Carl Edwards to run USAC Silver Crown race at PIR!

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By Dick Jordan
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - "It's the perfect track," says Carl Edwards, who will return to the USAC Weld Racing Silver Crown Series for the March 18-21 "Copper World Classic" at Phoenix (Ariz.) International Raceway.

Edwards, of Columbia, Mo., will pilot a car for RE Technologies of Memphis, Tenn. as a teammate to Boston Reid, USAC's 2002 Sprint Car "Rookie of the Year." The race will be Edwards' 12th in a Silver Crown car, having competed at Phoenix in 2001 and 2002.

Edwards currently leads the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series standings after a sensational victory in the series opener at Daytona Beach, Fla. in February. He will compete in this weekend's NASCAR Craftsman Truck race at Atlanta Motor Speedway, then head for Phoenix.

The heir apparent for Mark Martin's NASCAR Nextel Cup ride when Martin retires, Edwards "wants to win a Silver Crown race in the worst way. These guys are my heroes," he adds. "It would be absolutely awesome to win one of these."

In 2001 in his first National pavement racing appearance, Carl completed 71 laps at PIR before his car overheated, finishing 19th. In 2002 a broken valve spring eliminated his bid after 32 laps, relegating him to 27th place. "I didn't have very good luck the first two times," Carl admits. "I'm really excited about this opportunity to drive for the RE team and to team with a driver like Boston Reid."

Carl's best Silver Crown performance to date came at Indianapolis Raceway Park in his only 2003 series appearance. He finished third behind Jason McCord and J.J. Yeley after qualifying for the fourth starting position.

"I ran fourth in last year's Phoenix truck race and am looking forward to the Copper World Classic," says Edwards. "Not only will it give me a chance to pick up my first Silver Crown win, but it'll give me some extra laps on the track which will help me later in the year. I like the new layout of the track and enjoy the different corners and bankings it provides."

Edwards will be among drivers aiming for one of the 36 starting spots in what is an expanded field for this year's Phoenix 100-miler. Silver Crown practice is slated at PIR on Thursday and Friday, with qualifying Saturday and the 100-mile race at 11:30 am Sunday.

The Weld Racing Silver Crown Series shares the PIR weekend with the Indy Racing League's "Indy 200," the Infiniti Pro Series and the USAC National & Western Midget Car Series. A 100-mile Infiniti Pro and 25-mile Midget race are planned Saturday, with the 100-mile Silver Crown and 200-mile IRL races on Sunday.

Back