Chris Ferguson Builds Momentum Headed into ULTIMATE Season-Opener

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Mt. Holly, North Carolina – After his forgettable March Madness event at Cherokee Speedway, Chris Ferguson and his CFM Team have refocused their efforts and have begun to build some early season momentum headed into this weekend’s ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series season opening event at Cleveland County Speedway. The defending ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series champion is very much enthused about his chances at the $4000 to win Southern 100 on Saturday. Ferguson also plans to enter his Mike Mercer owned Barry Wright Race Car in the Friday and Saturday FASTRAK City Chevrolet Touring Division events at Cleveland County.

After entering only 2 events thus far in his Super Late Model Ferguson has a runner-up finish and he was able to salvage a 9th place run at March Madness. “We rushed to get things finished up on the new car for March Madness and it cost us in how we ran. But since then we have been clicking on all cylinders. We ran very well at the Skyler Trull Memorial and we had a shot to win it but ran out of time. And then at the Carolina Crown we qualified pretty well and won a heat race. I believe we had an excellent chance to win it too. So me and the guys are riding a real nice wave of momentum for this weekend. Our confidence is there because we have been running well and I have traditionally run well at Cleveland County. So we are feeling pretty good about where we are going in.” Ferguson commented.

Ferguson has indeed fared well in his last two outings at Carolina Speedway in Gastonia, North Carolina and at Lancaster Speedway in Lancaster, South Carolina respectively. As the defending winner of the Skyler Trull Memorial at Carolina, Ferguson came in as one of the odds on favorites to take the checkers again. Ferguson started out the evening in fine fashion by besting the other 27 Carolina Clash entrants in time trials with a lap of 15.931 seconds to capture the coveted pole position for the start of the A-Main. Ferguson picked up a $500 prize for his fast time effort which he later donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation which the event benefits. Ferguson led in the early going but slipped as far back as fourth before rallying late in the race to race eventual winner Luke Roffers for the lead. “We had some chances there in traffic to get the lead back but I didn’t want to do something that could have taken Luke out in the process. So we had to settle for second but it felt great to be right there racing for the win.” Ferguson added.

Ferguson continued his resurgence the next week for the $20,000 Carolina Crown at Lancaster Speedway in Lancaster, South Carolina. Ferguson toured the big ½ mile in 18.644 seconds which was good enough to put him 3rd quick among the stellar 25-car field. Ferguson timed in just behind fastest qualifier Jared Landers who set a new track record on his lap and Landers’ teammate Jonathan Davenport. Ferguson then thwarted a late race charge by Chris Madden to take the win in the 3rd and final heat race. Ferguson had built a comfortable lead but saw that evaporate as he tried to negotiate through lapped traffic. “We got to that lapped car and I was really hesitant to pass him on the top. We are going so fast at Lancaster I didn’t want to take the chance of having him slide up into us through the corner. So I chugged it down and cut under him and Chris got a run on us.” Ferguson said.

Madden surged ahead of Ferguson’s #22 Warrior machine entering turn one but Ferguson used his high-side momentum to launch himself back into the lead down the back straightaway. Ferguson then cruised over the remaining laps to take the win ahead of Madden and Steve Shaver. With the feature event lined-up in staging the skies opened up and deluged the racetrack causing promoters to push the race back to Sunday afternoon. After heavy rains continued throughout the night and morning, Carolina Crown officials made the decision to postpone the event until April 7th. “We had a great car at Lancaster I believe we were going to be able to contend for the win. But that’s racing. They can’t control the weather. I want to thank Cody Sommers and his staff for putting on such a huge event. I am disappointed that more racers didn’t support the event. But I still believe it was going to be a great show. So we are going to head back over there on April 7th and try to finish the job we started.” Ferguson concluded.

Ferguson would like to recognize all the sponsors on his #22 Warrior Super Late Model including Starrette Trucking, Hals Plumbing, Carver and Sons Roofing, Quality Landscape Materials, Big A’s Custom Graphics, Keith’s Handyman Service, Randy Clary Race Engines, Warrior Race Cars, Quality Fasteners Inc, K&N Filters, FK Rod Ends, Fragola Performance Systems, ThreeWide Clothing, Schaeffer’s Racing Oil and Lubricants, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems, Hooker Harness, Port City Racing, Keyser Manfacturing, Griffin Radiators, Weld Wheels, Outerwears, RF Composites, KELCAR Motorsports Media, Hypercoil, CV Products, Indocil Art, Dixon Creations, Oakley, ASI Racewear, Air Speed Race Products, Hawk Performace, DirtXtra.com, Velocita USA, Brinn Transmissions, and Behrent’s Performance Warehouse.

For more information and to keep up with Chris and his CFM Team’s 2012 schedule visit his home on the World Wide Web at www.chrisfergusonmotorsports.com You can also like our fan page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ChrisFerguson22 or follow Chris on Twitter @ChrisFerguson22

Back