

SEASON STATS -

7 races, 0 wins, 0 top fives, 0 top 10s, 1 top 15, 5 top 20s

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Machacek Concrete

Machacek Concrete of Lyons, Ohio, has more than 40 years of experience in providing a variety of concrete products, services and specialties. For more information, call 419-923-0425.

"Machacek Concrete sponsored my father when he drove sprint cars," Call said. "I really appreciate their support."

Call would also like to thank Janet Holbrook, Iffland Farms, Ehrsam Excavating, Machacek Concrete, Jerry's Auto Repair, Deshler Lanes, Engler Machine, Gressman Powersports, All Pro, J&J Auto Racing, Winters Performance Products, KSE Racing Products, Wings Unlimited, Fisher Racing Engines, Weld Wheels, FK Rod Ends, Slade Shock Technology, Astro Titanium, Simpson Race Products and ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems for their continued support.

Back