Chase Johnson Earns First Career Non-Wing Sprint Car Win During USAC/CRA California Sprint Week

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - HANFORD, Calif. (Sept. 11, 2018) - Chase Johnson crossed off another accomplishment from his list of racing goals last week when he captured his first career non-wing sprint car feature victory.

Johnson guided the Shawn and Cyndi Thomas owned sprint car to an AMSOIL USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series triumph last Thursday at Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, Calif., as part of the annual Gold Cup during the Bullett Impressions California Sprint Week.

a950afaf-5719-4125-b642-a5dc1f34bae7.jpg
"We weren't that strong at the beginning of the race, but as more laps went on the track kept progressing and we got faster and faster," Johnson said. "I was able to fine-tune my line where I was faster. The car really started coming alive at the end of the race. The leader made a mistake here and there and I was able to capitalize. It was pretty special. To be able to do it at Gold Cup and to do it at a USAC/CRA Sprint Week show means a lot."

Johnson led the first two laps and the final two laps to garner the meaningful victory, which was the biggest highlight during a stout California Sprint Week. In addition to the win, Johnson posted podium finishes at Calistoga Speedway in Calistoga, Calif., on Sept. 2 and at Ocean Speedway in Watsonville, Calif., last Friday. He finished eighth in the California Sprint Week championship standings.

"We did a lot better this year thanks to more experience with myself as well as the crew," he said. "I felt more comfortable, but at the same time we didn't run any previous races. In years past we've done non-wing races leading up to it. We hadn't run a non-wing race this year. We were a little more behind, but we had some notes to rely on. I thought we were going to be up front in a couple of the events, but to do as good as we did and be able to get the win definitely exceeded my expectations."

Johnson also competed in a pair of winged sprint car races in the Vanlare No. 5v last Wednesday and Thursday at Silver Dollar Speedway during the Gold Cup. He garnered a seventh-place run a week ago Wednesday and he charged from 22nd to a sixth-place result last Thursday.

"It was a good couple of races in the No. 5v," he said. "I felt like we had great speed. It was a different car than we've ran in the past. We were trying something new and it seemed to work really well. I think the results showed we had a fast car both nights.

"I'm very grateful to the Thomas Family and Vanlare Family for the opportunities. It was a great week of racing and I'm happy we were able to produce strong results in both cars."

Johnson is scheduled to return to action this Friday and Saturday at Calistoga Speedway in Calistoga, Calif., for the Wine Country Outlaw Showdown with the World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series.

QUICK RESULTS -

Sept. 1 - Calistoga Speedway in Calistoga, Calif. - Qualifying: 2; Heat race: 5 (6); Feature: 21 (7).

Sept. 2 - Calistoga Speedway in Calistoga, Calif. - Qualifying: 3; Heat race: 4 (6); Feature: 3 (4).

Sept. 3 - Petaluma Speedway in Petaluma, Calif. - Qualifying: 6; Heat race: 2 (5); Feature: DNF (4).

Sept. 5 - Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, Calif. - Qualifying: 15; Heat race: 1 (1); Dash: 8 (3); Feature: 7 (8).

Sept. 6 - Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, Calif. (winged) - Qualifying: 17; Heat race: 4 (5); B Main: 4 (4); Feature: 6 (22).

Sept. 6 - Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, Calif. (non-wing) - Qualifying: 3; Heat race: 4 (6); Feature: 1 (4).

Sept. 7 - Ocean Speedway in Watsonville, Calif. - Qualifying: 6; Heat race: DNF (5); Feature: 3 (8).

Sept. 8 - Keller Auto Speedway in Hanford, Calif. - Qualifying: 9; Heat race: 3 (4); Feature: 18 (9).

UP NEXT -

Friday and Saturday at Calistoga Speedway in Calistoga, Calif., for the Wine Country Outlaw Showdown with the World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series

MEDIA LINKS -

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChaseJohnson24

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Chase.Johnson.Racing1

APPAREL -

Johnson has t-shirts and sweatshirts for sale at his race trailer at every race he competes in this season. T-shirts are $25 each and hoodies are $35 apiece.

SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Safecraft Safety Equipment

Safecraft Safety Equipment is used by most of the top professionals in motor sports, automotive, aviation, marine and other demanding industries. The company is known for its innovative designs and its products are engineered with the highest quality components available. Safecraft is the largest manufacturer of vehicle fire suppression systems in the United States and the most trusted name in motor sports for more than 20 years. For more information, visit http://www.Safecraft.com.

"A company like Safecraft is the perfect addition to the No. 68 team," Johnson said. "With their expansion of Fire Suppression Systems into the market of sprint car racing we plan to help expand their current marketing program."

Johnson would also like to thank Newman Freeman Racing, Johnny Franklin's Mufflers, PitStopUSA.com, Flowmaster, Woodland Napa Auto Parts, VanLare Steering Repair, Wesmar Racing Engines, Wings Unlimited, Schoenfeld Headers, Bell Helmets, LRB Race Products, Champion Machine, Swift Metal Finishing, Shifty Illusions and Chevron Pro-Gas for their continued support.

Back