Carl Edwards wins the Kroger 200 at ORP

stlmrn

Staff member
Click here to view photos from the race:
Gallery 1 http://stlracingphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/9042044_kDngG#601705872_zn9g7
Gallery 2 http://stlracingphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/9043845_KJzGp#601872083_oPzQT

Carl Edwards won the Kroger 200 by overcoming series point’s leader Kyle Busch.

"What a race," exclaimed Edwards as he shouted to the crowd after the race."I had so much fun out there."

Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards had two great battles going nose-to-tail and side-by-side drag racing to the delight of the fans.

The first duel started on lap 115 and Busch and Edwards brought the crowd to their feet as they nearly touched in several occasions. Eventually on lap 120, Edwards passed Busch. Edwards then began to build momentum and was able to pull away from the pack and Busch began to drop back.

Then on lap 168 caution came out and all the leaders went into the pits to get fresh tires. The night almost ended in a disaster as Edwards got pinned in his pit behind Scott Wimmer. This allowed Kyle Busch to come out as the leader.

So once again the second duel begain again as Edwards and Kyle battled nose-to-tail and side-by-side. This time Edwards finally passed him on lap 180 and went on to the race win.

"That is as hard as you can race," said Edwards. "And at this track we can go right up to the limit. And it was a lot of fun."

Trevor Bayne won the pole and led the first 34 laps but was involved in a strange accident after a crash in turn three. As Bayne came on turn two the pace car sped out and he slowed to stay behind but Steve Wallace rammed in the rear spinning both cars. Bayne finished the race in 7th place and Wallace finished in 5th place.

Steve's uncle, Kenny, started 24th and finished in 10th place. Justin Allgaier finished in 21st place.

For Edwards, this is his 22nd NASCAR Nationwide Series race and his second win in 2009. This was his first Nationwide race win at ORP. After the race, Edwards reflected on why ORP is special to him.

"I first won Baby Grande race here and then in 2003 the Truck race," said Edwards. "I have been chasing my dream here for a long time."

Back